Dylan awarded the Nobel!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Dylan awarded the Nobel!
« Reply #20 on: 14 Oct 2016, 05:13 pm »
It's ironical that the man who invented dynamite now has a peace prize named after him.
Yes, Dylan didn't volunteer to go fight in Viet Nam. He didn't believe it was a just war like many of his generation. History has proven his stance was correct. Millions of Vietnamese were killed, the VC won but then the domino's didn't fall and the communists didn't continue on a march to Australia and beyond. Vietnam was left devastated. Millions dead, landscape scarred by carpet bombing and agent orange...all for nothing.
I too respect those who served. Its too bad their leaders failed them.
Nowadays there's no draft to fight our wars which is a shame. War wouldn't be so popular if you have to put your own life on the line.
Masters of War definitely distilled the feelings of those that were protesting the war at the time.
+1
''I need you to know that, this is very important what we are fighting for,
because I'm tired, I'm really really tired of manipulations.
I'm tired of how the press is manipulating everything that has been happening to this situation.
They do not tell the truth, they are lying!
They manipulate our history books.
The history books are not true, it's a lie.
The history books are lying!
You need to know that,
You must know that.''
Michael Jackson 1958-2009

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 14 Oct 2016, 05:18 pm »
Wayner - You are correct in saying that there is a Nobel Peace Prize. You are wrong in assuming that is what was awarded to Dylan. He won the Nobel Prize for Literature which doesn't support your rant about military service quite so well.

I don't think I was on a "rant" but was more confused about the award and the reasons why it was given to him. I still stand behind my comments. If Dylan would have gone over there and got first hand eyewitness accounts, I would have had a different opinion on the subject.

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 14 Oct 2016, 05:24 pm »
2Bigears.......wow, I hope you feel better :)!

Just remember (what ever country you live in) that almost all politicians have become professional politicians. People who report the news are liberal arts graduates. Reporters no longer investigate a story completely, that is where their creative writing comes in.

'ner

charmerci

« Reply #23 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:06 pm »

charmerci

« Reply #24 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:07 pm »
Nobel was an armaments manufacturer who created many inventions.

The Nobel prizes were created via his will after he died. There are prizes in physics, chemistry, medicine, peace, literature and more recently a "economic science" prize.

Anyway, the literature prize obviously was awarded to him because of Dylan's influence in music and literature and the high quality that he brought to that field.

If you want to argue about that fine - but these other arguments are rather superfluous.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:07 pm »
Dylan is the poet laureate of my generation. His lyrics spoke to my generation in many ways and not just about war. Songs like Hurricane; Like a Rolling Stone; Positively Fourth Street; Sarah; and rambling lyrics like Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again; etc. I like the award and think he is deserving. Is it any less "literature" because his poetry are lyrics to songs?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #26 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:10 pm »
2Bigears.......wow, I hope you feel better :)!

Just remember (what ever country you live in) that almost all politicians have become professional politicians. People who report the news are liberal arts graduates. Reporters no longer investigate a story completely, that is where their creative writing comes in.

'ner
Read Dark Money by Jane Meyer.

Folsom

« Reply #27 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:15 pm »
Are you sure this isn't like giving Obama the Nobel Peace Prize? As in if you give it to Bob Dylan he'll have nothing left to live up to, so he'll spare us all from singing again in his old, much changed voice, state. His work is done, he can leave singing to his son.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #28 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:20 pm »
Are you sure this isn't like giving Obama the Nobel Peace Prize? As in if you give it to Bob Dylan he'll have nothing left to live up to, so he'll spare us all from singing again in his old, much changed voice, state. His work is done, he can leave singing to his son.
+1
His voice sucks. He did his best work in his early and middle periods.

2bigears

« Reply #29 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:33 pm »
 :D.   Back on track ,, Blood on Tracks ,,, Dylan actually used a lot of other people's words in his songs.    I listened to R66 revisit without reading liner words the other day   I have no dam idea what that dude is singing about.      I saw him at Barclay Centre and I never picked out one word he sang the whole show.   And I really tried.   Ha.  He sounded like a frog getting stepped on ,  my good lord.  But peeps thought he was cool.

willswing

« Reply #30 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:48 pm »
Did'nt his mother teach him to say thanks?????????

Photon46

« Reply #31 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:54 pm »
Really? I had no idea about that. Then again, in all fairness, I have to confess that cannot imagine spending $1,000,000 per year. It's not that I question my ability to do so. There are plenty of vendors who would be able to justify taking that much from me. I just can't see wanting to buy at that rate. Even if I could find enough to buy in my first year, what would I buy in year two - and going forward? Dylan must get several times that much every year in royalties alone. He's been a high profile recording artist for 50 years and has been covered hundreds, if not thousands, of times. Do you have any idea how he plows through so much cash?

From what I've read over the years, he's got big expenditures in two categories; multiple homes and properties across the US and multiple women whose company he keeps and once kept and their families. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1179512/Bob-Dylan-hid-marriage--daughter--15-years-Could-concealed-TWO-brides-FOUR-children.html

He's a pretty private guy, so a lot of the stuff you read in the press may be just speculation.

charmerci

« Reply #32 on: 14 Oct 2016, 07:03 pm »
From what I've read over the years, he's got big expenditures in two categories; multiple homes and properties across the US and multiple women whose company he keeps and once kept and their families. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1179512/Bob-Dylan-hid-marriage--daughter--15-years-Could-concealed-TWO-brides-FOUR-children.html

He's a pretty private guy, so a lot of the stuff you read in the press may be just speculation.

Especially the Daily Mail. It's not a reliable source of information. Ask any Brit.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #33 on: 14 Oct 2016, 10:08 pm »
+1
Since you mentioned his funny voice, it prevent me to listen all his songs.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2016, 11:25 pm by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 14 Oct 2016, 10:17 pm »
What is the difference between Mr.Zimmerman and Lennon?
Why Lennon was removed and Zimmerman awarded?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #35 on: 14 Oct 2016, 11:28 pm »
+1

I agree. There are some early Dylan songs that are best when Bob sings them in his nasal voice, but a great number of those early songs were covered by a lot of artists who could sing them better and did a good job of interpreting his songs. I can't imagine anyone other than Dylan singing the songs on Blonde on Blonde. Blood on the Tracks would be another one. I personally like his singing on the first Traveling Wilbury's album. Several years ago there was a Dylan exhibit at Experience Music in Seattle with a board where one could hear every cover of Blowin in the Wind ever done. It was cool and pretty much everyone of them sounded better than Dylan.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #36 on: 15 Oct 2016, 08:05 pm »

I agree. There are some early Dylan songs that are best when Bob sings them in his nasal voice, but a great number of those early songs were covered by a lot of artists who could sing them better and did a good job of interpreting his songs. I can't imagine anyone other than Dylan singing the songs on Blonde on Blonde. Blood on the Tracks would be another one. I personally like his singing on the first Traveling Wilbury's album. Several years ago there was a Dylan exhibit at Experience Music in Seattle with a board where one could hear every cover of Blowin in the Wind ever done. It was cool and pretty much everyone of them sounded better than Dylan.
Dylans voice sounds quite good on Nashville Skyline. Actually, I like his voice on his early albums. A little rough around the edges but I like that compared to much of the overproduced music nowadays. I'm not sure when his  voice started to sound like he gargled with razor blades. I prefer the lyrics in his early to mid era also.
One of my favorite early albums (1965) is Bringing it All Back Home.
Mr. Tambourine Man really gets into the realm of poetry.  Here's the last stanza from that masterpiece all done iambic pentameter.

Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me
I'm not sleepy and there ain't no place I'm going to
Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come following you

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time
Far past the frozen leaves
The haunted frightened trees
Out to the windy bench
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free