Headphone marketing, and the future of audiophilia

dB Cooper

Headphone marketing, and the future of audiophilia
« on: 22 Oct 2014, 07:52 pm »
So I happened into my local Radio Shack not long ago and on the way out noticed their headphone display:

Two things jump out at me here:
  • The idea of being able to plug in the headphones on display into the device of your choice, using your own source material is a good one.
  • The implication of the posing mirrors seems to be that how they look on you is at least as important as how they sound.

I'm glad that I bought my HD650's when I did as even Sennheiser seems to be succumbing to fashion-statement-itis:
http://sennheiser-urbanite.com/en-US/

Nothing creepy about that, huh?

And I don't know if anybody saw this, but...
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/27/tech/innovation/death-stereo-system/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

The CNN piece is interesting as it covers public perception. I've said it before: There needs to be an entry level. People aren't going to be enticed into the hobby if they think they have to pay $1K just for a power cord to plug it in.

Thoughts?

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Re: Headphone marketing, and the future of audiophilia
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2014, 08:04 pm »
That article is missing the revitalization of vinyl as a format, even if it's going to components that aren't the size of silver-faced receivers of the '70s.

There needs to be an entry level. People aren't going to be enticed into the hobby if they think they have to pay $1K just for a power cord to plug it in.

I still can't believe what Schiit charges for their stuff. Talk about affordable, even to college students...

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:05 pm »
    • The implication of the posing mirrors seems to be that how they look on you is at least as important as how they sound.

That reminds me of the last time my wife bought snowboard boots. After trying them on the sales guy brough her a mirror.
    Apparantly she was the first women/girl who did not care how they looked!

I'm glad that I bought my HD650's when I did as even Sennheiser seems to be succumbing to fashion-statement-itis:
    http://sennheiser-urbanite.com/en-US/
    Nothing creepy about that, huh?
    At first that was hillarious...then it just got weird!
    The CNN piece is interesting as it covers public perception. I've said it before: There needs to be an entry level. People aren't going to be enticed into the hobby if they think they have to pay $1K just for a power cord to plug it in.
    Thoughts?
    I think there is plenty of excellent entry-level items, what needs to change is this stupid notion that you have to pay to get good, and therefore low price=junk.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:20 pm »
    That article is missing the revitalization of vinyl as a format, even if it's going to components that aren't the size of silver-faced receivers of the '70s.

I still can't believe what Schiit charges for their stuff. Talk about affordable, even to college students...

Just bought a Schiit Modi DAC. Sounds pretty good. So there are exceptions.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2014, 10:29 pm »
      I think there is plenty of excellent entry-level items, what needs to change is this stupid notion that you have to pay to get good, and therefore low price=junk.
    It's keeping a low profile then... At Capitol AudioFest the only rooms where the system cost wasn't five figures (in some cases, six) were Odyssey, "the Clue" minimonitors, and a room showing powered computer speakers. Agree with the statement about high cost being equated to high SQ though. I heard one system that cost $100k+ complete. I thought my entry level Dynaco system from the Mesozoic era sounded better.[/list]

mccarverone

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2014, 07:50 pm »
    I believe it could be really hard to find good stuff in big distribution chains where inventory is not built on quality but rather on suppliers' current availability.
    I guess in my opinion Internet should still be the way to go, by letting you choose wisely even when you are looking for entry level products :wink: