Loud popping sound when turning off an amp...should I be concerned??

john1970

Dear Everyone,

I recently purchased a multichannel amp to use with my HT system.  The amp is a solid state class D design.  Today I installed it into my system and I noticed that when I turn off the map I get a loud (audible from 15 ft. away) pop from one of the speakers.  When I turn off the amp all other equipment is turned off.  Also, if I disconnect other speakers from the amp and move the speaker from one channel to the next that 3 channles make a loud popping sound and 2 are dead silent..

The manufacturer has a 30-day money back guarantee less 15%.  Frankly, I am very much considering using it.

PLEASE OFFER ADVICE!

Best,

John

AVnerdguy

Absolutely you should be concerned. Popping could be many things but usually indicates a breakdown in a solid state device or a cap shorting out when discharging. Possible DC going right to your speaker coils - can open the windings. Definitely not a good thing :o

john1970

Absolutely you should be concerned. Popping could be many things but usually indicates a breakdown in a solid state device or a cap shorting out when discharging. Possible DC going right to your speaker coils - can open the windings. Definitely not a good thing :o

Thank you for the advice.  I will be contacting the manufacturer first thing Monday morning and make arrangements for a full refund.  Products sounds defective to me.

Best,

John

AVnerdguy

If it was a soft thump I wouldn't worry about it but a pop from 15' is a bit much. And since the other channels don't exhibit that issue it sounds like a defective component of some sort. Yes, go for the warranty and in the meantime unplug it and box it up.

john1970

If it was a soft thump I wouldn't worry about it but a pop from 15' is a bit much. And since the other channels don't exhibit that issue it sounds like a defective component of some sort. Yes, go for the warranty and in the meantime unplug it and box it up.

I agree.  I am use to a soft thump or a slight hiss, but this is a loud popping sound on 3 of 5 channels!

Thanks,

John

hdspeakerman

i turn my amp off first and on last.  it seems to help for me.  howard

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover

Turn on sequence;
You should always turn on your source first, then the preamp, then the amplifier

Turn off sequence;

Always turn off the amplifier first, then the preamp, then the source.

If your not doing it in that order , YOU NEED TO :thumb:

Kindest Regards,
 Bill

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Turn on sequence;
You should always turn on your source first, then the preamp, then the amplifier

Turn off sequence;

Kindest Regards,
 Bill

Big +1 ..... :thumb:

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
john1970,

Check on the boards if there are any multi-turn trimmers for adjusting DC offset. I have a some class D boards where one needs to adjust the trimmers for 0V DC offset. Measure the speaker outputs with a multi-meter.

IF this still persists, consider using a speaker protector that offers a 10 second start up delay, as well as instant turn off when you turn the power off. That way you never have to cringe everytime you power on/off. Nothing like destroying a $650 Accuton ceramic cone into a million pieces of china due to a transient.

john1970

Dear Everyone,

Thank you for the advice.  Because the unit has 30-day money back garauntee and I am sure that opening the unit violates the warranty I am going to return the unit.  Seriously, the amp is brand new out of the box.  You would think that a manufacturer would have check for this issue prior to shipping.  I have spoken with another amp manufacturer and they stated that the amp could very well be passing DC and damaging my speaker's voice coils.

Best,

John

roymail

• Roy in TX
Turn on sequence;

Turn off sequence;

Kindest Regards,
 Bill

EXCELLENT ADVICE...!  :thumb: