Projector setup advice.

TJHUB

Projector setup advice.
« on: 10 Feb 2016, 02:11 pm »
I moved to a home that I think is perfect for a projector setup.  The room has limited natural light, so darkening the room even in the middle of a sunny day is easy.  I don't want to spend a bunch of money, so I'm thinking of getting a BenQ HT1075 projector, and a Silver Ticket screen.  I'm open to other suggestions there, but you can gather my buget from my choices.

My need for advise surrounds setup.  I'm first wondering about screen size.  I'd like to go 120" diagonal, but the seating is just 13" from the screen.  Is 120" too big?  Will the picture look grainy at that distance with a 1080 projector?  I also plan to watch TV shows with the family on this, and I'm wondering if the screen will feel too big for TV?  The seating is just a large sectional couch and matching reclining chair.  So seating is 1 row, but rather wide.

My other setup issue surrounds projector placement.  The room is the lower level of a tri-level home.  It is completely finished with drywall, so running power and cables won't be easy.  I wanted to mount the projector on a shelf located on the left wall when facing the screen.  I can easily get power and cables there, but I understand this is not recommended for best performance.  If I have to keep the projector centered with the screen, then ceiling mounting is my other option.  I have an idea to get power and cables there, but it is an idea, and certainly won't be easy.  I do not want to dig into the drywall, as matching the existing texture is not really possible.  Also, if I do go ceiling mount, the projector will be right above the seating.   

I am remodeling the home.  I am about to start remodeling this room next week.  My remodeling is new paint, lighting, switches, outlets, and all new doors and trim.  I need to get this figured out so I can incorporate all the needed changes into the room before it gets finished.

Any thoughts for me?

Avoosl

Re: Projector setup advice.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2016, 02:56 pm »
    I had the same uncertainties you have before installing my projector system a few years ago.  Here are some thoughts I have that may be of use.

Regarding DISTANCE.  Anything like 12 feet or more should be just fine.  My central seating distance is 16 feet, mostly because that fits with my room, but side seating is variable and can be as close as 10 feet.  I've sat in those positions and - along with my friends who often sit there - find no degradation at all.  Graininess should be not apparent - in HD you can get ridiculously close.  My picture is a little over 9 feet diagonally, which seems plenty big unless you're more than 20 feet away.  There are programs out there which can tell you size versus distance optimality.

Regarding Projector POSITIONING.  Overhead mounting to the ceiling is optimal.  There are plenty of overhead mounting kits available.  Mine happens to be directly over my head, and does not feel threatening - I often don't perceive it.  Even if you have 8 foot ceilings, as long as you aren't more than 6 and a half feet tall, its presence should be no obstacle.

Regarding CABLING.  I read a little on your proposed projector - it sounds like a lot of bang for the buck.  I went with Epson, which is more expensive, mostly for the reputation and their excellent replacement policy ( not needed in the past 6 years).  The BenQ seems to have a wireless capability which may obviate any worries, though I'm not sure of that.  I run an hdmi cable overhead along the ceiling, down to the electronics at the other end of the room.  If you're finicky about appearance you could overlay the cabling with a decorative wooden cradle of some sort.

Regarding SCREEN.  I went with a modest Dalite screen which is suspended above the speakers and works well for me.  If I didn't have monster speakers which happened to work in that position I would have used a ceiling mount.

You're going to love the projection setup, for whatever you view, and you'll wonder why others don't take the same option.

Anything else?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2016, 03:20 pm »
Silver Ticket screens are good value. I have a 125" 2.35:1 and sit about 12 feet away. Price-wise it is a good match for the BenQ.

The wireless version of the 1075 would certainly simplify setup. I used a similar wireless hdmi arrangement when I wanted to put a TV in a room without a cable outlet. It was very reliable. That said, if you are remodeling and can run an HDMI cable to the project, do it.

You might also want to check out the reviews for this unit at http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_ht1075_review.htm. The official review is very positive, but some users seemed to have problems with dust blobs.

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2016, 03:51 pm »
If you get the benq,perhaps you can try it at the dealers...or if can do a home audition.
That way you can try it on the wall where your screen will go.
What I did with mine is I home auditioned a JVC and went from 16x9 sizes on the wall to 235.1.
basically I had my seating in the general area and for screen sizes I put painters tape marking the different sizes I thought would best give me involvement with the movie.
Went from 6' 16x9 to.............................128"x49" cinemascope for that movie theatre affect.
Took me about a week of playing around with sizing the pict and tape to be sure of the size of screen I wanted.
Also you will see how bright your picture will be depending on the distance.
I sit about 9' from the screen(Stewart) and the pict is superb for immersion ect)
projector is ceiling mounted(Chief)about 5'behind me.
The ceiling(drop)is only 7.5 ft high and screen is about 2' off the floor,that way my eyes or neck don't have to look up or down(comfy).Here's an older pict but you get the idea:

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2016, 04:11 pm »
AVS forums have a wealth of information for room setups,screens,projectors :thumb:.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2016, 05:57 pm »
I have a BenQ 1075.  At 13' from lens to screen I get a nice 100" picture - 120" may be possible.  I bought projector and played around before settling on 100" and then ordered screen of that size.  This projector does not need to be centered - it will keystone well if off to side a couple of feet. I used wired, powered HDMI cable, buying a used length on ebay .  My only complaint about projector is noise.  I built a "hush box" using quiet fans from earlier PC experiments and use it as an end table beside the center chair, but noise is still noticeable.  If possible, a ceiling mount that vents noise into attic would be best choice, IMHO.  Gotta say, the picture quality is excellent - makes my 52" TV boring.

TJHUB

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2016, 06:39 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I feel better about the distance thing, but I am concerned about being too close to the projector noise wise. 

Don't judge the ugly room.  It was the previous owner's poor taste.  I nearly have the rest of the house finished, and next up is this room.  To give you all an idea of what I'm dealing with, here is the room:

Please note that the ceiling fan is going.  I was planning to put some flexible track lighting in its place, but now I'm thinking that could interfere with the projector as it needs to be close to where the fan is located.  And note that this is a lower level, so there are rooms above, not attic.

For reference, those are 18" subs and that's a 58" plasma TV.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2016, 07:37 pm »
BenQ also makes a short throw version of the 1075 that can sit closer to the screen.  Might help with noise as well as allow a 120" screen.  I have no experience with it - just did some reading before buying the 1075.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2016, 07:45 pm »
BenQ also makes a short throw version of the 1075 that can sit closer to the screen.  Might help with noise as well as allow a 120" screen.  I have no experience with it - just did some reading before buying the 1075.

FWIW, I have preferred the pj behind or above in terms of noise instead of in front.

In terms of screen size and brightness...don't forget that your bulb will lose intensity rather quickly and then remain at a specific level for many hours.  So you will want to make sure that you have more than enough lumens at the start for a given size.

George

TJHUB

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2016, 08:14 pm »
FWIW, I have preferred the pj behind or above in terms of noise instead of in front.

In terms of screen size and brightness...don't forget that your bulb will lose intensity rather quickly and then remain at a specific level for many hours.  So you will want to make sure that you have more than enough lumens at the start for a given size.

George

Are you thinking this projector isn't bright enough for my application or 120" screen?  The projection range according to the manual for a 120" is:  10' minimum, and 13' maximum.  This range puts the projector right above, or just in front of my seating position. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2016, 09:15 pm »
Are you thinking this projector isn't bright enough for my application or 120" screen?  The projection range according to the manual for a 120" is:  10' minimum, and 13' maximum.  This range puts the projector right above, or just in front of my seating position.

I don't know your particular pj (I have an older Epson model).  The manual isn't going to tell you how bright the image will be, only what distance (usually a range) the pj needs to be from the screen for a given size.

If I recall, projector central has a tool that will show how bright an image will be with a specific pj, at a specific distance, with a specific size.

Unless it has changed, this is the best and brightest scenario and I would plan/adjust accordingly.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2016, 09:19 pm »
I don't know your particular pj (I have an older Epson model).  The manual isn't going to tell you how bright the image will be, only what distance (usually a range) the pj needs to be from the screen for a given size.

If I recall, projector central has a tool that will show how bright an image will be with a specific pj, at a specific distance, with a specific size.

Unless it has changed, this is the best and brightest scenario and I would plan/adjust accordingly.

George

One more variable you need to factor into the equation...

You will lose image brightness if you use the lens shift or zoom.  It varies from pj to pj, but it can be as much as 40% or more of your total light output!!

George

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2016, 11:05 pm »
TJHUB: Are those PSA subwoofers?

TJHUB

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2016, 11:08 pm »
TJHUB: Are those PSA subwoofers?

TC Sounds LMS-Ultra's

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2016, 11:18 pm »
TC Sounds LMS-Ultra's

Nice...I bet those things can move a lot of air.

I just went to duals for the first time, and so far I love it.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent...great choice on going with a projector!  :thumb:

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2016, 02:25 am »
OK - I just projected a 120" + picture with my BenQ1075 with lens abt 13' from screen.  Should be no problem.

TJHUB

« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2016, 03:50 am »
OK - I just projected a 120" + picture with my BenQ1075 with lens abt 13' from screen.  Should be no problem.

Thanks.  I've read enough online to feel comfortable about the 120" screen.  My room is very dark, so that helps too.

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2016, 04:52 am »
I throw out a vote of confidence for 120 at 13', as well.

TJHUB

« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2016, 12:09 pm »
I am settled on the 120" screen, but maybe not the projector. Since I'm certain I will be ceiling mounting, I don't really need the horizontal keystone feature of the TH1075.  It seems the HT2050 might give a little better picture for the same money, but the the main thing is reviews say it's noticeably quieter.

I also think I might just run surface mounted cable raceway from behind the screen directly to the projector.  I'm not all that excited about it, but it's easy and flexible for whatever the future might bring. 

stlrman

« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2016, 01:28 pm »
Are you getting a pull down screen or a fixed mount?