Bryston and Vivid

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
Bryston and Vivid
« on: 8 Dec 2012, 04:24 pm »
Hi all,

Still on a quest for the ultimate speaker for my Bryston setup. Showed a picture of the model T's to my wife and she wasn't impressed, although she seemed to like James who was standing next to them. From a design point of view she seemed to like the Vivid b1 speakers.

Have been strugling to find a description of this combination. Does anyone have experience with this combination? I assume the B100 integrated may be a little power shy, would a 4b have enough output to do these speakers justice?

Will demo the model T's first obviously!

Cheers,
Bob

werd

Re: Bryston and Vivid
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2012, 04:45 pm »
Hi

I have been wanting to hear those Vivids for a long time. The designer came from B&W so that may offer a clue. I am sure they would sound great with any of the sst/2 amps.

PRELUDE

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2012, 06:04 pm »
Hi all,

Still on a quest for the ultimate speaker for my Bryston setup. Showed a picture of the model T's to my wife and she wasn't impressed, although she seemed to like James who was standing next to them. From a design point of view she seemed to like the Vivid b1 speakers.

Have been strugling to find a description of this combination. Does anyone have experience with this combination? I assume the B100 integrated may be a little power shy, would a 4b have enough output to do these speakers justice?

Will demo the model T's first obviously!

Cheers,
Bob
You are comparing the apple and orange and as far the wife is involved I doubt that I could say anything.
The Vivid B1 has 89db sensitivity and the response goes down to 39Hz when Bryston model T has 91db sensitivity and goes dawn to 25Hz.Both speakers are 4ohms and B100 is not good for any of this speakers. If I had the model T,I would play it with a pair of 7 or 28SST2 not the 4BSST2.
I heard both speakers not once but few times. When I was in TAVES show I brought a lot of people in Bryston room to hear the speakers and I came back to the room few times myself and heard the Vivid B1 in different rooms with different set up.
Here is my thought but you have to go out there and listen to both of them yourself.
If you want to get the same sound from different speakers like model T you have to pay 3 time more if it is not an complicated design.
I do not think the Vivid would worth the $15000 and with that money you have a lot of choices out there.

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2012, 09:20 pm »
Hi Prelude,

Thanks for your take on this. Am sort of a novice in high end speakers, but would have thought that at 4 ohms the 4b would pump out 500 watts, which sounds like a lot. Naturally it is not the ideal partner for 15k worth of speakers, but I thought it would give it a run for its money.

Have you heard the Vivids paired with the 7b or 28b, which you suggested? I seem to recall they are mostly patnered with luxman electronics at shows.

Cheers,
Bob

PRELUDE

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2012, 01:53 pm »
Hi Prelude,

Thanks for your take on this. Am sort of a novice in high end speakers, but would have thought that at 4 ohms the 4b would pump out 500 watts, which sounds like a lot. Naturally it is not the ideal partner for 15k worth of speakers, but I thought it would give it a run for its money.

Have you heard the Vivids paired with the 7b or 28b, which you suggested? I seem to recall they are mostly patnered with luxman electronics at shows.

Cheers,
Bob
Hi Bob,
When you go to demo the model T remember the amp that they used to demo the speakers for you. The problem is not just how much power the amp will give you but 4b is an excellent choice to start with then move to 7s a least if not the 28s.
I heard the Vivids with Luxman and parasound only.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2012, 09:09 pm »

So much to chose from - my ears are very partial towards horns  :D

Be well...

acadie

« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2012, 04:39 pm »
Last year, I had a chance to listen for a full evening  to a pair of Vivid Audio Giya G-2 at a local guy who is also a full time audio reviewer. To make sure I was not going to give credit to the other electronic in the system, my host used a 4B-SST² amp and an April Music Eximus DAC/linestage. He had other higher end amps and digital playback on hand. He just wanted to show me how good those Vivid were, even with lesser electronic ( compare to the price of the G2 @ $50K)

I know they are not the B-1 but the reviewer also knows that model and he said they were awesome sounding speakers.

The Giya G2 the best speakers I ever heard. I was almost in tears. You can read the review in Sounstage of the same speakers I had a chance to listen to.

But I never had a chance to listen to the model T.

Here is the link of the review:

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=364:vivid-audio-giya-g2-loudspeakers

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2012, 08:10 pm »
Last year, I had a chance to listen for a full evening  to a pair of Vivid Audio Giya G-2 at a local guy who is also a full time audio reviewer. To make sure I was not going to give credit to the other electronic in the system, my host used a 4B-SST² amp and an April Music Eximus DAC/linestage. He had other higher end amps and digital playback on hand. He just wanted to show me how good those Vivid were, even with lesser electronic ( compare to the price of the G2 @ $50K)

Hi Acadie,

Extremely usefull, thanks. As the sensitivity of both the Giya G-2 and the B1 is the same (rated at 89 db), I think the 4B will do just fine (for now).
Did you get a glimpse at the cables that were used during the demo?

Bob

bapcha

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2012, 02:49 am »
Love Laurence Dickie's designs.  Can't afford them though. The bloody GiYa's are like $40K.

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2012, 08:29 am »
Hi Bapcha,

GiYa's is way out of range for me as well. The drivers for high and midrange are the same in the B1. Not a bass junky anyway, same goes for my neighbours.
Enjoy the soundstaging these speakers provide. Moreover, my wife took one look at the model T's and was not impressed by the way they would blend in.

However I am not buying anything until I have heard the model T's myself though.

Cheers,
Bob

acadie

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2012, 11:32 pm »
Hi Acadie,

Extremely usefull, thanks. As the sensitivity of both the Giya G-2 and the B1 is the same (rated at 89 db), I think the 4B will do just fine (for now).
Did you get a glimpse at the cables that were used during the demo?

Bob

For interconnect, it was a set of Nordost Valhalla between the 4B-SST and the DAC/linestage and Nirvana SL for speaker cable. I am not sure the USB cable use between Laptop and the DAC.

KeithA

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2012, 12:15 am »
Hi Bapcha,

GiYa's is way out of range for me as well. The drivers for high and midrange are the same in the B1. Not a bass junky anyway, same goes for my neighbours.
Enjoy the soundstaging these speakers provide. Moreover, my wife took one look at the model T's and was not impressed by the way they would blend in.

However I am not buying anything until I have heard the model T's myself though.

Cheers,
Bob

Hey Bob, are you in Newfoundland?

I'm in the potential market for a new set of speakers as well. Two ears ago I went down this road and ended buying a new motorcycle  :o

I'd love to hear the Model Ts, but don't expect to. I have had a set of B&W 804s for 10 years now and am looking to get a set of 802 Diamonds early/mid next year (unless I buy another new motorcycle!)

I don't really have to worry about the Wife Appreciation Factor as the speakers will reside in the Man Cave  :lol: :lol:

Keith

PRELUDE

« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2012, 12:36 am »
Hey Bob, are you in Newfoundland?

I'm in the potential market for a new set of speakers as well. Two ears ago I went down this road and ended buying a new motorcycle  :o

I'd love to hear the Model Ts, but don't expect to. I have had a set of B&W 804s for 10 years now and am looking to get a set of 802 Diamonds early/mid next year (unless I buy another new motorcycle!)

I don't really have to worry about the Wife Appreciation Factor as the speakers will reside in the Man Cave  :lol: :lol:

Keith
Believe me you are not alone, even though I cannot explain how did this happened but one time I went to buy a shop vacuum cleaner which I needed and I ended up buying a table saw. :slap:

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2012, 01:29 am »
That is why I never go shopping without a list.  :rotflmao:

Believe me you are not alone, even though I cannot explain how did this happened but one time I went to buy a shop vacuum cleaner which I needed and I ended up buying a table saw. :slap:

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jan 2013, 08:41 pm »
[quote author=KeithA link=topic=112220.msg1166647#msg1166647 date=
Two ears ago I went down this road and ended buying a new motorcycle  :o

Keith
[/quote]

Hi Keith,

Just wondering where you keep your motorcycle.
Hope it's not confined to the cave.

Have heard the B&W speakers on several occasions.
Although they are certainly a class act, they are not really my taste.

Let us know what "machine" you end up with!

Cheers,
Bob