Oppo and iPhone / Media Center app

Muser

• I post at audiogon as muser, and write for PFO.
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Oppo and iPhone / Media Center app
« on: 18 Dec 2014, 10:52 pm »
Probably a really dumb question.

I have an Oppo BDP105, an iPhone with the Oppo Media Control app loaded on my iPhone.
The Oppo is networked with my computer in another room via ethernet. All of the music was ripped from my own CDs.

I can access and play all of those files with my Oppo's remote. However, the Oppo is a poor solution as it
makes me scroll one song/folder at a time, so I have to scroll from say, Abba, Bob Dylan, (The) Carpenters,
before I can access a Devo song/album.

Media Control sees my hard drive and network and I can scroll through all of my folders. Problem. I cannot play any of my files
back with my iPhone using Media Control (the iPhone app). I can see and select the songs, but they don't play.

I'm assuming this is a "authorization" issue, either with iTunes or . . . somewhere in the iPhone.

What do I need to do to create permission to play my music? Or is there something else at work?

In advance, thanks,

Larry

Phil A

Phil A

Re: Oppo and iPhone / Media Center app
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2014, 03:49 am »
As noted on the link, my music is on a hard drive attached to the 103D and works identically to using the remote with the TV on.  I have the music divided into folders (e.g. 2 channel DSD, Multichannel. DSD, Rock, Jazz, etc.) and can access those folders and go to the individual album folders no problem.  That is the Oppo interface.  You can create a playlist and play what you like.  I do that (a playlist) the a BDP-93 in the bedroom system which feeds the outdoor speakers.

Muser

• I post at audiogon as muser, and write for PFO.
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2014, 02:18 pm »
Phil:
Thanks for taking the time.
It's operational. I had previously downloaded the remote control app, which worked. Then I discovered the Media Control app, which didn't work. I can't tell you why it is operational now.
What I did was try the remote control app; then try the Media Control app, and voila! She's working.
Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Larry

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2014, 02:40 pm »
Larry - you're welcome.  Oppo service is wonderful (I have two 103Ds, a 93, a modded 83 and an old DV-980).  I actually had a friend come over yesterday (I gave him a couple of old ASC bass traps I had sitting unused in my garage, brought over my RTA to look at his system and just told him lunch was fine as payment).  He has a modded 95.  I had downloaded the remote control App but never tried it and since I knew he started digitizing things for playback on his 95, I tried the one 103D unit where I have a hard drive attached and when opening the remote control App (which I downloaded about a week and a half ago but had not previously used) the Media Control App popped up and I downloaded it and played a few things (before seeing your post)

My BDP-93 is in the bedroom system which feeds outdoor speakers.  I have audio/video wiring out there where I can take an old computer monitor/analog TV and plug it into a composite video plug and view what is playing in the bedroom.  To change tracks or view what is on the hard drive, I have one of those pyramid repeaters (which I planned) but they will only extend to the bedroom slider going off to the backyard and I just need to be within about 25 feet for the Oppo remote to work.  It was on my agenda to see if I can get an App for the 93, which would also work on my friend's 95 too.  I emailed Oppo customer service yesterday and an hour later I got a response.  I noted there is a Media App for Android, which they confirmed and indicated that currently they don't have the resources to develop one for IOS.  I had seen a $79 Android (almost 8 inch) Tablet which I might need for a secondary system (depending on what upgrade path I do in the main system) but I passed on it as that was the only reason I was going to buy it.  Now that I know I can do Media Control from the BDP-93, I'm going to look in another warehouse club today (belong to 2 different ones) and if they don't have something to my liking I'll grab the other tablet today or tomorrow.