The Monolith open baffle planar speakers

HAL

Re: The Monolith open baffle planar speakers
« Reply #40 on: 16 Nov 2017, 09:06 pm »
Just to document the wiring scheme for the Rythmik HX300 servo amp wiring for the 2x12 H-Frames:

Wire with heat shrink is the driver coil connections to Speakon, 1- Yellow = -, and 1+ Black = +

Wire without heat shrink is the servo coil connections to Speakon, 2 - Yellow = -, and 2 + Black = +

Have the TRS to miniXLR cables ready to try with the dspMusikLCD.

Wiring to the 8 dspMusikLCD DAC's to the amp channels will be:

Outputs 1 = GR Neo3 tweeter, 3 = BG Neo10 midrange, 5 = GR servo sub are left channel connections (top TRS connectors)

Outputs 2 = GR Neo3 tweeter, 4 = BG Neo10 midrange, 6 = GR servo sub are right channel connections(bottom TRS connectors)

Outputs 7 left and 8 right are direct wired input to DAC channels for use with a headphone amp or extra subs if time delay is added.

If you need RCA connectors, then TRS to dual RCA connectors can be used and the right channel (red) output is the + polarity for each channel.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2017, 03:03 am by HAL »

HAL

« Reply #41 on: 18 Nov 2017, 04:02 am »
The two modular 2x12 flat packs from Jay have arrived.  Boxes look in good shape.

Also have 4 - GR-Research SW-12-16FR sub drivers on order.  The two Rythmik HX300 amps are wired and ready.

Will try using a Duratex finish without the texture on these cabinets.  Have some black Duratex from Danny to try.

As time until the end of the year permits, will be doing the glue-up and trying the finish.  Then integrate them with the baffles.  The dspMusikLCD test crossover is done and ready for trials.

HAL

« Reply #42 on: 20 Nov 2017, 06:29 pm »
The 4 - GR-Research SW-12-16FR drivers arrive tomorrow.  All of the other parts are here for the subs. Then the build-up begins. 

The dspMusikLCD crossover is ready and lots of ChipAmps to use for setup. 

HAL

« Reply #43 on: 22 Nov 2017, 02:54 pm »
All the flat packs and parts are here and in storage until early January to start building.  Then time for some listening!

JakeJ

« Reply #44 on: 23 Nov 2017, 01:51 am »
What?  January?!  Why the delay?

I may have missed something earlier in the thread but until this point I "perceived" this build to be continuous from beginning to end.

It is not to be so?

HAL

« Reply #45 on: 23 Nov 2017, 01:59 am »
The holidays have begun and I have a lot of family related travel until late January.

If I can fit building in, will post as I can, but that is my plan as travel starts this week.

JakeJ

« Reply #46 on: 23 Nov 2017, 04:15 am »
OK, please excuse my sefishness and enjoy your holidays and family.  That time is far more precious.

Between this and the Megalith thread you have my attention, Mr. Hollis.  :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #47 on: 23 Nov 2017, 11:16 am »
Glad you are enjoying the threads!

You can watch The Megaliths thread for awhile in Dec.  :thumb:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!   :D

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
« Reply #48 on: 7 Dec 2017, 04:27 pm »
This design is exactly what I have been thinking of building. Waiting for Jan to see how it all goes.

HAL

« Reply #49 on: 7 Dec 2017, 04:32 pm »
Since you are close, a demo is possible once things are done.

Will keep everyone posted once I have more time to build the subs.

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
« Reply #50 on: 8 Dec 2017, 03:34 pm »
That would be great.

HAL

« Reply #51 on: 1 Jan 2018, 05:54 pm »
Happy New Year!

Back from Holiday travel and will start the 1x12 glue-up this week.  Need a new batch of Titebond glue as the other it to old.  Trip to Lowes tomorrow.

Everything is here, so should be pretty quick after the cabinets glue has dried to install drivers and wiring for testing.

HAL

« Reply #52 on: 2 Jan 2018, 07:21 pm »
Going to post the two 2x12 modular H-Frame servo sub cabinet build up in Danny's existing thread for folks to watch.  Here is the link:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139480.msg1655223#new

Will put the planar baffles setup in this thread once I have the servo subs completed.

HAL

« Reply #53 on: 4 Jan 2018, 10:28 pm »
The first 2x12 H-Frame is glued and test fit done.  After snow subsides will get the second box out of storage and glued.

HAL

« Reply #54 on: 6 Jan 2018, 12:45 pm »
Both 2x12 H-Frames are complete and ready to install the drivers and wiring harness for testing.

HAL

« Reply #55 on: 6 Jan 2018, 02:51 pm »
The GR-Research SW-12-FR16, speakon connectors and wiring for the modular servo sub cabinets.

HAL

« Reply #56 on: 6 Jan 2018, 09:07 pm »
Servo driver install and begin wiring.

HAL

« Reply #57 on: 7 Jan 2018, 02:04 pm »
Drivers installed and wiring for the speakers is done. Now for some testing.

Will be using a dspMusikLCD 2x8 for both measurements and testing for the digital crossover for The Monoliths.

HAL

« Reply #58 on: 7 Jan 2018, 09:40 pm »
Setup the new measurement system for the 2x12 servo subs using Room EQ Wizard driving the dspMusikLCD from my PC Netbook. This is very similar to me running it with the MS-3 Music Server. 

REW's latest beta software added ASIO drivers running at 24bit/192KHz that work correctly with the dspMusikLCD.  Nice easy setup for the system.

Using the Earthworks M550 calibrated Omni and 1021 mic preamp for input to the dspMusikLCD.  Works very well with an extremely short impulse response for a measurement mic. 

Tried a ground plane measurement with success and next some nearfield measurements to compare. 

HAL

« Reply #59 on: 7 Jan 2018, 10:25 pm »
What the prototype of The Megaliths looks like with the open baffle planar top added.

The OB top will change from the previous measurements, but this is a good setup for dspMusikLCD crossover design trials.