Feet for HT2-TLs on Tile Floor

August West

Feet for HT2-TLs on Tile Floor
« on: 1 Dec 2017, 08:47 pm »
Hello All,

I've had my HT2-TLs for about 8 years now and they have been in a room with carpet so I have the aluminum cone feet. After the the first of the year I will be moving to a new home that will have tile floors. Can someone recommend something that I can use so I don't have to have the sharp points on the tile. I would like to keep the current feet if possible and would prefer an affordable solution.

Thanks.

WGH

Re: Feet for HT2-TLs on Tile Floor
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2017, 03:40 am »
If $140 is affordable then I recommend Herbie's Brass Decoupling Glider, that is what I use under my HT2-TL's.
And they look great which is just as important as the sound.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm#cone

You can also get 4 chrome plated brass spike pads on eBay for $7.00

https://www.ebay.com/p/4x-Brass-HIFI-Speaker-CD-Spike-Stand-Feet-Shoes-Pad-Base-Silver-Color/715030641?iid=292070505247&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41451%26meid%3Ded70f80fc8104fe0984b8c7935eb01ed%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D301815632366&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

August West

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2017, 01:52 pm »
Thanks WGH. That is just what I was looking for.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2017, 02:32 pm »
If $140 is affordable then I recommend Herbie's Brass Decoupling Glider, that is what I use under my HT2-TL's.
And they look great which is just as important as the sound.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm#cone

Those Herbies are cool, as they also do some amount of decoupling.

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2017, 02:46 pm »
Might not be considered afordable but if you want a whole-system-like upgrade in performance, get ISOacoustic GAIA footers.

August West

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2017, 03:21 pm »
Thanks jriggy. Those look very nice but I'm finding building a custom home is draining most of my discretionary income at the moment so they are probably more than I need to be spending at the right now. But I bookmarked the site.

Chris Adams

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2017, 03:26 pm »
I've been using the Herbie's Brass Decoupling Glider (both sizes) for a few years and they are a large bang for the buck. Makes it easy to slide the speakers around as well, if that's something ever needed.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2017, 05:48 pm »
If $140 looks steep, you can do this for less than $15.  Order 2 sets of these gold plated ($1.95) or chrome plated ($1.80) from Madisound:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/tiptoes/feet/floor-protectors-gold-plated-set-of-4/

And 2 sets of Magic Sliders that should fit them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFURZ/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_4_w

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2017, 12:14 am »
Would bitcoins + magic sliders work?

billmcc

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2017, 12:43 am »
I have HT2-TLs as well on pine floors so spikes are not possible. I currently just use the plinths with no feet. How stable are the Herbie's Brass Decoupling Gliders with the included spikes? One of the speakers is in an area of my living room where it could possibly be bumped against. I would feel more comfortable with a 1" round or larger flat hard rubber threaded feet. Any suggestions for something like that would thread into the HT2-TLs threaded inserts?

Chris Adams

« Reply #10 on: 3 Dec 2017, 12:52 am »
I've had the Herbie's Brass Decoupling Gliders under three pairs of speakers from about 70 lbs each to 208 lbs each and found them very stable. If your speakers are stable with the spikes, they will remain stable with the gliders.

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2017, 01:24 am »
Would bitcoins + magic sliders work?

Maybe but bitcoins only work with digital music.

August West

« Reply #12 on: 3 Dec 2017, 04:16 am »
I have HT2-TLs as well on pine floors so spikes are not possible. I currently just use the plinths with no feet. How stable are the Herbie's Brass Decoupling Gliders with the included spikes? One of the speakers is in an area of my living room where it could possibly be bumped against. I would feel more comfortable with a 1" round or larger flat hard rubber threaded feet. Any suggestions for something like that would thread into the HT2-TLs threaded inserts?

I see Herbie's also makes Threaded Stud Gliders which could thread directly into the plinth. That might be something to look into. I'm thinking about those for my HT2-TLs instead of the Brass Decoupling Gliders.

billmcc

« Reply #13 on: 3 Dec 2017, 04:24 am »
I've had the Herbie's Brass Decoupling Gliders under three pairs of speakers from about 70 lbs each to 208 lbs each and found them very stable. If your speakers are stable with the spikes, they will remain stable with the gliders.
Chris,

Thanks for your thoughts! I think I found what will work perfectly.......

I see Herbie's also makes Threaded Stud Gliders which could thread directly into the plinth. That might be something to look into. I'm thinking about those for my HT2-TLs instead of the Brass Decoupling Gliders.
AW,

I was just going to post about finding the Threaded Stud Gliders but you beat me to it. They look the same as the Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders but threaded. I'll most likely go with these as they offer much better stability and decoupling as well. Anyone recall the thread size on Salk plinths?

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

R Swerdlow

« Reply #14 on: 3 Dec 2017, 05:26 pm »
Anyone recall the thread size on Salk plinths?
If I recall, the threads on my SongTowers and Veracity STs were both ¼"-20.  Ask Jim to be certain if he used the same on HT2-TLs.  Or you can remove one of your existing aluminum cones and take the threaded stud to a hardware store.  They always have a thread gauge you can use.

Don_S

« Reply #15 on: 3 Dec 2017, 05:31 pm »
If I recall, the threads on my SongTowers and Veracity STs were both ¼"-20.  Ask Jim to be certain if he used the same on HT2-TLs.  Or you can remove one of your existing aluminum cones and take the threaded stud to a hardware store.  They always have a thread gauge you can use.

True.  Home Depot has threaded gauges for both SAE and Metric. I have used them several times.

billmcc

« Reply #16 on: 3 Dec 2017, 11:42 pm »
The Herbie's Threaded Stud Gliders are $130 for a set of 8 which isn't cheap. But I'd rather spend that amount than spending much less for a product that wouldn't be as stable and well built. Even though I bought my HT2-TLs used it's still a lot of money. So $130 is a small fraction of the cost of the HT2-TLs.

Bill

August West

« Reply #17 on: 4 Dec 2017, 01:33 pm »
Anyone recall the thread size on Salk plinths?
http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

I am going to remove one later today and measure it. I'll let you know but from memory they were 3/8-16 but I'm going to check to be sure. That was long time ago when I installed them.

Update - I just check and my HT2-TLs are 3/8-16.
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2017, 02:46 pm by August West »

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 4 Dec 2017, 07:21 pm »
I am going to remove one later today and measure it. I'll let you know but from memory they were 3/8-16 but I'm going to check to be sure. That was long time ago when I installed them.

Update - I just check and my HT2-TLs are 3/8-16.

Yes, they are 3/8-16.

- Jim