JVC HA-S400 Headphones- the $27 wonder?

murphy11

Re: JVC HA-S400 Headphones- the $27 wonder?
« Reply #100 on: 17 Jan 2013, 10:00 pm »
ecline, I am definitely in the right place with mods especially if they are cheap and simple. For amyone who hasn't tried the mods, feel free to try them as they are simple and cheap. The three screws are small but can be unscrewed by hand. Go slow and be patient. The only thing I didn't get the first time is there is knotted wire inside the cup and it fits inside a square indentation in Charmerci's photo. After adding the duct tape and desired stuffing, when putting the driver back on make sure the knot lines up with the square indentation. If it doesn't the driver won't sit flush on the bottom of the cup.

I have read and will monitor this thread for other ideas that are shared. I aleady ordered the Brainwavz HM5 replacement pads and am checking delivery status on a daily basis :) They show as being in Hong Kong and I'm really looking forward to trying them out.

My head is pretty big and these pads get uncomfortable after long periods of time. I'm hoping that the new pads are softer and improve the sound. If they do either they will have been worth the purchase price.

charmerci

« Reply #101 on: 18 Jan 2013, 12:05 am »
I like this guy, his first cans and he's in there tweaking them...welcome!!!!! Your in the right place.... :thumb: :thumb:

Hey guys is the q-tip mod putting something under the rim of the earcups??  Somebody post a list of the mods so far I think I'm way behind. Are the earpads a pain in the ass to get back on when you pull them off to open the drivers up???????

You take q-tips and slip them into the pads (center outwards) without taking them off. Maxx134's post here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-affordable-carbon-nanotube-cans-for-the-masses/840#post_9063355  (This also has paper towel shoved in there too.)

There is also replacing the stock pads with others - already referenced here on p.2

All the other mods are variations of what I have already posted here - except covering up the back of the speaker (which I don't feel like doing) that Maxx134 did here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-affordable-carbon-nanotube-cans-for-the-masses/840#post_9063355  post #844 second photo. 

(As a reminder, my variation on the TP mod is using a piece of cloth.)

Putting the pads on is not technically difficult but it's not like you can just quickly slip them on. You have pull part of it bit by bit to fit the piece back in the groove as it is a tight fit.

So there you have it, Ed.

murphy11

« Reply #102 on: 18 Jan 2013, 04:51 am »
You take q-tips and slip them into the pads (center outwards) without taking them off. Maxx134's post here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-affordable-carbon-nanotube-cans-for-the-masses/840#post_9063355  (This also has paper towel shoved in there too.)
  Thanks for the pointer. The Qtip mod is on page 53 post 782. I couldn't visualize until I saw that pic.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #103 on: 19 Jan 2013, 12:05 pm »
Thanks guys!  I did the Q tip mod with tissue already and I'm too lazy to do all that work with Q tips.
Charmerci thanks for the description that really helps me as my hands are not as precise as they once were because of
Peripheral Neuropathy so I'll wait until my son comes up and make him fight that puzzle.

Did anyone try modding the next model up? I didn't get them I'm just curious.
 :thumb:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #104 on: 19 Jan 2013, 03:28 pm »
71.33$ in Canada :deadhorse:

charmerci

« Reply #105 on: 19 Jan 2013, 05:50 pm »
Thanks guys!  I did the Q tip mod with tissue already and I'm too lazy to do all that work with Q tips.
Charmerci thanks for the description that really helps me as my hands are not as precise as they once were because of
Peripheral Neuropathy so I'll wait until my son comes up and make him fight that puzzle.

Also, use electrical tape rather than duct tape. Duct tape is a bear to cut into curves and precise shapes.

Folsom

« Reply #106 on: 19 Jan 2013, 07:45 pm »
I ordered a pair; thanks a lot jerks.

murphy11

« Reply #107 on: 19 Jan 2013, 07:59 pm »
Now that is funny!

charmerci

« Reply #108 on: 19 Jan 2013, 08:10 pm »
I ordered a pair; thanks a lot jerks.

Yeah well, the only way to avoid that is to avoid AC completely. My bank account is lesser for it, too!

ACA anyone? :roll:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #109 on: 21 Jan 2013, 01:36 am »
I did the electrical tape mod last night.  I worked well dampening unwanted vibration.  Thanks.

charmerci

« Reply #110 on: 21 Jan 2013, 02:50 am »
I did the electrical tape mod last night.  I worked well dampening unwanted vibration.  Thanks.

That's what us jerks are here for!  :lol:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #111 on: 21 Jan 2013, 03:34 am »
Here's to all the jerks in the world especially those here at AC.   I think I'll go and No Rez my 6 ft tall line source speakers now.   or just line them with electrical tape. 

charmerci

« Reply #112 on: 21 Jan 2013, 03:44 am »
Here's to all the jerks in the world especially those here at AC.   I think I'll go and No Rez my 6 ft tall line source speakers now.   or just line them with electrical tape.

Vibrations from loudspeakers is much more energetic than what comes from headphones. Electrical tape won't do much good.

SET Man

« Reply #113 on: 21 Jan 2013, 04:16 am »
Hey!

Yup, thanks to you guys. I got a pair also.  :icon_lol:

Arrived a little over a week ago. My first impression was that the finish is nice, with nice feel overall and not too heavy. They are rather well made for $27.

I put them through 4 days of straight break-in with pink noise and some musics.  The ear pads do a pretty good isolating the outside noise. Sound wise. The mid is good the high although not as extended as my other headphones I have it is still clear and detailed. One thing if I have to pick on these is the bass or rather mid bass is too thumpy, loose, lack the tight control and too prominent. And other minor thing is the little bit of plasticky sound.But overall I'm impress with these $27 headphones. And they can be fold up nicely so they are perfect for outside use.

Keep in mind that I haven't done anything to them yet. Still I think I prefer using my Grado SR125 or AKG K77 at home. Here are link to them...

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDGsc2s

I'm planning to do some mod like I did with my AKG K77 when I have time. And will report back. Well, do I need another headphones? No... but now I have a pair that I can take outside if needed. Thanks guys :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #114 on: 21 Jan 2013, 04:25 am »
I like them because I travel and if I lose them its not a huge loss.  The electrical tape mod did clean up the bass distortion alot.  I'll be on the road tuesday to thursday.   Ear buds end up in the washer and dryer and at the dry cleaners for me.   I lose them very quickly.  Yes these have thier limitations but WTF its only $27.  For me it was $31 delivered.

Now I have to work on listening to them with a decent amp portable amp. 

ajzepp

« Reply #115 on: 21 Jan 2013, 04:42 am »
Hey!

Yup, thanks to you guys. I got a pair also.  :icon_lol:

Still I think I prefer using my Grado SR125 or AKG K77 at home. Here are link to them...

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

I still consider my Grado 80s to be a better headphone at the $99 price point, but these are solid performers for $27....there are people on head-fi who are saying these are better than some pretty nice gear...I don't subscribe to THAT sort of thinking, but for the money I think they are excellent. I really had no interest at all in a cheapo pair, but these have given me quite a bit of enjoyment. Very hard to go wrong here, but I certainly wouldn't choose these over some of my nicer phones.

ajzepp

« Reply #116 on: 21 Jan 2013, 04:44 am »
I like them because I travel and if I lose them its not a huge loss. 

Exactly....these are almost like disposable headphones in that sense lol. If I break a pair, not a big deal...whereas with my 1350s, even though they're all metal and very durable, I fear something may happen to them if I don't take really good care.

ThomDP

« Reply #117 on: 21 Jan 2013, 04:13 pm »
I still consider my Grado 80s to be a better headphone at the $99 price point, but these are solid performers for $27....there are people on head-fi who are saying these are better than some pretty nice gear...I don't subscribe to THAT sort of thinking, but for the money I think they are excellent. I really had no interest at all in a cheapo pair, but these have given me quite a bit of enjoyment. Very hard to go wrong here, but I certainly wouldn't choose these over some of my nicer phones.

I agree with you I purchased the JVC's and think they're great even in stock form, but they don't sound as good as my Grado SR60's.

However they do go louder with an unamplified source like an IPOD, IPAD, or Sandisck MP3 player and they are isolated much better than the Grado's. So from a functionality standpoint they're better.

I haven't modded mine yet. Maybe I'll think otherwise after?

rodge827

« Reply #118 on: 22 Jan 2013, 10:38 pm »
Modded mine up last night with the Duct Tape mod. I cut out a circle of tape (traced a poker chip to size) for the back of the interior cavity and a 1.5" piece of cotton fabric from an old t-shirt. To cover the front speaker section I over laid two pieces of tape and trimmed using an Ulfa knife.
The sound is more coherent and forward than before, with a whole lot less resonance. The "cavity" effect is completely gone, bass tones decay quicker and more natural, which leaves a lot of room for the rest of the music to flow through.  :D

Folsom

« Reply #119 on: 23 Jan 2013, 08:13 am »
Got mine too.

I put some sock on the inside. It cleaned up the bass a lot, but I think I'll add a second piece of sock as it just wasn't enough to tone down the bass. Then I'll add tape to the outside.

But I did this to the inside and coherence went up a lot. That is the foam you use to seal speakers and stuff, with a stick back, cut in half, and wrapped around the driver holder.