Re: more BRAND NEW high end AVA components
« Reply #20 on: 2 Oct 2011, 10:19 pm »
How about.... Essence?

Euphoria?

Rapture?

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 3 Oct 2011, 12:01 am »
What about something simple like Van Alstine Series One?

WGH

« Reply #22 on: 3 Oct 2011, 12:11 am »
How about "Horizon"?  I think it speaks to the evolution of the product line -- from Insight to Vision to Horizon (as far as one's vision extends).

I like Horizon, I thought of it too but you were first.

All I came up with are Foresight and OutaSight.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #23 on: 3 Oct 2011, 02:42 am »
How about the "Evolution Series" for the ever evolving AVA sound or product line.  "Galaxy Series" or "Jupiter Series", "Nova Series" for out of this world sound. "Genesis or Renaissance Series" for new begining.  "Intrepid Series" for daring or bold.  "Majestic Series"

Frank, maybe you will have some more equipment to review!

trebejo

« Reply #24 on: 3 Oct 2011, 05:33 am »
Impressive achievement Frank, and it will be very nice to see and hear what you are going to do with the Aikido circuit. Not that it makes your current stuff sound any the worse.  8)

The word I thought of when I plugged in my first AVA amp was "diaphany", an epiphany brought about by clarity...

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #25 on: 3 Oct 2011, 05:58 am »
High Zoot

1. Traveling in a rarified atmosphere.
2. Very fine.
3. Choice material.
4. Expensive

gjs_cds

« Reply #26 on: 3 Oct 2011, 06:01 pm »
Horizon suggests aging, termination, death, etc... 

I'm going to throw some dark horses out there...

sagacity.

sapience.

Very dark, I know...  But to me, the essence of the AVA brand is excellence without pretense.  And the excellence is reflecting Frank's purist ideals and values.  Purism through absence, I guess...  So to me, that's reflective of his ear--his wisdom in both critical listening to live & recorded music, as well as his EE excellence as well...  (Dare I say "sage-like"?)  Thus, Sagacity.  Sapience. 

Yeah--I'm a nerd...

Funnehaha

« Reply #27 on: 3 Oct 2011, 07:11 pm »
How about....the Frankincense Series....?   

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #28 on: 3 Oct 2011, 07:42 pm »
Here's another one "Pinnacle Series" or "Summit Series" for top of the line.  My fav is still "Evolution".

gjs_cds

« Reply #29 on: 3 Oct 2011, 08:21 pm »
Names like 'evolution' are kinda cool and simple...but they're also over-used, particularly in audio.

You'd have to set it apart somehow... perhaps something like (R)Evolution or (R)evolution, perhaps...

I remember talking to Frank about this some years ago...

avahifi

« Reply #30 on: 3 Oct 2011, 09:45 pm »
Hi good friends

Some more answers about the new equipment.

1.  We decided to just name them the Fet Valve preamplifier and Fet Valve DAC.  We have not used those names alone since the early 1990s and its time to bring them out of retirement.

2.  We will continue the Avastar preamp and Vision Hybrid DAC in production as the new pieces will cost enough more to separate them out as "bargain" pieces in the world of high end audio.  Besides we have a very nice review on the Vision Hybrid DAC coming very soon it would be a shame to waste.

3.  The Fet Valve 400R and 600R upgrades will go up in price to $1999 at RMAF.  If you were on the fence about upgrading yours, now is the time to do it.  Both the Fet Valve 400R and 600R will go up in price too and will come standard with new three dimensional silver faceplates (not available on upgrades or retrofits - takes major main chassis changes) as will the Fet Valve preamp and DAC.

4.  No retrofits possible from older AVA units to the Fet Valve preamp or DAC, these are completely new circuit designs.

Thanks for your interest.

Frank Van Alstine

Charles Calkins

« Reply #31 on: 3 Oct 2011, 11:18 pm »
Hi good friends

Some more answers about the new equipment.

1.  We decided to just name them the Fet Valve preamplifier and Fet Valve DAC.  We have not used those names alone since the early 1990s and its time to bring them out of retirement.

2.  We will continue the Avastar preamp and Vision Hybrid DAC in production as the new pieces will cost enough more to separate them out as "bargain" pieces in the world of high end audio.  Besides we have a very nice review on the Vision Hybrid DAC coming very soon it would be a shame to waste

Thanks for your interest.

Frank Van Alstine
Frank:
  I know from having my Vision Hybrid DAC up and running for a few months that the review on it will be OUTSTANDING!!!. I've had several DAC's over the years and before I got yours I was always looking for something better. Since I've gotten your Vision Hybrid DAC I quit looking for something better. AND!!! I quit looking for a better preamp since I got your Avastar. Another very fine piece of audio gear.

Cheers
                                                             Charlie

rcag_ils

« Reply #32 on: 4 Oct 2011, 12:23 am »
"Fet Valve" is a good choice, however for the people who remember the old "Fet Valve" from the past will have to pause, and think about it.

rlee8394

« Reply #33 on: 4 Oct 2011, 09:22 am »
Fet Valve Elite
Visionist
Absolute

Stercom

« Reply #34 on: 4 Oct 2011, 10:02 am »
How about Fet Valve II preamplifier and Fet Valve II DAC to help indicate which version it is?

pardales

« Reply #35 on: 4 Oct 2011, 12:40 pm »
Fet Valve "E" for Evolution. "Mk. II" could also work. I liked the "Horizon" suggestion earlier too so maybe, Fet Valve "H". Seems like there should be something to distinguish the original Fet Valve series from the newer generation. Hey, maybe Fet Valve "G" for Generation.
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2011, 09:29 pm by pardales »

gjs_cds

« Reply #36 on: 4 Oct 2011, 03:16 pm »
Not for nuthin', but I'm beginning to get the lines confused...  It used to be (all solid state), (all tube), and (hybrid).  With the competing hybrid lines, my feeble mind's getting taxed... :)

charmerci

« Reply #37 on: 4 Oct 2011, 06:21 pm »

Frank Van Alstine

Meh. Say Fet Valve a bunch of times out loud. Cumbersome.

Something like Excel rolls off of the tongue and sounds sexy!

avahifi

« Reply #38 on: 4 Oct 2011, 07:39 pm »
The new no feedback preamp and DAC circuits my associate Dean Kayser has developed over the past two years finally came together a few months ago incorporating some of the Aikido design work as being simply more "natural" sounding than the best we had previously done.

I designed new PC cards for these circuits and then have had them on the shelf trying to figure out when to announce them.

At the same time, I really wanted better faceplates on our best equipment.  At the last Rocky Mountain Audio Fest I realized that our equipment was simply vanishing into the shadows of the dark room and nobody seemed to notice what was driving the Salk speakers.  Even this year I have noticed that in circles discussing the upcoming RMAF, people have been talking about going to the "Salk Room" as if it was magically and mystically being run by no name invisible electronics. At the recent California Show, Sterephile said that the Salk room had the best bass at the show.  Gee whiz, how do they do that without a power amplifier.  Amazing!

I decided enough was enough and started the process to develop new faceplates you can actually see in dim light and also decided that this was a good time to introduce the new Fet Valve preamp and DAC too, using the new faceplates.

The Vision Hybrid DAC and Avastar preamp still remain great sounding, but they will be in a less expensve second place in our product line.  There is no point discontinuing them as long as you want them. The tooling is paid for and all the parts to build them are in stock.

I hate to kind of obsolete good customers, and I don't intend this to be another iPhone game.  The Fet Valve preamp and DAC are the best we know how to do right now. Decide depending upon what you can afford and what you really like.

Come to RMAF and listen to our best at room 1107 in the tower.  Its a three room wide display this room, big enough to let the music breathe.

One other thing, we are realizing that our equipment sounds much better with diffuse blue LED on lamps than with red neon lamps.  I think we need to try audiophake grade fuses next.  :)

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

pardales

« Reply #39 on: 4 Oct 2011, 09:31 pm »
So what is the pricing on the new generation Fet Valve preamp and DAC?
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2011, 01:35 am by pardales »