Ribbon
Electrostat
Magnetic Planar
Whizzer
None
AMT
Compression
Other

What type of tweeter do you prefer and why?

HsvHeelFan

Re: What type of tweeter do you prefer and why?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2016, 06:31 pm »
I guess I'm a dome tweeter guy.  I've had Infinity RS's  bookshelfs in the 80's that had domes.  My Yamaha NS-1000s had domes and my KEF's have domes.

When I bought the KEF's in the mid-90's,  it took me weeks to choose those and I  listened to every speaker they had in the 1.5K - 10K dollar range.

Dome tweeters sound most natural to me.

My father-in-law has a pair of ESS speakers with the AMT tweeter thing in it and I don't care for those very much.  It may be that due to the ESS Woofer/Passive radiator construction along with that tweeter, the mid range is largely missing.  For rock  and roll, they're great. For Orchestral work, not so much.

I like a natural, even presentation of sound from the entire audio spectrum.

HsvHeelFan

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #21 on: 27 Sep 2016, 06:45 pm »
A poll is really just a rough guide because it's not granular enough. All of the various tweeters can sound fine when implemented well. I suspect many here haven't heard good examples of all the various types.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #22 on: 28 Sep 2016, 12:39 am »
This should prove interesting imho. Like so much else in audio, our preference for tweeters is very subjective.

Nonetheless, my preference is similar to yours. I prefer domes over others, but there have been a few ribbons that really impressed me.

There's no right or wrong here. Perhaps we'll get some good thoughts?

Michael

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #23 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:10 am »
All of the tweeters mentioned, except whizzer, would be better than a full range driver. I like different aspects of different tweeters so no real favorite. I guess my favorite would be whatever tweeter is working best in my seystem at any given time.

Rocket_Undulating_Ronny

Indeed.  There is no full range driver that properly conveys the detail that a well implemented tweeter does.

I've used Beryllium domes, AMTs, ribbons, silk domes, ceramic domes, aluminum domes, ring radiators, compression tweeters, and none convey the transparent window into the recording that the RAAL ribbon does.  Some come close, but only close.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 28 Sep 2016, 11:10 am »
The poll needs to be modified to include compression drivers.
I'm using coated titanium compression drivers  in waveguides. I don't find them harsh. 
Compression tweeters have a bad rep among the audiophile community but when they're employed correctly, they can be very smooth, detailed and fast. My previous speakers were single drivers and in some ways I find the compression drivers in my current speakers less fatiguing while being more extended and detailed. They are also very efficient.
Piezo tweeters also bad reputation in hi-fi,
some audiophiles would like Leaf tweeters.

THROWBACK

« Reply #25 on: 28 Sep 2016, 12:45 pm »
The absolute best tweeter was the Hill Plasmatronics. Over 100dB with practically zero distortion. But there were two problems: 1) the tweeters were so good, the rest of the system couldn't keep up with them; 2) they required helium replenishment bottles (300# each) once a  month or so. Some said the ozone was a problem as well, but I never experienced it (that I know of, that is). But oh, what a sound!

After that, I too am impressed by the Raals.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #26 on: 28 Sep 2016, 05:12 pm »
All ears are different. I have the LCY tweeters in my HT2-TLs and like them a lot. A buddy has the HT2-TLs
with the RAALs and I prefer the LCYs. Just a matter of preference, but I love the sound of my HT2-TLs.

MarkR7

« Reply #27 on: 28 Sep 2016, 08:06 pm »
Never, ever ribbon tweeters for me... Hate them. I really liked the Dynaudio Esotar when I had speakers with them. Now.... only full range single drivers.... As always, YMMV!

datman

« Reply #28 on: 28 Sep 2016, 10:58 pm »
No tweeter. I have a full range driver that negates the need for a tweeter AND  a separate woofer.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #29 on: 29 Sep 2016, 12:54 am »
No tweeter. I have a full range driver that negates the need for a tweeter AND  a separate woofer.

I'm a single driver fan/owner, but I have to disagree.  Most single driver fans I've known simply don't know what they're missing, especially in the lower frequencies.  While my Fostex F200A drivers are rated 30-20,000 Hz, believed to be one of very best extended range drivers, and were expensive ($575 each when last available), they benefit from an ambience tweeter even after EnABL treatment from Bud Purvine himself and don't have a totally commanding grip of deep bass even in Martin King inspired transmission line cabinets.  I consider these speakers to be about as far as a single driver can go (with all the inherent advantages) and am satisfied with them, but they have limitations and the frequency extremes will always be one of them.

bummrush

« Reply #30 on: 29 Sep 2016, 01:10 am »
Domes,,,its really all ive had except a MMG tweeter,which just didnt have good enough amplifier behind it to get  decent sound out of it in the first place.

OzarkTom

« Reply #31 on: 29 Sep 2016, 03:31 am »
Never, ever ribbon tweeters for me... Hate them. I really liked the Dynaudio Esotar when I had speakers with them. Now.... only full range single drivers.... As always, YMMV!
+1

I hate ribbons also, not in the 40 years I have been in audio that I have liked them.

The no mass plasma tweeters are the absolute best, but not cheap. If at RMAF next month, go hear Jim Vaugh's plasmas and everyone here will probably agree.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #32 on: 30 Sep 2016, 12:20 pm »
I'm a single driver fan/owner, but I have to disagree.  Most single driver fans I've known simply don't know what they're missing, especially in the lower frequencies.  While my Fostex F200A drivers are rated 30-20,000 Hz, believed to be one of very best extended range drivers, and were expensive ($575 each when last available), they benefit from an ambience tweeter even after EnABL treatment from Bud Purvine himself and don't have a totally commanding grip of deep bass even in Martin King inspired transmission line cabinets.  I consider these speakers to be about as far as a single driver can go (with all the inherent advantages) and am satisfied with them, but they have limitations and the frequency extremes will always be one of them.
You want a woofer below what freq?
12 or 15inches?
(Dont consider an active sub please).

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #33 on: 30 Sep 2016, 01:44 pm »
I went with dome tweeters. If asked a few years ago I would've specified fabric domes but that has changed for me. The Thiel CS-1.6 was the first speaker with a metal tweeter I owned that sounded natural and now my Revel M20s with metal dome tweeter sound very smooth.

Haven't heard a lot of ribbon tweeters, but those I have heard don't make me want to hear more. Also must point out, the best representation of cymbals I've heard was with a pair of Magnepan 1.6s I owned.

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #34 on: 1 Oct 2016, 02:58 pm »
  There is no full range driver that properly conveys the detail that a well implemented tweeter does

Wrong!
Sound Lab electrostatic panels. Full range (24 Hz to ultrasonics) single driver.
http://www.soundlab-speakers.com/ultimate-px.html

JohnR

« Reply #35 on: 2 Oct 2016, 12:02 pm »
You're not saying there's no crossover in those...? are you?

Bemopti123

« Reply #36 on: 2 Oct 2016, 12:20 pm »
One of the most dynamic tweeters I have ever heard are the Emit K tweeters in the Infinity Kappa 9s that are in service in my mom's Atlanta dig.  Asides from that, I felt that either well designed metal tweeters and silk dome tweeters are quite sweet. 

To compare the sonic impact of well designed tweeters, I remember listening to the Emit K tweeters of the Infinity Kappas at a saloon comparing them with the Energy Connoisseur 22 Reference mini towers in the same audio saloon back in 1988....in the shadows of the Twin Towers.  They both sounded more alike than different.  According to ads, Energy had spent $1 million dollars to produce that tweeter....but when I heard the Energy...I did not know that fact.  It mattered not, it sounded uncannily like the Infinities.   :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #37 on: 2 Oct 2016, 12:42 pm »
Not a fan of ribbon tweeters.  They are too much like a system with subwoofers that are too loud and shout:  Hey, listen to the bass.  They tend to just be too hot for my tastes. 

I'm a big fan of the dome tweeter in general, and the Dyna Esotar2 tweeter.  Sweet, extended, and natural presentation. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 2 Oct 2016, 12:52 pm »
You're not saying there's no crossover in those...? are you?
Seems they are crossoverless, but there is tone controls and a Bias circuit, too bad I cant listen this wonder panel.
What exactly is a DC Bias?
High frequency
Mid frequency
Bass level
D.C. Bias

Wind Chaser

« Reply #39 on: 2 Oct 2016, 03:37 pm »
Not a fan of ribbon tweeters.  They are too much like a system with subwoofers that are too loud and shout:  Hey, listen to the bass.  They tend to just be too hot for my tastes.

That has more to do with EQ and implementation.