Streaming DVD-Audio on Salkstream III/Roon?

Saturn94

Streaming DVD-Audio on Salkstream III/Roon?
« on: 9 Mar 2018, 02:08 am »
I just recently discovered I could rip multichannel DTS CDs to my Salkstream III and play them using Roon.  The Salkstream is connected via optical to my pre/pro (Anthem AVM 20) via which decides the DTS stream.

This got me wondering if I could do the same with my DVD-A discs.  I’d love to be able to add my DVD-A disc collection to my music files for easy access using Roon.  I found software that will rip DVD-A discs into FLAC.  I assume the resulting file woukd still be in DVD-A format, but in a FLAC container, and would have to be run through something that can play the DVD-A format?  Does this sound right?

Since my Anthem pre/pro can’t decode DVD-A, can I connect the Salkstream to my Oppo BDP 103 player to decode the DVD-A steam then send it to my pre/pro?  Can the Salkstream output to more than one component at a time?

Any advice/guidance is greatly appreciated. :)

jsalk

Re: Streaming DVD-Audio on Salkstream III/Roon?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2018, 03:21 pm »
The StreamPlayer can be configured to stream to multiple devices.  Once you enable the new device (the BD 105), when you play a track, you can specify which output device you want to use.  As to whether or not the BD 103 can deal with ripped DVD-A files, I can't say as I've never tried it. But you can certainly try and report back here how it all went.

- Jim

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2018, 03:41 pm »
Yes - the Oppo can handle streamed files.  I have two 103Ds.  One in the master bedroom (which feeds the outdoor speakers) and one in the main system (which I just use for video.  I read files (including ripped DVD-As and DSD) from my NAS and listen to either the outdoor speakers several times a year and in a spare system I have used the Oppo 203 a couple of times (I have a Windows 10 music server and a DAC in that system so I just tried it to makes sure it worked when I first got the 203 when it came out).

audio.bill

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2018, 04:24 pm »
DVD-A discs can be ripped with appropriate software (I use Trader's Little Helper) which allows you to extract the PCM data files for each track. However you choose to save them (i.e. as FLAC or WAV files) they contain PCM data which can be streamed on any suitable streamer.

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2018, 05:06 pm »
The StreamPlayer is agnostic about what it is streaming as long as the compression algorithm is supported (which flac is).  So that is not an issue.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2018, 11:51 pm »
Great responses! Thanks. :)

This sounds promising.  So I have some setup questions....

How would I connect the Salkstream III to my Oppo BDP 103?  It looks like the Salkstream III has connections for USB and HDMI.

Is there some kind of setup in the Salkstream III I need to do so it will output via both the optical output and whatever I’m using to the Oppo (USB or HDMI?) at the same time?

Once the Salkstream is connected to the Oppo, I assume the Oppo will then show up in Roon as an available zone?  Or is there some kind of setup I have to do in Roon to get it to see the Oppo as an available zone?

Thanks for the help. :)

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2018, 12:34 am »
Uh oh, I just saw this in the Salkstream III setup settings;

“S/PDIF Enable/Disable
Your StreamPlayer is equipped with S/PDIF output capability.

Would you like to use S/PDIF as your StreamPlayer output?
Note: You cannnot use USB and S/PIF at the same time. Choose one or the other.”

I didn’t see anything about HDMI.  Is it even an option to use?

I was really hoping to avoid having to change settings each time I wanted to play a multichannel FLAC file.  Most of the time I just play stereo files via the optical connection to my pre/pro and prefer to keep doing this so I don’t have to use the Oppo for everything.  If each time I want to play multichannel files I’m going to have to power up the Oppo and select the appropriate input, then change the output on the Salkstream to USB (or HDMI if possible), then change it back to optical when done, I night as well save all that hassle and just pop the DVD-A disc in the Oppo to play it.

Of course getting a modern pre/pro would likely solve these issues, I still love my Anthem AVM 20 and simply cannot afford to replace it in the foreseeable future.

So, am I back to square one, or is there an option I’m not seeing?

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2018, 02:40 pm »
Does your Oppo have a USB input?  If so, you should be able to use both optical and USB at the same time using Roon as a front end.  You can't do this with MPD as it requires you to identify an output device.  But Roon should be able to see any valid output device and you should be able to choose either in Roon.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2018, 02:34 am »
Does your Oppo have a USB input?  If so, you should be able to use both optical and USB at the same time using Roon as a front end.  You can't do this with MPD as it requires you to identify an output device.  But Roon should be able to see any valid output device and you should be able to choose either in Roon.

- Jim

Thanks Jim.

I think the Oppo 103 does have a USB input.  I’ll double check.

Is there anything I have to do in the Salkstream III settings to use USB and SPDIF/Optical without having to change settings each time I switch from one to another?

I take it HDMI is not available for use in the Salkstream III?

Edit:  I checked the Oppo manual and it does have two USB 2.0 inputs on the back.  This will work, yes?

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2018, 02:34 pm »
Thanks Jim.

I think the Oppo 103 does have a USB input.  I’ll double check.

Is there anything I have to do in the Salkstream III settings to use USB and SPDIF/Optical without having to change settings each time I switch from one to another?

I take it HDMI is not available for use in the Salkstream III?

Edit:  I checked the Oppo manual and it does have two USB 2.0 inputs on the back.  This will work, yes?

If you have S/PDIF enabled (which it sounds like you do), USB is enabled as well.  So you just have to enable both in Roon and you can then select either.

If the Oppo USB inputs are USB Audio 2.0 compliant, it should work.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2018, 04:27 pm »
If you have S/PDIF enabled (which it sounds like you do), USB is enabled as well.  So you just have to enable both in Roon and you can then select either.

If the Oppo USB inputs are USB Audio 2.0 compliant, it should work.

- Jim

Great!  :D

Now to find a USB A to USB A cable.  I can’t believe I don’t have one....I’ve got every other kind of cable in a big box!  :lol:

Going online (Monoprice and Amazon) I was surprised how much searching I had to do to find one.  What’s up with that?

I’ll let you know how it goes when I get a cable.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2018, 05:03 pm »
Now to find a USB A to USB A cable.  I can’t believe I don’t have one....I’ve got every other kind of cable in a big box!  :lol:

Going online (Monoprice and Amazon) I was surprised how much searching I had to do to find one.  What’s up with that?

USB A to A cables are rarely used or available because you wouldn't want to have the possibility of connecting two hosts together, both having a +5V power line which could produce damaging results.  There are USB A to A Data Transfer cables used to network two computers together via USB, but they also have electronic components inline with the cable.

USB A to B cables are generally used to connect a USB host (computer, streamer, etc.) to a USB peripheral (DAC, printer, etc.).

AFAIK, the Oppo 103 / 103D does not have a USB DAC input that can accept a digital audio stream from a computer or streamer.

A USB DAC input, such as on the Oppo 105 / 105D, uses a USB Type B connector.

The two rear panel USB Type A ports (USB1, USB2) on the Oppo 103 are host ports that can accept mass storage devices (thumb drives, hard drives, SSD drives, etc.) or USB adapters such as a WiFi network adapter.

Steve
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2018, 01:11 am by srb »

Saturn94

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2018, 06:32 pm »
Thanks for the great info.

Looking at the 103 manual again, I see it only mentions using a thumb drive or USB portable drive on it’s USB inputs.

Back to square one, I guess. :(

There is an HDMI input, but I’m guessing the HDMI output on the Salkstream III isn’t active?  Anyone know?

IndyLions

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2018, 06:48 pm »
DVD-A discs can be ripped with appropriate software (I use Trader's Little Helper) which allows you to extract the PCM data files for each track. However you choose to save them (i.e. as FLAC or WAV files) they contain PCM data which can be streamed on any suitable streamer.

This suggestion is what I’d suggest you follow.  Rip the DVD-As to an appropriate format (ie FLAC) and then play them like any FLAC file through the Salk Streamplayer.

IndyLions

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2018, 06:55 pm »
...and if you have any SACDs, RIP those as well.  When you are done the files will be Roon compatible.

Just google something like “SACD Rip Oppo 103 Sonore” and you should find what you need.

DVD-A & SACDs are expensive.  We should get as much benefit out of that investment as possible, in my opinion.  The ability to rip SACDs using an Oppo 103 is a recent development.  A clever programmer figured out how to do it.

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2018, 07:48 pm »
This suggestion is what I’d suggest you follow.  Rip the DVD-As to an appropriate format (ie FLAC) and then play them like any FLAC file through the Salk Streamplayer.

Agreed. :)  The issue is how to get the multichannel digital signal from the Salkstream to the Oppo (then Oppo will send multichannel analog to my older pre/pro).

It appears using USB won’t work with my Oppo 103.  There is an HDMI connection on the Salkstream , but I do t know if it’s used in the Salkstream III.

Saturn94

« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2018, 07:50 pm »
...and if you have any SACDs, RIP those as well.  When you are done the files will be Roon compatible.

Just google something like “SACD Rip Oppo 103 Sonore” and you should find what you need.

DVD-A & SACDs are expensive.  We should get as much benefit out of that investment as possible, in my opinion.  The ability to rip SACDs using an Oppo 103 is a recent development.  A clever programmer figured out how to do it.

I did some searching about ripping SACDs, but it looked intimidating (I’m not very computer savvy).

Saturn94

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2018, 10:58 pm »
Progress! :D

I had an extra HDMI cable so I gave it a try.  In Roon under Audio settings there were three HDMI devices listed; HDMI 0, HDMI 1, HDMI 2 (odd, there’s only one actual HDMI connection on the Salkstream III).  I tried each one and found HDMI 2 worked.

The only multichannel files I have on the Salkstream at the moment are a couple of DTS CDs.  When playing those I noticed the first second or so of each track is cut off.  I tried adjusting the Resync Delay in Roon’s audio setting for the HDMI device being used, but that didn’t seem to help.  Any suggestions to fix this?  Two channel files ripped from CDs seem fine.

BTW, playing DTS CD files via the optical output I’ve been using to my pre/pro don’t have this problem.

srb

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2018, 11:53 pm »
Roon software lists all HDMI ports which includes Display Ports (and maybe even DVI ports?) that are either available on the motherboard video chipset, or the processor chipset in the case of Intel processor integrated video, even if all ports aren't physically installed in the motherboard backplate, so this is somewhat common.

As far as the one second of audio being cutoff, HDMI requires a hardware handshake that the S/PDIF optical and coaxial connections don't, although in some cases they can also cutoff the beginning of an audio track while negotiating signal lock.

Do you get the same problem when the HDMI monitor connected to the Oppo player is on?

Steve

Saturn94

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2018, 11:59 pm »
I haven’t tried it with the TV on.  I’ll give that a try.

BTW, if I just play the entire DTS CD file/album all the way through without interruption, the first track is cut, but the remainder are fine.

Ripping my first DVD Audio disc now.  Crossing my fingers!

UPDATE:  First DVD-A rip went fine. Yay!  The DVD-A file plays fine without tracks being cut.  Files from CD rips also play without cuts.  It seems only the DTS CD file has cuts, whether the TV is on or off makes no difference.  Again, playing the DTS CD files via optical straight to my pre/pro there are no cuts.  I suspect it has something to do with the Oppo taking time to lock onto the DTS signal (apparently the pre/pro locks on faster).  Btw, I’ve noticed the same thing with movies on the Oppo.....often the initial intro gets cut briefly.  If it matters, the Oppo is connected to my pre/pro via multichannel analog (the pre/pro has no HDMI ports).

Thoughts?