Demo SoundScape 10's in burled walnut - SOLD

jsalk

Demo SoundScape 10's in burled walnut - SOLD
« on: 30 Jan 2014, 08:43 pm »
This is a special pair of SoundScape 10's we built and used for demo purposes at a couple of audio shows.

They were done in burled walnut and the sapwood in the veneer was used to create some interesting patterns.  Here are some pictures...

And a close-up...

New, including the premium for the veneer, these would cost about $12,800 to reproduce.

This pair is available for $9995 plus shipping.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2015, 11:13 pm by jsalk »

grantc79

Re: Demo SoundScape 10's in burled walnut
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2014, 08:31 pm »
In your opinion would these require a sub for HT?

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2014, 09:39 pm »

It all depends on how low you want your system to play.  These play down to about 22Hz.  Many (especially smaller) subs don't play that low.  (Their specs may indicate bass down to 20Hz, but an examination of the fine print reveals they are talking about an F10, not an F3.) And the woofers in this pair are actually subwoofer drivers with a cabinet sized to allow them to play as low as they can.  But some home theater sound tracks can easily play into the mid to high teens (which you probably can't hear, but can feel).  If you need to get down this low, you will need a (large) sub or two.

Personally, I don't care to reproduce realistic earthquakes.  So I could probably live without subs. 

- Jim

MichiganMike

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2014, 05:24 pm »

I own a pair of Salk SoundScape 10 speakers.  My experience is in line with Jim Salk's comments. 

The SoundScape 10 will reproduce sounds into the low 20 Hz range with authority, provided the amp you use is able to deliver the required power.  These speakers are relatively inefficient and the impedance curve is not a particularly easy load to drive.  I would recommend an amp capable of delivering at least 500 watts with high current capability into 4 ohms if you plan to use SoundScape 10s in a home theater application without a sub.

If you are determined to reproduce LFE at or below 20 Hz at high levels, these speakers are not a substitute for a high performance, dedicated subwoofer or two.   

coke

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2014, 06:16 pm »
Do you ever take trade ins?  I've been considering upgrading, and this set would allow me to keep my matching center channel.

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2014, 06:30 pm »
Do you ever take trade ins?  I've been considering upgrading, and this set would allow me to keep my matching center channel.

Sure.  Anything is possible.

- Jim

Austin08

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2014, 08:12 pm »

I have 3 SS8 and I feel the bass is adequate. No subs needed unless you want to shake your room. I also have dual Rythmik fv15, the dual subs do adding more weight to lower frequencies and shake the room better. Bottom line is the bass quality. energy and frequency extension of SS8 trio can outperform a lot of sub/s out there. I think the SS10 would perform at least in the same level if you give them enough power.

this_is_vv

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2014, 09:42 pm »
I Pmed some question...

coke

« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2014, 06:40 am »
Jim, please check your email. I'm very interested in these but an unexpected death in the family has complicated things.

Also, can you let me know your thoughts on my amp paired with these speakers?  It's an AVA Ultra Double 550

Thanks

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2014, 04:18 pm »
Wow, these are drop-dead gorgeous...

I know this is an older topic, but Coke: you asked about HT and subs. Were you considering a surround system or 2.1/2.0? Have you already gotten these beauties?

coke

« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2014, 06:45 pm »
I really want them, and could probably afford them, but I can't justify the cost right now.  My HT2-TLs are just too good  8)

I run somewhat of a hybrid system.

-For music, I use 2 channel only.  I use a music server or blu ray player to send a digital signal to my Eastern electric DAC, which goes to an input on my AVA preamp, and then on to my AVA amp. 

-For movies or gaming, I use a 3.1 system (would be 5.1 but I haven't had a chance to install the surrounds)  Digital signal from roku or blu ray to a Marantz receiver. Marantz center pre output to an AVA amp for my center channel.  Marantz receiver L & R pre output to a input on my AVA preamp, and then out from there to the AVA amp.  This works really well.  Just had to mark a spot for the volume on my preamp so my L&R speakers are level matched with the center channel.  I also have 2 Power Sound XV15 subs. 

I also have the option to do this when a 70" TV isn't quite enough lol

Frans

« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2014, 07:38 pm »
Awesome setup!

Do you have the Synergy 240/3 AVA amp with 3 channels to support L/R/C?

coke

« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2014, 07:50 pm »
I have an older 2 channel amp with the fuses pulled out of 1 channel that I use for my center.  I think it is an AVA Omegastar 260ex.  I bought it used from Frank at AVA.  For the L&R speakers, I use an AVA Ultra+ Double 550.  (260ex is to the left of the tv, and the 550 is under the tv in the pics above).

Sorry for taking this thread off topic. 

Frans

« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2014, 11:14 pm »
I can take it into PM. Back to the topic at hand - awesome speakers for sale!!!!

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2014, 02:39 pm »