Apple non-Mini system descriptions

Crimson

Apple non-Mini system descriptions
« on: 23 Mar 2008, 06:47 pm »
OK, so we've got a good list of how folks have their Minis set up. I thought it would be nice for non-Mini owners to share their setups, and low.pfile was gracious enough to let me copy and paste his original post. So, how is your Apple non-Mini (iMac, MacBook, MacPro etc) set up as a music server or part of a digital music system?  Let's see your configuration whether you have a straight forward Mac to integrated amp to bookshelfs, or you have the Mac connected to an external hard drive and connected into a distributed network to many systems. Please provide brands and models of the specific hardware, cabling, etc. used.

To fill out the form just click the "QUOTE" button (on the right) of the following post and delete these two lines:

[ q u o t e author=xxxx link=topic=51326.msg459813#msg459813 date=1203640641]
and
[/q u o t e]
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2008, 01:50 am by Crimson »

Crimson

Re: Apple non-Mini system descriptions
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2008, 06:51 pm »
My Mac Audio System Description:

Mac model and processor:
Operating system version:
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):
Internal memory installed:

Monitor/keyboard:
Wireless hardware:
Software music player(s):
Music file format:
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc):

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):
Pre amplifier:
External DAC:
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers:
Speakers in this system:
Interconnect types between Mac and X:
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):

Also provide comments on these:

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?
d. Other comments:
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2008, 07:04 pm by Crimson »

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2008, 07:03 pm »

Mac model and processor: 20" iMac Code Duo 2 GHz
Operating system version: 10.5.2
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): 3 TB external NAS
Internal memory installed: 2 GB

Monitor/keyboard: Wireless Apple KB and wireless MightyMouse
Wireless hardware: Time Capsule with an AEBS set up as a WDS, Airport Express, and Apple TV
Software music player(s): iTunes
Music file format: ALAC
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc): FrontRow and iTunes in full screen mode

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): ASL Hurricane DT/Bryston 7B-ST
Pre amplifier: AVA T-7 ECR
External DAC: Wavelength Audio Brick v2
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: Bryston 10B electronic crossover
Speakers in this system: Magnepan MG-3.6/R, Vandersteen 2Wq
Interconnect types between Mac and X: Cardas Neutral Reference
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Listening room

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system? An AppleScript to modify iTunes volume using the supplied Mac remote.
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range? Modify iTunes for above volume control.
c. The part of your Mac that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? Entire library at my fingertips/Random play
d. Other comments: This machine also streams to two other systems wirelessly via an Apple TV and an Airport Express.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2008, 10:43 pm by Crimson »

low.pfile

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2008, 09:36 pm »

Mac model and processor: Dual 2.3Ghz PowerPC G5
Operating system version: 10.4.11
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):  External >OWC 750GB Mercury Elite Firewire with duplicate for backup
Internal memory installed: 4.5 GB DDR

Monitor/keyboard: Apple KB /20" Cinema display
Wireless hardware: Airport Extreme (Base)/ multiple  Airport Expresses(1stGen)
Software music player(s): iTunes, also web browser streaming via Pandora/last.fm/XM Radio
Music file format: AIFF
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc):  Remote A: netTunes application on MacBook Pro to control G5 iTunes, and  Remote B: Alloysoft Signal application to use iTouch iPod as remote to G5 iTunes

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): SystemA) Amp = Denon AVR-4306 receiver  SystemB: Amp = built-in SS amp via powered speakers
Pre amplifier: none
External DAC:  System A: Monarchy NM24 Tube DAC / System B: Wavelength USB Brick
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: none
Speakers in this system: System A: Tetra 120U bookshelfs + ML Abyss sub / System B: Blue Sky Audio Media Desk 2.1 monitors/sub
Interconnect types between Mac and X: System A:  monoprice Toslink optical to DAC with Ven Haus Pulsar Silver RCA / System B: Kimber Kable USB to DAC with Audio Art IC-3 RCAs to amp
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):  G5 Mac Music Server and Hard Drives in home office.

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?  N/A
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?  I would be great if Apple HW and SW to allow at least 3 audio zones, i.e. send different music to different outputs/airtune locations. And of course, the HW should allow multiple ouptputs simultaneously
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? Having all my music available with a few clicks.
d. Other comments:  Just wanted to add that my music server is on computer that IS NOT a dedicated Music Server system. Though I almost never have any performance issues on either the audio side or the computer side (I run Illustrator and/or Photoshop and/or Browser along with iTunes.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2008, 05:34 pm by low.pfile »

Double Ugly

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2008, 10:51 pm »

Mac model and processor:  Mac Pro, 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors, NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 video card
Operating system version:  10.5.2 (Leopard)
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):  1 TB internal (2 x 500 GB HDDs); 1 TB external back-up (Time Capsule)
Internal memory installed:  4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Monitor/keyboard:  23" LCD Apple Cinema HD Display (1920 x 1200), Logitech Wave keyboard, Logitech MX Revolution cordless mouse
Wireless hardware:  Mouse listed above, Time Capsule (AEBS) router, Slim Devices Transporter (modified by ModWright) and Squeezebox 2
Software music player(s):  iTunes, VLC, Cog, SqueezeCenter for distribution
Music file format:  FLAC
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc):  Slim Devices Transporter & Squeezebox Remotes

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):  Spectron Musician III Signature Edition
Pre amplifier:  N/A
External DAC:  N/A
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers:  Slim Devices Transporter & Squeezebox 2, both fed via a Time Capsule
Speakers in this system:  SP Technology Timepiece 3.0s
Interconnect types between Mac and X:  CAT 5 to router, (1) Stealth Audio Cables Indra between Transporter and Timepiece 3.0s, (2) generic ICs between Squeezebox 2 and Timepiece 2.0s
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):  Other room

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?  I guess the keyboard and mouse since they aren't Apple/Mac products.  The speakers (Logitech 5.1 THX computer speakers) were added, too, but were purchased from Apple.
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?  Don't know yet.  :scratch:
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?  Though not Mac specific, being able to access all my music so quickly, and to have that music delivered so cleanly and accurately are what I enjoy most.
d. Other comments:  VERY much looking forward to the day I can stream HD content (Blu-ray) from my computer to the plasma I'm expecting in June/July (Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD)

Updated 5/18/08 to reflect addition of Time Capsule (replaced Belkin Pre-N router) and updated SP Technology speakers (upgraded from Timepiece 2.1 to 3.0)
« Last Edit: 18 May 2008, 05:46 pm by Double Ugly »

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2008, 11:07 pm »
Dude! Again, I'd die for a Mac setup like that!

Curious, though. Isn't it time you upgraded your OS?   aa

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2008, 12:23 am »
Crim, he has Leopard, is there a different OS for Apple?

Double Ugly

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2008, 12:35 am »
Dude! Again, I'd die for a Mac setup like that!

What good would it do you when you're dead?  :wink:

Thanks, though.  If I can figure out how to keep it from freezing up, I'll be a very happy camper... again.

Curious, though. Isn't it time you upgraded your OS?   aa

Thanks for the catch.  I guess 1.5.2 was getting a little long in the tooth.  :lol:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2008, 05:09 pm »

Mac mini processor model: Book G4 800
    Operating system version: 10.4.11
    Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): 60 (network access to a dual 867 G4 tower with lots of disk)
    Internal memory installed: 640 MB

Monitor/keyboard: built-in
    Wireless hardware: Airport Extreme
    Software music player(s): Tunes

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): diy RH84 SEP mono bloks, gain clones, SS transconductance amp (prototype), more
    Pre amplifier: Aurex, NAD 1020, diy valve LS (or for critical listening none)
    External DAC: Edirol UX25
    Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers: none
    Speakers in this system: varies bit most often Fonkens
    Interconnect types between mac and X: 25 ft USB, O'Netics interconnect
    Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):
    living room/listening room (or anywhere i want to take it)

dave

krbmmk

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2008, 05:40 am »

Mac model and processor: MacPro1,1 Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2Ghz
Operating system version: 10.5.2
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):2TB Internal 2TB External
Internal memory installed: 14 GB DDR2 FB-DIMM 667 Mhz

Monitor/keyboard: Samsung 245BW/ Apple Pro
Wireless hardware:
Software music player(s): Itunes, Bias Peak Pro
Music file format: AIF
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc): Remote Buddy using Nintendo Wii remote

Pre amplifier: Musical Fidelity A3.2 Solid State Integrated
External DAC: Motu Ultralite
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: Benchmark DAC1.
Speakers in this system:Athena F2, AKG 701 using Hagerman Castenet Tube Headphone AMP
Interconnect types between Mac and X: Cardas
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Listening Area

b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? What I really like is the reliability of the MAC OS.
d. Other comments:

Double Ugly

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2008, 12:41 pm »

Nice system, krb, but Jeez Louise... paranoid about RAM bottlenecks, are we?  :o

Crimson

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2008, 02:25 pm »

Nice system, krb, but Jeez Louise... paranoid about RAM bottlenecks, are we?  :o

I saw that, too. Maybe there's an extraneous '1' before the '4' (similar to OS 1.5.2)?  :D

Or, maybe not.

Double Ugly

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2008, 02:39 pm »
Maybe there's an extraneous '1' before the '4' (similar to OS 1.5.2)?  :D

C'mon, Crimson... what's a zero amongst friends.  :wink:

BTW, I'll be setting up the TC this weekend, hopefully today.  I'll post an update in the big thread after the switch is complete.

krbmmk

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2008, 03:56 pm »

I saw that, too. Maybe there's an extraneous '1' before the '4' (similar to OS 1.5.2)?  :D

Or, maybe not.

Yeah, I sort of went overboard on the RAM. Every time I saw the DRAM prices drop last year Id' say to myself, well I still have an open memory slot that needs to be filled. I've never come close too needing it all however.
Take Care
Krb

Panelman

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2008, 06:32 pm »

Mac model and processor: iMAC and MacBook Pro standard memory on both
Operating system version: 10.5.2 on both
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): External Hard Drives 1 320gig  LaCie and 1 500 gig LaCie on iMac.
Internal memory installed:2 gig on MacBook Pro, 1 gig on iMac

Monitor/keyboard: Standard with iMac and MacBook Pro
Wireless hardware: NetGear RangeMax    Started with  Windows systems and haven't needed to update to Apple wireless yet
Software music player(s): Slim Center linked to iTunes
Music file format: Apple lossless
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc): None

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Rotel RB991  Solid State  300 watts into 4 ohm
Pre amplifier: Benchmark Dac1 Pre
External DAC: Benchmark Dac1 Pre
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: Squeezebox 3
Speakers in this system: Magnepan 1.6QR, Audio Concepts Force Sub
Interconnect types between Mac and X: Wireless and MIT AVT1 interconnects, 75 ohm digital video cable from Squeeze box to Dac1 Pre
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): iMac is in upstairs bedroom, Macbook Pro on my lap in the living room

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system? nothing
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)? Nothing.
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? Operating system ease of use, no Windows headaches
d. Other comments:
[/quote]

navi

« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2008, 01:39 pm »

Mac model and processor:MACbook  2.16GHz intel duo core with Eizo Monitor
Operating system version:10.4
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):80gb internal (Firewire: 320gb for work files and 1TB for backing up)
Internal memory installed: 4gb

Monitor/keyboard: biggest wacom tablet + old keyboard
Wireless hardware:none
Software music player(s):iTunes for music, Divx, VLC and DVD player for movies and TV shows
Music file format: AIFF + MP3
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc):

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):none
Pre amplifier: none
External DAC: none
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: Audio Philosophy  CD1 player
Speakers in this system: AVI ADM9
Interconnect types between Mac and X: USB
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): In my office

b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)? I dunno.... maybe increase internal HD
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?
being able to watch movies when I work and listen to music really load whenever I get bored at work
d. Other comments:the AVI monitors take away the hassle of all the crap in the audio chain that was clogging up my office and power board.

Ivan

melomaniac

« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2008, 04:46 pm »

Mac model and processor:  G5, Dual 1.8Ghz
Operating system version:  10.4.11
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):  2 x 500 GB, + 2 x 250GB on a Sonnet Jive internal mount
Internal memory installed:  2 GB DIMM

Monitor/keyboard:  23" LCD Apple Cinema HD Display (1920 x 1200), standard USB keyboard, standard mouse
Wireless hardware:  2 x Slim Devices Squeezebox 3
Software music player(s):  iTunes, VLC, Cog, SqueezeCenter for distribution
Music file format:  AIFF/WAV
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc):  Squeezebox Remotes, one black one white

Amplifier, and type:  Bel Canto s300iu, Outlaw RR2150 (both ss amps with gobs of power, needed for Maggies
Pre amplifier:  N/A
External DAC:  Channel Islands Audio VDA.2
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers:  2 x Squeezebox 3, one with Bolder Elpac
Speakers in this system:  a) Magnepan 2.5R true-ribbon planars, b) Magnepan MMG planars
Interconnect types:  Paul Speltz anticables throughout; Blue Jeans coax from SB3 to CIA VDA2
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):  other room

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?  additional internal disk mounting system
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?  processor upgrade.
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?  Synchronizing the Squeezeboxes for whole-house sound (parties).
d. Other comments: Also have powered monitors at the G5 for local audio; and both amps have built-in USB which allows connecting any computer into either stereo.

blakezie

« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2008, 02:38 pm »

Mac model and processor:  Mac Pro Dual Core 3.0 GHz
Operating system version:  10.5.2
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):  4 x 500 GB, Internal, + 1 Gig Time Capsule, External
Internal memory installed:  8 GB DIMM

Monitor/keyboard:  30" LCD Apple Cinema HD Display (1920 x 1200), Wireless Bluetooth keyboard, Microsoft mouse
Wireless hardware:  1 GB Apple Time Capsule / Airport Extreme
Software music player(s):  iTunes, VLC, Play (S Booth)
Music file format:  Apple Lossless
Other method of control iPhone with Remote Buddy / MacBook Air Screen Capture Mode

Amplifier, and type:  Odyssey Stratos Extreme Mono Amps driving Maggies
Pre amplifier:  Parasound JC2
External DAC:  PS Audio (Customized by Cullen Circuits)
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: Just the PS Audio DAC
Speakers in this system:  Magnepan 3.6QR true-ribbon planars
Interconnect types:  Paul Speltz Anticables / TOSLink Optical
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):  Listening Area

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?  DAC is custom from Cullen Circuits
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?  Nothing
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?  The music.
d. Other comments: A secondary bookshelf system is being added to my office desk (at the location of the Mac Pro) This will be Epos speakers (already delivered) and NuForce Icon Amplifier (backordered).

Crimson

« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2008, 04:10 pm »

Mac model and processor:  Mac Pro Dual Core 3.0 GHz
Operating system version:  10.5.2
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):  4 x 500 GB, Internal, + 1 Gig Time Capsule, External
Internal memory installed:  8 GB DIMM

Monitor/keyboard:  30" LCD Apple Cinema HD Display (1920 x 1200), Wireless Bluetooth keyboard, Microsoft mouse
Wireless hardware:  1 GB Apple Time Capsule / Airport Extreme
Software music player(s):  iTunes, VLC, Play (S Booth)
Music file format:  Apple Lossless
Other method of control iPhone with Remote Buddy / MacBook Air Screen Capture Mode

Amplifier, and type:  Odyssey Stratos Extreme Mono Amps driving Maggies
Pre amplifier:  Parasound JC2
External DAC:  PS Audio (Customized by Cullen Circuits)
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers: Just the PS Audio DAC
Speakers in this system:  Magnepan 3.6QR true-ribbon planars
Interconnect types:  Paul Speltz Anticables / TOSLink Optical
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):  Listening Area

a. If applicable, what is custom in this Mac system?  DAC is custom from Cullen Circuits
b. What feature or function would you add to the Mac if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range)?  Nothing
c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?  The music.
d. Other comments: A secondary bookshelf system is being added to my office desk (at the location of the Mac Pro) This will be Epos speakers (already delivered) and NuForce Icon Amplifier (backordered).

Welcome!

Great setup, especially the speakers.  :thumb:

B.A.S.S

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jun 2008, 01:43 am »
My Mac Audio System Description:24in i mac 7.1(newest one) behringer uca202 insignia book shelfs(about to be GR modded) harmon/kardon hk 3385 2.1 reciver(matches the mac perfectly)

Mac model and processor: 24in i mac 7.1 w/ 2.4ghz intel duo
Operating system version: leporad os x 10.5.2
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): 350gb internal and 500gb external
Internal memory installed: 1gb going to add a 2gb stick soon 

Monitor/keyboard: 24in imac w/ wired mac key board
Wireless hardware: microsoft lazer mouse 5000
Software music player(s): i tunes
Music file format: lossless
Other method of control (VNC, custom remotes, etc): apple remote

Pre amplifier:
External DAC: behringer uca202 usb audio interface
Other component(s) in chain between Mac and speakers:
Speakers in this system: insignia bookshelfs(soon to be GR modded)
Interconnect types between Mac and X: monster thx rca's stinger pro speaker wire
Location of the Mac (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): bed room

c. The part of your Mac system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? the stabilty only froze up twice once durring the first boot up and again when i was running max programs w 1gb of ram while other window comps. froze often and would be boged down after a month
d. Other comments: putin a mac mini in my next car and replacing the i mac w/ a pro when i have the funds
[/quote]