3A sigs

blueflog

3A sigs
« on: 23 Dec 2017, 04:35 pm »
New  to this thread...I'm thinking about buying a pair 8 year old 3A sigs. Any reason to stay away from 8 year old speakers? Have there been any significant upgrades/redesigns that would be missing?
Thanks,
Andy

Carl V

Re: 3A sigs
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2017, 05:28 pm »
Congratulations.
No & Yes.

Great speaker in it's day....still a good choice.
So, no reason to stay away.
Yes, there has been advances in the Vandersteen line.
all with a much higher price tag.

dminches

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2017, 05:36 pm »
Congratulations.
No & Yes.

Great speaker in it's day....still a good choice.
So, no reason to stay away.
Yes, there has been advances in the Vandersteen line.
all with a much higher price tag.

The price tag on the 3A Signatures hasn't increased significantly.  They were $3500 in 1999.  They are now $5000.  Inflation makes up for that and then some.

I would think that new 3A Sigs would sound nicer than those built 8 years ago but I agree I wouldn't stay away from them for that reason.

tvyankee

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2017, 06:21 pm »
I have a pair 15 years old and they sound great. They sound even better when u biamp.  If u get them biamp u won't be let down.  Good luck

ctsooner

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2017, 03:33 pm »
IT's all been said about older speakers adn newer ones.  Even a new pair of the 2's is incredible.  The trickle down from the 7's is in them adn personally, I'd probably get those over the used 3's.  That's just me.  I also feel that you don't need to spend much money to get a great pair of Audioquest speaker cable from the dealer you would get the 2's from and save money. 

Just another way to look at things.