You Bryston cultists

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
You Bryston cultists
« on: 27 Oct 2017, 08:24 am »
I have no doubt that Bryston makes fine amplifiers. But Manic Moose is far from cutting edge. The video of Chris (if that is his real name) explaining the new Manic Moose release is positively amateurish, long pauses and whatever.  And just look at all the complaints and questions about Bryston digital (except a CD player).

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: You Bryston cultists
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2017, 11:14 am »
I have no doubt that Bryston makes fine amplifiers. But Manic Moose is far from cutting edge. The video of Chris (if that is his real name) explaining the new Manic Moose release is positively amateurish, long pauses and whatever.  And just look at all the complaints and questions about Bryston digital (except a CD player).

If the end-point is the SQ of the music files, you can't fault Bryston. BDP's just sound right when paired with a good DAC.  :thumb:

As for the software, I think that if Chris were to trim off all the "extras" like cover art display, etc., Moose would be a smoother-operating software than now. Murphy's Law. Not an easy task, writing in-house software. Not sure if there's any other amp mfr who does this for their own players.

cheers

RandyH

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2017, 12:51 pm »
I own a Bryston amp and the BCD-3 CD player.  Good sound from these components.  Very solid performers that I hope to have in my system for some time to come.  But, I have to agree with the OP on this one.  A huge part of the digital listening experience is the user interface.  As digital playback has improved, the differences in sound quality between brands have been reduced significantly.  As good as the Bryston digital playback components are, there are many competing brands with equal sound quality but with better user interface.  Future buyers of streaming devices will be basing their purchasing decisions as much on what they see as what they hear.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2017, 12:54 pm »
clip
 Future buyers of streaming devices will be basing their purchasing decisions as much on what they see as what they hear.

I think that's a mistake, but also admittedly it's a personal preference. Spending $3K+ on a player/interface should be for the music SQ, not for visuals. The latter isn't a deal-breaker for me. imho.

cheers

RandyH

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2017, 01:05 pm »
It's not a deal breaker for me either...unless I can find another brand in the same price range that sounds as good or better AND has a great user interface.  Those products are out there. 

Grant Hill

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2017, 01:52 pm »
Hi Randy,

any example of those? I can think about Aurender, Lumin, Melco.... not that many...

gbaby

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2017, 02:06 pm »

Manic Moose is fine. The only problem I have with it is displaying aiff cover art, but this is never a problem with downloads like HD Tracks. Aiff is an apple/iTunes files and I understand they handle their cover arts with a hidden file. Regardless, when I play my BDP-2, I am uninterested in the cover art, but rather the sound which the unit delivers in spades.  :roll: :nono:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2017, 02:19 pm »
When I want cover art... I play records.. those big black round things...
LPs have the original form of cover art. "Full size" cover art.  :lol:

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2017, 02:45 pm »

Elizabeth,  You rock.  :thumb:

RandyH

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2017, 05:09 pm »
Hi Randy,

any example of those? I can think about Aurender, Lumin, Melco.... not that many...

I think Melco has it's own interface issues but yes, products from Aurender and Lumin are the first to come to mind.  Others include Bluesound/NAD, Simaudio, Linn, Auralic...  My point is that potential customers outside the Bryston bubble may have different priorities.  One can make the argument that companies like Bryston put their money into the sound quality of their products and eschew such frivolities as user interface...or MQA.  This point of view may resonate with the Bryston brand loyalists but I doubt that it translates to a broader customer base who are more inclined to look beyond the Bryston products when shopping for digital streaming/DAC products.

zoom25

« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2017, 06:07 pm »
Manic Moose or any of the MPad/MPod and Soundirok I've tried with BDP-1 are several steps below what Roon offers. I don't think any of the streamers from other brands offers software that is near Roon either. I used to hear in the past that Sonos was the king, but now with Roon and Roon Ready endpoints, pick the one with the features you like and the best sound quality. SQ is what ultimately I think most of us here is after. Otherwise, we'd all be just using our PCs.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 27 Oct 2017, 06:44 pm »

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #12 on: 27 Oct 2017, 06:55 pm »
Elizabeth,  You rock.  :thumb:

+1  :thumb:

Be well...

Mag

« Reply #13 on: 28 Oct 2017, 01:11 am »
The Bryston Creed

I believe in Bryston, the only source, pre-amp, amplifiers, speakers, I will ever own.
I believe in the pursuit of the highest sound quality that can be obtained from an audio recording.
I believe that Bryston will do their technological best to deliver State of the Art audio products, at prices that are obtainable by the average hard working Joe with steady income.
I believe and support Brick & Mortar sales outlets that distribute Bryston products.
I believe that Bryston will continue with great customer service, honour their warranties above and beyond that experienced by any other business, audio or otherwise.
I want to be wrapped in Bryston burial cloth when I depart this world.

Amen

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 28 Oct 2017, 01:23 am »
Some years ago I bought a Zeit vinyl box set just for the art size, I like so much this box I yet dont have open it.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #15 on: 28 Oct 2017, 07:01 am »
The Bryston Creed

I believe in Bryston, the only source, pre-amp, amplifiers, speakers, I will ever own.
I believe in the pursuit of the highest sound quality that can be obtained from an audio recording.
I believe that Bryston will do their technological best to deliver State of the Art audio products, at prices that are obtainable by the average hard working Joe with steady income.
I believe and support Brick & Mortar sales outlets that distribute Bryston products.
I believe that Bryston will continue with great customer service, honour their warranties above and beyond that experienced by any other business, audio or otherwise.
I want to be wrapped in Bryston burial cloth when I depart this world.

Amen

Wm S Burroughs ... a little eclectic taste in literature is required, but your post reminds me of a Burroughs passage.
Writing about patients in a ward who are grovelling to the Doctor in order to get "better" meds:

"When I die, [Doctor] I want to be buried in the same grave as you."

Grant Hill

« Reply #16 on: 28 Oct 2017, 11:28 am »
I think Melco has it's own interface issues but yes, products from Aurender and Lumin are the first to come to mind.  Others include Bluesound/NAD, Simaudio, Linn, Auralic...  My point is that potential customers outside the Bryston bubble may have different priorities.  One can make the argument that companies like Bryston put their money into the sound quality of their products and eschew such frivolities as user interface...or MQA.  This point of view may resonate with the Bryston brand loyalists but I doubt that it translates to a broader customer base who are more inclined to look beyond the Bryston products when shopping for digital streaming/DAC products.

yes - the digital player without dac are few. I know that apps for Lumin and Aurender are good, Naim and Linn's ones too but they're designed for closed systems (also no DSD and quite expensive). I don't know about sound quality of Melco, Simaudio and Auralic...

Rupret

« Reply #17 on: 28 Oct 2017, 10:50 pm »
I had the BDP1 BDA1 combo and it sounded ok but just wasn’t user friendly.  I switched to the LUMIN S1 because I just wanted to come home, flip the switch, and listen to music without having to work on a science project.  The LUMIN sounds great, works every time, and has a simple app that runs on my iPad.  If the BDP was functionally close I may have stayed.

Analog I’m Bryston for sure.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #18 on: 29 Oct 2017, 03:27 am »
I cannot say I am a Bryston cultist.
I have regretted buying the BP-26..
(I wanted a used ARC REF 5 preamp)
I also thought about buying Parasound John Curl designed amps.
But they were almost twice the price AND made in China.
(Made in China is a no go for me)

But over time my Bryston amp and preamp have never shown themselves to be a 'limiting factor',
As I upgrade other things.
The Bryston components show they can and do have the resolution and superior sound I need.
So call me a Happy Bryston Owner.

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 29 Oct 2017, 04:01 am »
I am impressed that no one attacked me...that was a somewhat angry and provactive post of mine. The Bryston DACs have garnered outstanding reviews, but i am quite disappointed in my Pi (which is not a DAC, obviously). It failed after 4 months due to a bad SD card. Bryston sent me a new SD card which was DOA. I was also sent a wrong size tool to unscrew the case, which slightly marred the screws, and I had to purchase a size 8 Torx screwdriver on my own. (Apparently I have an early production model, currently the Pi uses a larger, size 10 screw). A trip back to Bryston has fixed things, but they did not replace the screws, which will be an issue if I sell it (a marred screw could indicate that that the owner was monkeying around inside). But mostly I remain terribly disappointed with the Manic Moose software and Tidal application, considering the $1,250 price.