X-static vs some other similar kits

dlynch34

Re: X-static vs some other similar kits
« Reply #60 on: 23 Nov 2017, 02:25 pm »
thanks for all the help... these things sounds incredible!!  I just sold my Magnepan 3.7i due to moving into a smaller place and I am more than happy with these replacing them!!

dlynch34

« Reply #61 on: 26 Nov 2017, 03:29 pm »
how much toe-in do you all do with your set up?

Danny Richie

« Reply #62 on: 28 Nov 2017, 09:16 pm »
how much toe-in do you all do with your set up?

That depends on the room and seating position. Move them around and hear what works best for you.

dlynch34

« Reply #63 on: 30 Nov 2017, 01:58 am »
thanks been doing that think I have them dialed in.  I was wondering if anyone has compared the x-statik to the ob-5 and ob-7?

DeruDog

« Reply #64 on: 2 May 2020, 03:57 pm »
I have a few customers that went from their Statements models to X-Statik's. Maybe they'll chime it.

The design philosophies couldn't be more different actually. They go in directions that I avoid like the plague.

I don't care for the metal cone drivers and especially the Dayton reference line. They sound very veiled and muddy to me, and they have sever ringing in the upper ranges. They could be used for low bass only, buy in their designs the high crossover points allow them well into the mid-range.

They also use very high crossover points. This doesn't allow the drivers to blend very well and causes out of phase cancellation effects in the vertical off axis that cause un-even room responses. It also diminishes the cohesiveness of the speaker and allows one to easily pin point locations of the tweeter, mids, and woofers. I tend to focus on transparency, sound stage layering, imaging, and presentation. Their design goes against those things by design.

And while the ribbon that they use is very nice, crossing it to the mid at 3.5kHz means it isn't even handling the delicate upper fundamentals. It is limited to only upper level harmonics. The mid is having to handle all the fundamentals. The tweeter in the X-Statik crosses in the 1.8kHz range. So the much more delicate details are handled by a much faster and more capable driver than a mid-range driver.

The low crossover point of the X-Statik also produces a much more accurate vertical off axis response.

And the vocal region of the open baffle X-Statik is on another level all together. You just can't get there in a boxed speaker even using the same high quality drivers let alone the drivers used in those designs.

I also tend to focus more on parts quality, wire, connectors, and everything that effects the signal transfer.

DO you think the same would apply for BMR Philharmonitors?  I know they have different drivers altogether, so I wonder what your thoughts are on those.  I am intrigued by the OB X-Statik, though I have been leaning toward the Philharmonitors for quite some time due to the stellar reviews.  Also, changing from box to OB in my 14x20x10 room is concerning.  Some people imply that an OB system would need more breathing room, while others think it works fine.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #65 on: 2 May 2020, 04:10 pm »
Some people imply that an OB system would need more breathing room, while others think it works fine.

Danny designed them and recommends the baffle be a minimum 3’ from The front wall.  More will likely be better.  It has to do with the timing of the rear wave reflecting off the front wall.  If it’s too close it will smear the sound.

Danny Richie

« Reply #66 on: 2 May 2020, 04:54 pm »
DO you think the same would apply for BMR Philharmonitors?  I know they have different drivers altogether, so I wonder what your thoughts are on those.  I am intrigued by the OB X-Statik, though I have been leaning toward the Philharmonitors for quite some time due to the stellar reviews.  Also, changing from box to OB in my 14x20x10 room is concerning.  Some people imply that an OB system would need more breathing room, while others think it works fine.

That's a comparison I would certainly welcome.

Regarding that speaker that you mentioned. It would be interesting if they showed the vertical off axis response and vertical off axis cancellation patterns from the out of phase areas in the response. For some reason they tend to not want to share that information. I wonder why?

The X-Statik will take transparency, imaging, and layering of the sound stage to another level. The whole vocal region will be another level.

And with the money you save building an X-Statik kit you'll have enough money left over to add a servo sub to each side and be completely full range.

Captainhemo

« Reply #67 on: 3 May 2020, 04:18 am »
and,  as long as you can  keep them   a minimum of 3' off the  front wall,   you will  have no issues in  that sized room,  they'll  work great
jay

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #68 on: 30 Jan 2021, 08:19 pm »
I also make sure that the impedance loads...

Danny,

Do you have a measured impedance curve for the X-Static handy?

I have a question on another forum where it will impact his choice of amplifier.

dave