Subwoofer speaker outputs

rfprice

Subwoofer speaker outputs
« on: 16 Jul 2017, 12:17 am »
I own a low-power SET integrated. My speakers are rated 87db. The amp doesn't have enough juice to power the speakers well, but I hate to give them up. I'm trying to think of how I can get more efficiency out of them.

I've been thinking about buying the Omega subwoofer and connecting it via the speaker inputs. Then run the main speakers from the sub's speaker outputs.

But I'm not sure that this is a good idea. It seems like this would degrade the sound quality of the main speakers, as much as it would help them to play stronger.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Is anyone else running their speakers in this way? Also, would it be necessary to use the same type of speaker cable between the amp and sub as the sub and speakers? I've read that cable quality is not a big concern to a sub. But if the signal is then getting passed on to the mains, then it seems like it would be pretty important.

RDavidson

Re: Subwoofer speaker outputs
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2017, 12:25 am »
Hard to say without knowing what your speakers and amp are. Can you give us this info?

rfprice

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2017, 01:15 am »
The amp is a Cary 300b integrated, the 300SEI. it's about 15w/channel. Speakers are Opera monitors.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2017, 01:35 am »
Best thing to do is high pass your monitors. If you're worried about quality loss going thru a subwoofer's crossover, your best bet is to get a really nice active crossover. Marchand, Bryston, Pass Labs, and JL Audio come to mind.

Generally speaking, you're not going to get the best performance from a lowish powered SET with normal multi-way speakers. It isn't just a matter of speaker sensitivity, though that's a large piece of the puzzle. Personally, I would reprioritize gear selection (based on listening habits and preferences) before getting into active crossovers and other complications.