The LIO DAC 2.0 information and discussion thread

Mitch751

Re: The LIO DAC 2.0 information and discussion thread
« Reply #100 on: 4 Dec 2017, 01:51 am »
Please allow me to ask a question, which has been confusing me for quite some time.

I have been told by adding Mutec MC3 USB+, there will be a signifcant improvement on every DAC (not matter how good it is, included LIO USB2). I understand this Mutec is just a reclocker, which LIO USB 2 has already Built in, in this case, why should I need it ?

People keep on telling me how important is the master clock, if this is the case, why many good grade DAC including LIO do not have an wclock in / out for external master clock?

If reclocker has already done the job, why should an extra Master clock need to add on ?

ebag4

« Reply #101 on: 17 Mar 2018, 12:19 am »
Just installed my DAC 2.0 an hour ago, so likely some break in still to occur.  I didn’t have to wait for the break in to hear the improvement compared to the DAC 1.0.  I can hear deeper into the music, the clarity is incredible.  More as it breaks in, but I don’t need any more time to know that it’s a keeper.  I’ll be shipping my DAC 1.0 back Monday!  Great job Vinnie, very impressive.

Best,
Ed

Vinnie R.

« Reply #102 on: 20 Mar 2018, 03:18 pm »
Just installed my DAC 2.0 an hour ago, so likely some break in still to occur.  I didn’t have to wait for the break in to hear the improvement compared to the DAC 1.0.  I can hear deeper into the music, the clarity is incredible.  More as it breaks in, but I don’t need any more time to know that it’s a keeper.  I’ll be shipping my DAC 1.0 back Monday!  Great job Vinnie, very impressive.

Best,
Ed

Hi Ed,

Nice - glad you are enjoying your LIO DAC 2.0 right out of the box!  It gets even better  8)

Thanks for your post and keeping us posted!

Vinnie

ebag4

« Reply #103 on: 15 May 2018, 11:24 pm »
I wanted to throw out a very brief update on my DAC 2.0, it is possibly the best money I have spent on audio.

Best,
Ed

mirekti

« Reply #104 on: 2 Jun 2018, 03:28 pm »
Now when I read there would be a LIO trade in program I think I might be in trouble.
Is the price list for preamp, its modules and monos set?
I assume one could order a preamp with the DAC only, and add phono sometime later, correct?

...wrong thread :(
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2018, 06:27 pm by mirekti »

Vinnie R.

« Reply #105 on: 4 Jun 2018, 03:12 pm »
I wanted to throw out a very brief update on my DAC 2.0, it is possibly the best money I have spent on audio.
Best,
Ed

Hi Ed,

I'm very pleased to hear that you and all my DAC 2.0 customers are thoroughly enjoying it!  :beer:

---

All,

I sent a LIO DAC 2.0 to DARKO AUDIO last March, and John Darko just posted his review:

https://darko.audio/2018/06/giant-steps-from-the-vinnie-rossi-dac-2-0/

As you will see, besides the excellent review it includes a couple of videos (one about LIO in general, and one about installing the DAC 2.0
and LIO XLR OUTPUTS module).  What a great start to the week!  8)

Quote from: John Darko / DARKO AUDIO
...the DAC 2.0 LIO affords music greater conviction. It’s firmer of foot-(stomp), more overt in its expression of a song’s scale and drama.

...After a week with the triple-decked DAC 2.0, I re-installed the double-stacked original [DAC 1.0] to find its overall gestalt pinched in the middle, greying on top and a little short of breath. One word: lacklustre. The new version outclasses it in every way: better clarity, better dynamics, better detail retrieval, greater avidity.

...And yet I knew this from the get-go. A first listen to the DAC 2.0 had me, quite literally laugh out loud at my hifi system, so pronounced was the upgrade’s magnitude.

...The LIO DAC 2.0, playing into the Genelecs via auto-former pre-amplifier module, delivers a musical intensity that we just don’t quite get from the PS Audio DirectStream going DAC direct into the same loudspeakers.

Many thanks to John for taking the time to review DAC 2.0 (he has had his LIO with DAC 1.0 since 2015, so he knows how it sounds in comparison!) and for his additional effort in taking the videos / pics that give the reader a better idea on how LIO's modular approach allows for easy upgrading by our customers.

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #106 on: 8 Jun 2018, 04:17 am »
I read John's article with obvious enthusiasm, since I've been enjoying the DAC 2.0 for a few months. 

It's hard to compare to another statement-level DAC on the market both in terms of pricing, value, and sound.  All I can say is that it's the most natural sounding DAC I've ever had and that I'm happy that Vinnie has developed this business model of reduction of obsolescence.

Thanks again for your innovation!  Today's sonic forays were Roon/Tidal MQA files like some o the newer Avett Brothers albums, since they're playing in KW in late November.

Thanks again!

Edit:  Price not withstanding, to what do you think the mainstream audiophile journalists would compare the LIO DAC 2.0? I know it's apples to oranges in terms of case and trade-in, but if you restricted the parameters to the technical specs alone, what's it's competition? (News flash; I'm not looking to trade it in, more interested in bragging rights to those who spent big bucks on DACS only to look down their noses. :)
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2018, 04:56 pm by matthewpartrick »

Vinnie R.

« Reply #107 on: 8 Jun 2018, 06:49 pm »

All I can say is that it's the most natural sounding DAC I've ever had and that I'm happy that Vinnie has developed this business model of reduction of obsolescence.

Thanks again for your innovation!

Thank you, Matthew!  I'm glad to hear about how you and so many more of my customers are enjoying the flexibility of LIO, the relative ease of upgrading and 100% trade-in policy for upgraded modules.  That was my vision with LIO from the very beginning, and I appreciate learning how well it has been working out for you all!  :notworthy:

Price not withstanding, to what do you think the mainstream audiophile journalists would compare the LIO DAC 2.0? I know it's apples to oranges in terms of case and trade-in, but if you restricted the parameters to the technical specs alone, what's it's competition? (News flash; I'm not looking to trade it in, more interested in bragging rights to those who spent big bucks on DACS only to look down their noses.

Any stand-alone dac into the $10K (and perhaps a few that are even more expensive) would be fair comparison in my [heavily biased] opinion regarding how outstanding DAC 2.0 sounds. :green:

All that really matters is how you are enjoying your music with your system.  Regarding those who may look down their noses at you because they spent more money, I wouldn't even begin to waste your time playing that game.  That's a one-upmanship, "keeping up with the jones" type of game, but is it really any fun?  They have a lot invested in their game, so try not to make them feel nervous on their tightrope.  Congratulate them instead.  :wink:

What matters is how you are connecting with your music and hopefully loving the time that you spend listening. 

Thanks again for your post!

Vinnie

Bones13

« Reply #108 on: 27 Jul 2018, 01:13 am »
How different will the L2 DAC be compared to the existing DAC 2.0? And will the upcoming L2 DAC work in the LIO?n

Vinnie R.

« Reply #109 on: 27 Jul 2018, 03:42 pm »
How different will the L2 DAC be compared to the existing DAC 2.0? And will the upcoming L2 DAC work in the LIO?n

Hi Bones13,

The L2 DAC is based on the LIO DAC 2.0.  The only differences (besides the labeling on the rear panel and on the PCBs)
are:

1) L2 DAC's main regulator (the voltage regulator that feeds most of the other numerous voltage regulators on the 3 boards) is upgraded to a Belleson SPZ type super-regulator.

2) L2 DAC is $3495 (vs $3295).

Yes, L2 DAC is compatible with LIO.  At some point by the end of this year, L2 DAC will replace LIO DAC 2.0 (it is expensive to stock two versions of essentially the same dac).

For those that want LIO DAC 2.0 upgraded with the Belleson SPZ, I can do it for $250 + return shipping. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

magnuska

« Reply #110 on: 3 Aug 2018, 08:47 am »
Hi Bones13,

The L2 DAC is based on the LIO DAC 2.0.  The only differences (besides the labeling on the rear panel and on the PCBs)
are:

1) L2 DAC's main regulator (the voltage regulator that feeds most of the other numerous voltage regulators on the 3 boards) is upgraded to a Belleson SPZ type super-regulator.

2) L2 DAC is $3495 (vs $3295).

Yes, L2 DAC is compatible with LIO.  At some point by the end of this year, L2 DAC will replace LIO DAC 2.0 (it is expensive to stock two versions of essentially the same dac).

For those that want LIO DAC 2.0 upgraded with the Belleson SPZ, I can do it for $250 + return shipping. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,
As for soundquality , how much upgrade is it compared to DAC 2.0?

Thanks!

Magnus

Theobetley

« Reply #111 on: 3 Aug 2018, 11:24 am »
So Vinnie  I am a bit confused. So as you know I have  the Dac 2.0  in my Lio. Can    this upgrade for $250 be applied to my unit? Does The ps unit feed off the ultracaps?

Theobetley

« Reply #112 on: 3 Aug 2018, 11:26 am »
one more thing can I do the upgrade myself?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #113 on: 3 Aug 2018, 04:04 pm »
So Vinnie  I am a bit confused. So as you know I have  the Dac 2.0  in my Lio. Can    this upgrade for $250 be applied to my unit? Does The ps unit feed off the ultracaps?

one more thing can I do the upgrade myself?

Hi Theobetley,

The upgrade only applies to the LIO DAC 2.0 module, so yes, the power still comes from the LIO ultracap supply.

You would need to send me the module (just the bottom PCB) so I can upgrade the main regulator with the Belleson SPZ (which also
involves removing two tiny surface mount resistors on the PCB, and wiring to the Belleson that gets mounted to the rear plate of the module. 

As for soundquality , how much upgrade is it compared to DAC 2.0?

Thanks!

Magnus

Hi Magnus,

The Belleson SPZ update to the DAC 2.0 improves the openness and decay in the top-end, and noise floor is even lower.  In a revealing system, I believe you'll find this upgrade to be well worth the $250.  But I am not saying it is a major upgrade like going from DAC 1.0 to DAC 2.0.

I hope this helps,

Vinnie

magnuska

« Reply #114 on: 4 Aug 2018, 02:22 pm »

Hi Magnus,

The Belleson SPZ update to the DAC 2.0 improves the openness and decay in the top-end, and noise floor is even lower.  In a revealing system, I believe you'll find this upgrade to be well worth the $250.  But I am not saying it is a major upgrade like going from DAC 1.0 to DAC 2.0.

I hope this helps,

Vinnie
[/quote]

Hi Vinnie,

Thanks for the explanation.
Yes I agree It should be worthwile for the outlay. I trust you on that. :wink:

Regards Magnus

magnuska

« Reply #115 on: 11 Sep 2018, 02:12 pm »
I have had the new upgraded DAC 2.0 for some time now .

Can recommend it!

More music :D

Vinnie R.

« Reply #116 on: 21 Sep 2018, 05:51 pm »
I have had the new upgraded DAC 2.0 for some time now .

Can recommend it!

More music :D

Hi Magnuska,

Thank you, and I'm happy that you like it!  "More music" is what it is all about, my friend!  :banana piano:

Cheers!

Vinnie

trcks

« Reply #117 on: 24 Oct 2018, 05:16 pm »
Hi,

has anyone tried different USB cables with the DAC2.0 and can share their experience?

Thank you

Mitch751

« Reply #118 on: 6 Feb 2019, 02:15 am »
Hi,

Just would like to confirm the following statement :

"FILTER 1 is a "minimal phase, slow roll-off" filter mode that also upsamples all PCM to 768kHz.  So no matter if you are playing 44.1, 96, 192, 384, etc... it upsamples to 768kHz and then performs d/a conversion. "

Which means no matter the original source sample rate of PCM (except DSD), it autos upsamples to 768, however the display of Freq shows the oringal sample instead of upsampled 768, right ?

Thank you

Vinnie R.

« Reply #119 on: 6 Feb 2019, 03:56 am »
Hi Mitch751,

This is all correct! 

- The default filter when you turn on your LIO is Filter 2 (non-oversampling, digital filterless mode). 

- When you toggle to Filter 1, all PCM is internally upsampled to 768kHz (even though the front panel display shows the USB
sample rate of the signal feeding into the DAC 2.0 module).

Best regards

Vinnie