QUAD ESL 63 owners with dipole woofers

f575m

QUAD ESL 63 owners with dipole woofers
« on: 31 May 2017, 07:14 pm »
I would like to communicate with QUAD ESL 63 owners with dipole woofers.

Cheers,

Horacio

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
Re: QUAD ESL 63 owners with dipole woofers
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2017, 10:06 pm »
Greetings: I use a pair of diy Ripole sw's and also a Vandersteen 2w sw with my Quad 988's. The Ripoles use the sls 12" Peerless drivers. The advantage of the Ripole's lies in that a stereo sw application trumps a mono sw as far as soundstage and ambiance.

However the 2w is a serious sw and because of its downward firing design blends pretty well with the room and the loudspeakers.

f575m

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2017, 11:25 pm »
Hi Manolo,

I always had full range speakers - 15" Tannoys [red, silver, HPD385], IMF TLS80, several British kits and so on, I did not feel the need for a sub so my knowledge on the subject is very limited. May you please explain to me what "The advantage of the Ripole's lies in that a stereo sw application trumps a mono sw as far as soundstage and ambiance. However the 2w is a serious sw and because of its downward firing design blends pretty well with the room and the loudspeakers" means?

The best matching subs for the QUADs were the factory approved Gradient W-63 dipoles. I have the plans to build a pair using similar drivers, Peerless 830669, in an H frame configuration and would like to use my spare QUAD 405-2 [100W/Ch] but these subs need a 6dB/octave boost because they are dipoles and most off-the-shelf crossover solutions don't offer this. MT Audio Design in Norway offered the XO-2001 crossover but it is not longer in production.

What amplifiers are you using for the Quads and for the subs?

Best regards,

Horacio

Jacq.

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2017, 01:26 am »
Good luck  Horacio! :duh:

louie3

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2017, 01:27 pm »
I am using a pair of H-frame dipole subs with my ESL 63s, by far the best integration I have had after many other tries.

Subs are crossed at 50 hz with a Dahlquist LP 1, but the Quads are running full range.   Subs use four 12-inch sub drivers (fairly inexpensive JBL).   Amps are a pair of Quad QMP monos.

It took some experimentation to get the volume level on the subs right, so that they do not muddy the Quads.   And, of course as the volume level on the preamp rises so does the sub volume level.   

But once you get a general volume set the system sounds pretty good...subs add air as much as sound.