HD-AVA (and HD-AVP) issues. Defective unit or plain limitations?

simondadiamond

Hey, sorry for the long post but I have been having issues with my HD-AVA and I am wondering if I have a defective unit, or are these just limitations of the device?

1) No USB DAC input button on the remote control... isn't this kind of one of the main selling points of the device? the amazing DAC? with a slew of buttons, one for the USB DAC should really be there, am I just blind? I have to go through a list of like 20 different inputs to change from USB DAC to HDMI DAC (Which I will be doing a lot)... Also, there seems to be "A,B,C,D" buttons but the manual says they are reserved, I can't seem to save any settings on them. Having these work as button setting presets would "fix" the issue of not having a dedicated USB DAC button!!!

2) USB DAC drivers (or internal wiring) have switched the left and right channel... This would not be a big issue if I was not using both DACS

2.1) When using the USB DAC, the NuPrime seems to detect it (when I click on the info button) as Analog 8ch 48KHz, though the USB driver seems to detect it correctly, 8ch analog doesn't sound right at all so I will trust that it is a bug and I should trust the tiny GUI for the driver.

3) The AutoRoom correction does not seem to detect  my left speaker (tried with different cables, and different speakers, it just skips it and configures the right speaker and the subwoofer.
John Casler reported in another post of mine that this is not normal

4) The EQ and bass management do not seem to have an effect on the USB DAC.
Confirmed normal by Jason from Nuprime

This is a real shame, mostly due to the lack of bass management... it actually sends what I believe to be full range signal to the subwoofer ( I tested all variables with only the subwoofer connected) When using the USB DAC, the subs sounds like a cheap boombox lol, I can hear high frequencies and all!!!  And I can't seem to find a way to put a cutoff frequency as I can with the HDMI multichannel DAC or turn the subwoofer off for that matter, only attenuate it by 10db . The only way would be  to go behind my unit and unplug the subwoofer to avoid this if using the USB DAC. Surely I am missing something?

5) The HDMI handshake does not seem to take place properly, every time I turn my NuPrime on I have to go into the settings on my computer, disable the TV monitor, then re-enable it or I have no audio or video. This could be windows 10/my computer though... not NECESSARILY the NuPrime.

6) I am really not sure if the different sound modes are working properly, as half of them I can't select ( Dolby Pro Logic IIz, DTS Neo:6 which appear on the on screen display but cannot be turned red as pure audio and pure direct).This is probably due to the fact that I only have 2 speakers connected though, so I will see with a 3rd center channel (amp on it's way
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2016, 12:12 am by simondadiamond »

chrisc

• Listen to the great composers
You have similar problems with your HD-AVA as I have with a HD-AVP which is a similar device

Yes, the USB does swap the channels around
You cannot select the USB input directly from the remote, you must press Input and scroll down, or turn the left hand knob slowly
The HDMI handshake affects all inputs.  I use USB 80% of the time, yet if I switch on the TV, the sound disappears for about 3 seconds
I noticed that the amp sends the full range to the subwoofer.  However, I was able to configure the sub to ignore everything above 120Hz

In addition I find

The display on the front panel goes out in HDMI mode if another setting other than "Direct" is chosen
I cannot access the GUI menus and can only get them to display by selecting USB and then turning on a TV.  The HOME button does nothing
There is always sound from the rear speakers unless "Direct" is selected.  Jason contradicted me on this, but it is easily discernable
I cannot play SACD discs.  The SACD player states that there is no DSD compliant device attached

However, I discovered someone who lives a hour away who has a HD-AVP.  His GUI menus all work, he can connect to his wifi network.  His display stays on in all modes.  I was unable to check the other perceived shortcomings

Also, NuPrime take 2 months to reply to messages.  I don't want to get to the stage where the warranty has expired and they wash their hands

Having mentioned all this, I am pleased with th USB sound, it is by far the best I have heard

simondadiamond

Hey,

Thanks for the input! I am in contact with Jason himself from NuPrime and my dealer is checking in with his sources as well as for me the flipping of the channels and the "fullrange" SUB ( ok if I upgraded my subwoofer to one that had controls on it I could avoid this but I am at the moment not in a position to waste even more money as all my savings went into this unit!!!) are borderline dealbreakers for me...

I seem to be able to use DSD content bitstreamed from JRiver. It's still a new app for me so there may be some conversion going on (especially since its hard to tell as the GUI displays 8ch analog when in USB DAC mode.... lol should be like 2 channel 1bit or something like that for DSD)

rustydoglim

Also, NuPrime take 2 months to reply to messages.  I don't want to get to the stage where the warranty has expired and they wash their hands

Really sorry and I am embarrassed by this situation. You are an international customer so initially the inquiry did not get to our support. But later even if it did get to us, it still took us way too long to get back to you. I have beat up on our support guy several times on this issue. His excuse was that he has been waiting to get the outside engineer who did the AV decoding to response.

Oh no, your warranty will not be expired and if there is any defect, you have my word that the date you report it is the effective date.
We also don't pay close attention to warranty expiration date. If it is a problem, we will take responsibility.
For example, if your product just happens to fail one month after warranty expiration (or two months...), we will still fix it free of charge.

I want NuPrime to have a culture of treating customer right (we have many customers that come back for many years since NuForce). And we don't hide problem.  If we screw up, like this case, we admit to it. 

We have been relying on international distributors to handle their customers problem, but we need to do a better job of a) supporting them and b) allow international customers to reach us more effectively.  USA customers have a help desk system for reporting.
So I am going to setup a separate help desk system for international customers and dealers.

chrisc

Ok, thank you.  I will be a bit more patient

A few years back I had a BMW (a fairly upmarket model) but the local agent was atrocious, losing the cover plate when changing the oil, leaving off the brake fluid reservoir cap, and snotty to boot.  It developed an oil leak within the 3 year warranty and they had 5 goes at trying to fix it, continually telling me that this was not a guarantee fault and attempting to recover the workshop fees.  The last time I took it in 10 days prior to the expiry of the warranty.  They told me they were awaiting some part and kept the car, and the day after the warranty expired, quoted an astronomical amount to fix what they had 5 goes at fixing before.  My local garage fixed a rubber plug which had been inserted back to front, in 10 mins and did it for free.  So I have been bitten by a supposed upmarket car dealer and are not familiar with NuPrime and their ethicacy, but at least you do receive some feedback on this forum

chrisc

Hey,

Thanks for the input! I am in contact with Jason himself from NuPrime and my dealer is checking in with his sources as well as for me the flipping of the channels and the "fullrange" SUB ( ok if I upgraded my subwoofer to one that had controls on it I could avoid this but I am at the moment not in a position to waste even more money as all my savings went into this unit!!!) are borderline dealbreakers for me...

I seem to be able to use DSD content bitstreamed from JRiver. It's still a new app for me so there may be some conversion going on (especially since its hard to tell as the GUI displays 8ch analog when in USB DAC mode.... lol should be like 2 channel 1bit or something like that for DSD)

I think the 8ch display is just window-dressing.  I looked at another HD-AVP which does not do some of the strange things that mine does, and his is the same in this respect

triumph

I have an issue with trying to read files from a USB thump drive, or portable USB drive.  How do I select it?

The manual says I need to plug in the USB drive, then select File Manager to access the drive.  It doesn't work.  All I get in File Manager is two options:  Network, and uPNP.  My drives are not showing up.  They are formatted FAT32 as that's the format that usually works with other similar devices.. but the manual doesn't mention anything about formatting the USB drives.

Help?

chrisc

It did not work on my HD-AVP either, yet worked on another HD-AVP I looked at.  The "Media" button on the remote displayed USB Cruzer on the screen and when Enter was pressed, showed the music files on the drive

rustydoglim

Please send this "USB drive problem" to support@nuprimeaudio.com.
For your AVP, please also try another USB drive to see if it makes any different. I am only speculating that it could be some USB drives are  borderline connecting with AVP such that it can be seen by one AVP but not another. So it might not be the problem with AVP but the USB thumb drive. It is hard to say.
Anyway, please contact our support staff to check it out.

triumph

I fired up the AVP today, but this time, I plugged in the USB thumb drive before turning on the AVP, hopefully making the AVP see the USB when it booted.

And it worked.  I was able to plug unplug both thumb drives that weren't working yesterday, one formatted FAT32, the other Mac OS Extended (Journaled).  I was able to navigate and play files on both thumb drives.
Unfortunately, no amount of plugging / unplugging made my portable 2.5" hard drive seen by the AVP.   I even tried a powered hub to give the HD more juice, but no go.

rustydoglim

I have no problem with the portable drive (Western Digital) connecting to HD-AVP.  Try another portable drive if you have one (I have 4 or 5 lying around over the years)

triumph

I tried 3 already. 

I also have a powered dock that I need to bring over the AVP to find if that works.

John Casler

I used 3 different Western Digital Passport 1T drives at the SHOW and they all worded fine as did the USB sticks.

I wonder what "size" drives U R using and if that might factor in.  I don't know the size limit.  :scratch:

triumph

So far, I tried a Toshiba 1TB, a Seagate 500G and a WD 500G.  I even tried a couple of SCSI Toshiba 80G.  All in 2.5" factor.

JackD

I guess I am confused here.  As Jason knows I am a Nuprime fan and own an IDA-8 and both of the "10" pieces.  If you got or get a unit that doesn't operate as advertised or per the instructions in the manual send it back for a replacement or if the dealer balks a refund.  The amount of time you guys are spending trying to make "quirky" units work is time out of your life.  You paid for a fully functioning unit so get one. If not file a claim with PayPal or your CC company.  It's really that simple.  If your unit doesn't work out of the box you don't need to contact "support" send it back. 

triumph

Quirky is right... functionalities keep adding up the longer I get the unit!

Today, 2 of my drives worked out right away.  Both the Seagate and the WD (320G, I keyed in the wrong size earlier) are working fine.  But the Toshiba and a Fujitsu (found that one in a drawer) do not.

It's like the AVP software is slowly learning about me... scary!  Skynet, anyone?

rustydoglim

Unlike stereo products which are very straight forward, AVP, WR-100, and other later products that involve complex features with software app, OS, firmware are sometimes not so easy to determine whether it is a bug or not.
In any case, a guiding principle is "Customer Satisfaction".

JackD

Thank you Jason as I guess that was my point.  If the product doesn't work due to software or even hardware issues let the factory figure it out and not the buyer in the field especially if you live outside the US.  If the dealer or even worse the distributor balks outside the US then let the financial parties fight it out while you sit on the sidelines. I had a faulty IDA-8 from the first batch and I just got a new flawless one in less than a week. I let the support staff figure out what was wrong with the first unit.  Not my problem to deal with.  So to all of you guys that are getting a unit that has issues just send it back.  Quit looking for answers on the forum.  If out of the box it doesn't work as the manual says it should send it back. But that doesn't apply to those who hook stuff up without reading the manual first.  Something I learned a long time ago when buying used or new.  Read the manual before the product shows up at your door and then you won't have problems or surprises.

triumph

Thanks Jason.  Yes, stereo is much easier!  :) 

Jack, I did read the manual... but since you don't have the AVP, I guess you didn't read it... it is quite... succinct... to be honest.  Most functions are not covered by the manual, so I guess posting here will let others understand how the AVP works, without getting customer service swamped with the same questions over and over with no time to devote on other things. 

I hope my USB DAC problem is a software problem and not hardware.

So, on to testing…

I had a separation problem with the iMac that is connected to the AVP. 
I made an audio file to steer the sound hard right and hard left.  When I played on the iMac, both channels were still playing, with a slight 5 or 6dB less in the channel that was supposed to be quiet.

I took my Mac Mini down and hooked it up.  Now, I get good separation R and L.  So, my iMac has an audio driver problem…

Switching to the mini helped finding how things are wired in either software or hardware.  That’s for NuPrime’s engineer to find out, I guess…  :)

With the Mini, I find that the right surround channel is playing the right front channel, and the left surround channel is playing the right front channel.

With the centre channel, it is playing the right front channel only.  When sound is panned to the left, there is no sound from the centre channel.

Now, to find if this is related to Apple’s own audio drivers, I will hook a Windows box tomorrow, I just ran out of time today.

Will keep you posted.

JackD

triumph

Didn't indicate whether or not I thought you did or didn't read the manually but you would be shocked at the number of owners who jump on forums and ask questions and complain while the manual is still in the plastic.  Your problem is obviously bigger than that as it appears are the problems of the others with these two pieces.