200K Vandersteen CES system-2015--what will Vandersteen show at 2016 CES

mgsboedmisodpc2

This was the equipment in one of Vandersteen's CES rooms 2015

Vandersteen Model 7 Mk II speakers ($62,000/pair)
M7-HPA amps ($52,000/pair)
Brinkmann Spyder turntable ($14,000)
two 10.5 tonearms ($6300 each)
RoNt II tubed power supply ($4300)
Lyra Atlas ($9500)
Lyra Kleos mono ($3500)
Audio Research: Reference 5 SE ($13,000)
Reference Phono 10 ($30,000)

Over $200,900 not including cables...
Has any body hear this system? I think Vandersteen should have a room featuring the 1Ci using gear similarly priced.

ctsooner

Just showing off his best effort.   For a speaker that goes for 60k, 200k is normal.  I have a lot of friends who have and LOVE their Vandersteen 7's and their gear is at least at 200k.

As for the 1c's,Tone Audio's review kind of shows how great it is for the cost.  It is an amazing review by someone who isn't getting anything special from products he writes about. 

I just sent someone I know from another board to Audio Connections in NJ as he had interest in the Quatro's, but he realized he couldn't afford them, so he listened to the 2 signatures and fell in love.  He even bought a new integrated with the money he saved and will be so happy with a new system.  Yes, he has read all the reviews of Richard winning best sound at show with a system that cost's 200k, but he beat out many other speakers that cost near that on their OWN!  To me, he gives value at each price point he's producing at. 

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/vandersteen-1ci-loudspeakers/  There is the link for you if you wanted to check it out.  I assume you have Vandersteen's already though and probably are like the rest of us...passionate about their sound.  Most dealers and manufacturers will bring their top products and that trickle down sells the rest of the line.

geowak

I have not heard his Model 7 speakers but my dealer has them. Given the fact Mr Vandersteen is making a  high end speaker these past couple years, when he was mostly interested in the budget speakers like the 2, 2C and later the 2CE in the early days, points to the fact that the market may be lagging for his lower priced offerings. There are more and more budget speakers to choose from now. Also he has recently offered his speakers on Music Direct, much to the dismay of his current dealers.

I have the 2CE Sig II and I love the speakers, but I think Mr Vandersteen is looking at a change of audience, and new ways to market his speakers. I guess one cannot blame him.

dminches

He has been making high end speakers for years. The 5As were first introduced in the mid-80s. The model 7s are a decade old. His business model may have changed somewhat but his products remain true to form.

geowak

"Richard Vandersteen has accomplished many things in high-end audio, but building a loudspeaker that is competitive with the best in the world regardless of price heretofore has not been one of them. Instead "Vandersteen has spent the last thirty-five years creating high-value, no-nonsense speakers that anyone can afford. For example, his Model 2 (now the 2Ce Sig.II.at $2195) is probably the best-selling audiophile-quality loudspeaker of all time. Moreover, for the first 22 years of the company’s existence, Vandersteen’s most expensive loudspeaker cost just $3695 per pair. Working at the edge of the art was clearly not Vandersteen’s forte." TAS 2010

Richard seemed to be more interested in speakers for budget minded people for the first 22 years.

"It's difficult to believe that the former top model of Vandersteen Audio's line of loudspeakers, the Model 5, has been in production in one form or another since 1997. Time passes quickly when you're having fun. Like all Vandersteen speakers, the 5 was and remains a good value and performance proposition. For all the 5's high technology and excellent performance both measured and audible, its price now starts at under $20,000/pair (up from about $10,000/pair when the 5 was introduced in 1997), including a built-in, proprietary powered subwoofer in each cabinet, and a sophisticated equalization system for room compensation." MF in Stereophile

Model 5 came out in 1997, which was really long into Vandersteen history. But yeah I did not realize the Model 7 had been out so long now. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and his speakers....

ctsooner

Yes the market for high end has shifted. If folks still want his great offerings for lesser prices and affordable gear, then they need to realize he needs the highest end. Scale of economy, pass down R&D etc...  There is a reason the 2signatures are so darn good and always getting better.  It comes from the 7's directly.  It all makes sense for his business model to survive and hopefully thrive.

mgsboedmisodpc2

ctsooner wrote "There is a reason the 2signatures are so darn good and always getting better.  It comes from the 7's directly".  The model 2 has only model 5 components today.  The model 2 does not have any model 7 components yet it is my understanding though I could be wrong.

ctsooner

Dealers have Model 1's, 2's and 3's but few have the Sevens.  This is why they like to bring the big stuff.  There may not be any direct parts from the Sevens in the 1's, 2's and 3's but the research on the expensive speakers has a profound impact on all the other ones.  Pushing the envelope allways promotes progress.  The research in the original Model 2 is what everything they make is based on still today!  Call it trickle up and down.  We all know there are dramatically fewer dealers that there were 15 years ago.  How he markets his speakers/amps has nothing to do with his dedication to customers at all price ranges as shown in the significant advancement in the 1's, 2's and 3's in the last few years.  Hopefully that clears things up a bit.  I can promise you that what I'm saying is 100% correct. 

Doublej

I had not realized that the 1,2,3 had been updated recently. What are some of the recent changes to each and when were they last updated.

ctsooner

Guys, Richard constantly upgrades his products when newer and better caps and components come out. He doesn't give them a new model number change until he has enough changes.  Many manufacturers do this as they want to constantly bring the best products to us.  He's actually a modest guy.  He just has a passion to give us his best and he feels strongly that he builds the best speakers and amps ever.  That's what makes this hobby so much fun, but yes he upgrades constantly.  Subtle changes usually.

mgsboedmisodpc2

Doublej wrote
"I had not realized that the 1,2,3 had been updated recently. What are some of the recent changes to each and when were they last updated."

Well all those models now use the barrier strip for speaker connections.

ctsooner

They have always used strips. Richard just upgrades them on occasion.  He never tells us when he does some upgrades, bt like all manufacturer's they do upgrades all the time if they can.

nrenter

They have always used strips.

Nope. Banana's used to be standard. Still used on the subs.

dminches

Nope. Banana's used to be standard. Still used on the subs.

That is correct.  My first pair of 2Cs had bananas.

ctsooner

Wow, that's right.  Way back when.  The strips have been used for at least ten years no?  I am new to Vandy as I wasn't always in love as my Vandy dealer just didn't set them up right and he pushed Proac which I ended up with three pair after it was said and done. Just sold the last pair a year ago.  Thanks for showing.

Gassing is a big reason he loves the strips and they do sound better according to Richard. I have to take his word for it as he puts a lot of money into his speakers that folks don't always see.  They are very expensive to make them the way he does. 

Thanks for setting me straight.