Nuprime/Nuforce vs Devialet

Arpagon

Nuprime/Nuforce vs Devialet
« on: 6 Jul 2015, 05:42 pm »
Hi,
Anyone, or maybe Jason in particular, can explain the difference, if any, between the technologies used by Nuprime as opposed to those developped by Devialet ? Everything seems to be patented in it's own right, but they seem very alike to me. I'm referring here, to be more precise, to the claim about the use of Class A for the signal and Class D for the «current». A word about this, Jason ?

rustydoglim

Re: Nuprime/Nuforce vs Devialet
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2015, 06:17 pm »
I have no real insight into Devialet design so it is difficult to explain the difference.  From the public information that I can see, they put class A emphasis on the output stage, whereas IDA-8 focus on the input stage.
There are many ways to optimize the circuit at this level, and THD+N below 0.01% is not noticeable. In fact, more even harmonics might have worst THD+N but sounded better.  Ultimately at this level of performance, it is difficult to judge whether one design sounded better than another. We are really into the PERSONAL PREFERENCE territory.  A few years ago, we can pick on some design imperfections in certain design and implementation, but it is harder to do now. 

I think Devialet, Hypex, IcePower and NuPrime can all come up with very good designs.  I can comment that within NuPrime, we are now constrain not by knowhow, but by cost and sound characteristic. I am not saying that there is no room for improvement - for example, we are looking into having multiple personalities integrated into one amp, or controlling the even harmonics.

I would also say that in the past, the challenge is how to make it better.  Now the challenge is how to make it cheaper (with world class performance).  So I think IDA-8 by itself is a benchmark.  It is not as good as IDA-16, but unbeatable at this price.

jpm

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2015, 03:11 am »
Apart from core technologies like amplifier design, one of the most notable Devialet features is the degree to which software updates can add or change operation and functionality.  This in itself is groundbreaking and a feature I'd love to see other manufacturers adopt. The value that it adds for the customer is astonishing.

Arpagon

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2015, 01:08 pm »
I am aware of these kind of difference between the two products. There are also some quite important différences regarding their price...
What concerns me mainly is the fact that both companies claim «revolutionnary» and «proprietary» advancements, patented and so. regarding the amplifier technology, whereas the difference between these technologies seem quite difficult to ascertain (even to Jason, apparently).
So I am tempted to ask myself: wtf?. Anyway.  Thank's.    :? 

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2015, 07:35 am »
If you order NuPrime and Devialet for in-home trial and compare, but decided to keep the Devialet, I will give you full refund.
How about that? Now you can go ask Devialet if they are confident enough to let you try :)

firedog

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2015, 08:34 am »
In design the Devialet amps and the Nuprime amps are very different; in basic functionality the Nuprime IDA amps and the Devialet are quite similar (DAC/PRE/AMP in one relatively compact case, oriented towards digital input). You could more or less substitute them one for another in a functioning stereo setup.

I have heard the "bottom of the line" Devialet amp, the 120 - and was very impressed. I haven't heard the Nuprime amps yet, so I can't compare them sound wise. What I can compare is price. Basically, the least expensive Devialet is more than double the price of the comparable Nuprime model, the IDA 16.

The significance or importance of that I will leave to others to decide.

rodney gold

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2015, 09:05 am »
I have a Devialet d premier running my Vivid audio giya G1's.. I have ordered a IDA 8 and will do a direct comparison.

Arpagon

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2015, 05:02 pm »
Well, thank you Jason; it is nice to see how much you trust your products. :thumb:

I already am the owner of your products: P9 preamp, Ref9SEV2 monoblocks, in the process of being upgraded to V3 by the canadian distributor in Montréal. By the way, I understand that there is no possibility to have them upgraded to the V4 board (or at least the canadian distributor did not mention). Do you have a trade-in policy ?

This upgrade has been mandatory for me because one of the amps failed and did not want to power up anymore. I have been waiting the return of both my amps for a few months now. Patience is mandatory here...

This was the second time one of  these amps failed me. Maybe I have been unlucky, but I sure hope that your products have improved on the reliability side.

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2015, 07:09 pm »
Well, thank you Jason; it is nice to see how much you trust your products. :thumb:

I already am the owner of your products: P9 preamp, Ref9SEV2 monoblocks, in the process of being upgraded to V3 by the canadian distributor in Montréal. By the way, I understand that there is no possibility to have them upgraded to the V4 board (or at least the canadian distributor did not mention). Do you have a trade-in policy ?

This upgrade has been mandatory for me because one of the amps failed and did not want to power up anymore. I have been waiting the return of both my amps for a few months now. Patience is mandatory here...

This was the second time one of  these amps failed me. Maybe I have been unlucky, but I sure hope that your products have improved on the reliability side.

Yes, we can offer trade-in to Ref 20.  Email me and I will discuss with Richard from V-Max.  Or ask Richard to talk to me.  The new generation amps are very reliable.
I welcome a shootout with Devialet or any other model. IDA-8 is unbeatable at this price range :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2015, 10:26 pm »
While all systems, rooms and ears are different, as a NuPRIME Dealer, I had a customer who had the Devialet (200 I believe) who purchased the IDA-16 and ultimately sold his Devialet.

He did not say the IDA-16 totally blew the Devialet away, but he did prefer it, especially for the difference in price.

YYMV

Genez

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2015, 08:05 pm »
Hi,
Anyone, or maybe Jason in particular, can explain the difference, if any, between the technologies used by Nuprime as opposed to those developped by Devialet ?

I can already tell you one big difference.  Many more people will be able to hear and enjoy great sounding audio because NuPrime is affordable. What ever benefits the Devialet may offer?  Its like an exclusive club for only the very wealthy.  Most of us never will visit one.  But, many people can sure enjoy a walk in the woods enjoying the fresh air and observing its beauty.

I never drove a Rolls Royce. Does that mean its has to make me become dissatisfied with my otherwise excellent car? Some folks think if they never have what is touted as the absolutely very best?  That they can not be happy with the sound of anything less.  The problem most likely is... they do not know how to get the best sound from the excellent equipment they already own.  They should learn how to optimize what they already have first. They may be in for a surprise.

rodney gold

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2015, 06:43 am »
The devialet is a value based purchase as well as a great sounding and stunning looking  unit...
Its a dac , pre , phono stage , AD, amp, wireless streamer , does speaker bass correction , has tone controls, does DSD , is a headphone amp , will allow high pass and low pass filters for output  and subs etc and is almost infinitely configurable as to I/O  and is not really a class D device..
If the ida 8 comes close SQ wise .. its a bargain even if its missing a few "features" compared to the devialet
The model that competes with the IDA is the 120 - its 5000 euros...
10 of us in SA have bought the IDA 8 based on a "leap of faith".. its so inexpensive that if its not all that up to snuff , you dont lose the farm 

Genez

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2015, 02:21 am »
5492.2 Dollars is value based?   Who's values?   :?   

5492.2 Dollars for only their entry level piece?  Versus 995.00 dollars for the IDA-8?  Their targeted perceived value must be the filthy rich. 

I like NuPrime's way better.  I perceive them as valuing people. And, they are  not afraid of working harder to produce more, to be enjoyed by more.  The value based system is based upon how to work the least, while reaching a certain profit goal.  Its all about illusion marketing.  Often times, as in case like this,  it must depend upon the gullibility of those who have more money than they know what to do with.  Often times these targeted value based customers only end up with the illusion of "having the best."    Remember... the early specialty CD players?  The one's that were geared towards the big spender?  They sold for a much higher price. Yet, today, most decent CD player at a fraction of the cost will sound much better.

(off the soap box)...

mv

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2015, 04:12 am »
I have a Devialet d premier running my Vivid audio giya G1's.. I have ordered a IDA 8 and will do a direct comparison.

How is it?

You should also try the DAC-10 as a DAC that drives your Devialet d premier.

rodney gold

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2015, 10:21 am »
I havent got my grubby paws on it yet.
I bought my Devialet D premier on its sq first and foremost.... the other stuff is frills..
Using a DAC with the devialet means It will do an analog to digital conversion and then do an extra DA  before outputting power..

JackD

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2015, 01:40 am »
Genez

This is a different type product aimed at a different audience.  If you add up the price of the comparable Nuprime parts, DAC-10H and ST-10, plus add a fully adjustable phono stage and streamer you might find yourself over the price  of the Devialet.  This is the opinion of the owner of a DAC-10 and IDA-8 and with an ST-10 coming in the next month.  I have "friends" on another forum that have replaced separates 10 times the price of the Devialet with one and are driving speakers from Sonus Faber, PMC, Raidho, Focal, Revel and others.  Plus the Devialet looks like a work of art.  So if you can afford one and want it buy it. Makes simplifying a system in a "public" area of the house easy.  Extremely high WAF.

Genez

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2015, 06:19 am »
Genez

This is a different type product aimed at a different audience.  If you add up the price of the comparable Nuprime parts, DAC-10H and ST-10, plus add a fully adjustable phono stage and streamer you might find yourself over the price  of the Devialet.  This is the opinion of the owner of a DAC-10 and IDA-8 and with an ST-10 coming in the next month.  I have "friends" on another forum that have replaced separates 10 times the price of the Devialet with one and are driving speakers from Sonus Faber, PMC, Raidho, Focal, Revel and others.  Plus the Devialet looks like a work of art.  So if you can afford one and want it buy it. Makes simplifying a system in a "public" area of the house easy.  Extremely high WAF.

I was just venting because I can not afford a Devialet.   I also think my boss's son's Mercedes AMG C63 is a piece a junk.  :wink:

rodney gold

« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2015, 06:56 am »

mv

« Reply #18 on: 1 Aug 2015, 11:24 am »
Read my impressions here

http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,46429.0.html

Did you use the power cable that came in the box, or an upgraded one?

What speaker cables did you use, and did you connect it directly to your speakers?

Did you try wireless streaming?

rodney gold

« Reply #19 on: 1 Aug 2015, 04:13 pm »
Cable is generic .. all my hifi room runs off a 3kw inverter , so its pure sine wave regenerated power
My speaker cables are munsdorf silver ribbon
I didnt try wireless