LIO AVC/Tubestage combo module - coming August!

LARRY KYOTO

Re: LIO AVC/Tubestage combo module - coming August!
« Reply #60 on: 27 Dec 2016, 03:59 am »
Lio stock & Telefunken for me.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #61 on: 27 Dec 2016, 05:05 pm »
As this module has been out for some time now, what are your preffered tubes and why?

Hi mirekti,

As Larry mentioned, it's hard to go wrong with the Telefunken E88CC (Upscale Audio has them new-in-the-box).
Check into the previous posts in this forum... it has been discussed.

Best regards,

Vinnie

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: 27 Dec 2016, 07:57 pm »
Hi mirekti,

As Larry mentioned, it's hard to go wrong with the Telefunken E88CC (Upscale Audio has them new-in-the-box).
Check into the previous posts in this forum... it has been discussed.

Best regards,

Vinnie
It's what I use too.

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/telefunken-e88cc-6922?variant=21828935301

You want Platinum and Cryo options.

mirekti

« Reply #63 on: 27 Dec 2016, 08:47 pm »
Ok, thanks for the replies. I just wondered what each tube brings or takes away.
I will start with the stock tubes for now and roll a bit later after I get to know stock ones beter.
This was already answered before, but it seems I cannot find it on search. Hoe many hours should one expect from the tubes in buffer before they need a replacement?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #64 on: 27 Dec 2016, 08:51 pm »
Ok, thanks for the replies. I just wondered what each tube brings or takes away.
I will start with the stock tubes for now and roll a bit later after I get to know stock ones beter.
This was already answered before, but it seems I cannot find it on search. Hoe many hours should one expect from the tubes in buffer before they need a replacement?

Hi mirekti,

In the LIO's circuit, you can expect thousands of hours on the tubes (5+ years is not out of the ordinary here!)

Vinnie

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #65 on: 27 Dec 2016, 09:14 pm »
What state are you in? 

mirekti

« Reply #66 on: 27 Dec 2016, 09:20 pm »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: 27 Dec 2016, 09:38 pm »

mirekti

« Reply #68 on: 28 Dec 2016, 12:26 am »
Do you own a LIO already?

It is being built in the factory, will have it in few weeks :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 28 Dec 2016, 12:31 am »
It is being built in the factory, will have it in few weeks :)
Congrats!  You will be in love.  After you get it and get acclimated to the sound (or lack of) reply back.  Maybe I'll send you my Tele's to try so you don't have to spend $400 off the bat. 

mirekti

« Reply #70 on: 28 Dec 2016, 12:44 am »
Congrats!  You will be in love.  After you get it and get acclimated to the sound (or lack of) reply back.  Maybe I'll send you my Tele's to try so you don't have to spend $400 off the bat.

Thanks a lot for your offer, I appreciate it.
I am curious what Telefunken can bring into the game, but maybe the best route is to stick to the stock tubes for few months first and get to know them well.
Cheers!!!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: 28 Dec 2016, 12:57 am »
Thanks a lot for your offer, I appreciate it.
I am curious what Telefunken can bring into the game, but maybe the best route is to stick to the stock tubes for few months first and get to know them well.
Cheers!!!
I was very happy with the stock JJ's.  No doubt about that.  That was until I installed the Tele's.  Game over.   :oops:

LARRY KYOTO

« Reply #72 on: 28 Dec 2016, 06:24 am »

Vinnie's legendary customer service continues to inspire customers too...share the LIO love  :dance:

Mitch751

« Reply #73 on: 29 Dec 2016, 02:00 am »
Vinnie's legendary customer service continues to inspire customers too...share the LIO love  :dance:

I have taken almost a year listening to few different tubes, and I rank them as follows :

1. Telefunken E188CC
2. RTC E188CC
3. Gold Aero 6922 EC88
4. Siemens E88CC
5. LIO Stock
6. Mullard E188CC
7. Amperex 6922

Vinnie R.

« Reply #74 on: 3 Jan 2017, 04:21 pm »
I have taken almost a year listening to few different tubes, and I rank them as follows :

1. Telefunken E188CC
2. RTC E188CC
3. Gold Aero 6922 EC88
4. Siemens E88CC
5. LIO Stock
6. Mullard E188CC
7. Amperex 6922

Hi Mitch751,

Thanks for trying all those tubes and posting your ranking! 

Is this the Telefunken E188CC that you ranked # 1:
https://www.tubedepot.com/products/telefunken-diamond-bottom-e188cc-7308-gold-pin

Have you even tried 1950s Siemens Cca, Amperex Pinched Waist (or 7308 "PQ"), or MiniWatt Dario E188CC?
So many good tubes to try, so little time  :green:

All,

As we have seen with the DHT PRE tube rolling thread - based on your own system and tastes, everyone is going to have different findings with the various tubes and there is no "best" tube in general, but you will find there is a best tube for your tastes
as you listen to different tubes.  Definitely post your findings!  But to newcomers to tube rolling with their LIO, I just want
to point this out.

Also, there are instances where there are different versions of a particular tube.  For example, "Amperex 6922".  There
are many different Amperex 6922s (various production years, production countries, gold pins, white/orange/green label,
etc. etc). 

Have fun and thanks for sharing your experiences,

Vinnie

Mitch751

« Reply #75 on: 4 Jan 2017, 05:22 am »
Hello Vinnie,

What you said is absolutely right.

Yes, this is the Telefunken E188CC that I mentioned, which I bought 30 years ago.

No, I have not tried 1950s Siemens Cca, Amperex Pinched Waist (or 7308 "PQ"), or MiniWatt Dario E188CC.

Mitch751

« Reply #76 on: 21 Jan 2017, 02:43 am »
Ok, finally ordered my first Siemens CCa 60' and have a listen for few days.

My first impression, its sound quality is superb, especially in lower bass and excellent soundstage, and I really love it, so I have ordered another one but made in '50.

If you ask me to make a comparison with Telefunken E188CC, my subjective opinion - I think Telefunken is slightly outperforming, particular on the treble high side, and slightly more airily.

My person taste, I prefer Telefunken for Classical music, and leave the Pop /Rock / Jazz with Seimens CCa

Vinnie R.

« Reply #77 on: 23 Jan 2017, 03:44 pm »
Hi Mitch751,

Thank you for posting about the Siemens CCa's!

If I recall correctly, I tried (borrowed) a pair of CCa's from the 50's (in RWA monoblocks) and they were
among the best 6922/7308 variation that I have heard.  Like the Amperex 6922 Pinched Waist, they are
more rare (and expensive).

If you ask me to make a comparison with Telefunken E188CC, my subjective opinion - I think Telefunken is slightly outperforming, particular on the treble high side, and slightly more airily.

:thumb:

Thanks for posting your impressions (and pics!) of your LIO AVC/Tubestage tube rolling!

Vinnie

CSI

« Reply #78 on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:22 pm »
I recently bought a pair of Telefunken E88CC's from TomS (the ones from Upscale Audio he posted pictures of). I haven't written up my impressions but suffice it to say they are an across the board improvement over the very good stock tubes. A worthwhile buy. Last week I did a favor for an audiophile friend and he "paid" me with box of old tubes. Two of these are Amperex 6922's from the early sixties. Although they are not matched and even come from different generations (one is a "white box" PQ, the other is an earlier "pinched waist") I tried them in my LIO today. Wow. This is THE tube for LIO to my ears. Not "better" than the Tele's in all ways but with a real touch of tube magic through the highs and midrange that I don't hear from either of the other tubes. So if you are looking for an alternative upgrade you might want to look at a pair of Amperex 6922 PQ'S.
If you go for the pinch waste, caveat emptor. My friend tested this one and marked the box "non-micro" and I hear no issues. But they are supposed to be prone to microphonics so be very careful.

TomS

« Reply #79 on: 24 Jan 2017, 03:44 am »
I recently bought a pair of Telefunken E88CC's from TomS (the ones from Upscale Audio he posted pictures of). I haven't written up my impressions but suffice it to say they are an across the board improvement over the very good stock tubes. A worthwhile buy. Last week I did a favor for an audiophile friend and he "paid" me with box of old tubes. Two of these are Amperex 6922's from the early sixties. Although they are not matched and even come from different generations (one is a "white box" PQ, the other is an earlier "pinched waist") I tried them in my LIO today. Wow. This is THE tube for LIO to my ears. Not "better" than the Tele's in all ways but with a real touch of tube magic through the highs and midrange that I don't hear from either of the other tubes. So if you are looking for an alternative upgrade you might want to look at a pair of Amperex 6922 PQ'S.
If you go for the pinch waste, caveat emptor. My friend tested this one and marked the box "non-micro" and I hear no issues. But they are supposed to be prone to microphonics so be very careful.
Good to hear they worked out for you.

I just happen to also have a set of those Amperex 6922 PQ's for sale too  :wink:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145899.msg1560898#msg1560898