Anyone up for a new thread material experiment?

watercourse

Re: Anyone up for a new thread material experiment?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jun 2014, 05:07 pm »
Quirky is right, but you should listen. Can't judge a book by its cover.

ctsooner

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jun 2014, 06:12 pm »
That's why I want John to get them into Audio Connection ;), lol.....that way I can hear VPI vs Clearaudio vs WT.

vortrex

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jun 2014, 09:42 pm »
thanks Vortex.  That's my biggest concern.  My dealer would get WT if I wanted to buy one badly enough.  I need to listen to one first.  He has VPI and Clearaudio Concept I guess it would be.  I'd need to listen to all at the same place and time obviously to see what matches best with my system. I have a friend who has the more expensive WT and he swears by it.  Maybe the dealer would just give me a bunch of belts just in case. I am a woodworker and would be able to build the jig, but the tying part could be a problem in the future and I worry about that part I guess.  Interesting stuff.

I went from a VPI Classic to a WTA.  No comparison sound wise.  I have very shaky hands and tying the belts was not exactly easy.

ctsooner

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jun 2014, 09:44 pm »
cool.  What WT? What are the biggest differences you heard?  I need to hear the Simplex vs Amadeus to hear differences in those two also.

vortrex

« Reply #24 on: 7 Jun 2014, 09:52 pm »
I had the standard Amadeus and the GTA, never heard the Simplex.  To me, the VPI Classic is for someone who wants to spin vinyl without looking for the best sound possible.  Someone who wants a nice looking and easy to use table with good vendor support.  Really, sound wise, everything was better with the WT.  The bass was especially better on the WT.  It just sounded more like real music.  So much more lively and interesting than the the VPI.  The VPI has a lot of features that are better than the WT though, all depends what you want.  If you want a table that sounds similar to the WT, think about a Townshend Rock 7.  You lose all the hassles of the WT and get better performance.

ctsooner

« Reply #25 on: 7 Jun 2014, 09:56 pm »
Thanks for sharing. Isn't the Townshend a lot more money though?

vortrex

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jun 2014, 09:58 pm »
Yes, it is more in line with the Versalex.

ctsooner

« Reply #27 on: 7 Jun 2014, 10:03 pm »
Just looked it up.  I probably won't be able to go that far out as I will need a better phono stage and cartridge at that point.  Looks like a neat table though, that's for sure.
I have to keep table and arm to around 2k or less hopefully.  Simplex is in that range.

watercourse

« Reply #28 on: 11 Jun 2014, 04:30 am »
I've heard all flavors of the current WT table line except for the Versalex... and all the original arm - haven't heard the LTD.

Much of the differences between the Amadeus and the Simplex were down to the cart, which were always at least $500 more on the Amadeus, not to mention different setups. Both are very musical, but the Amadeus is slightly more authoritative, bass digs a bit deeper, soundstage slightly more enveloping (?). Those may be the only few characteristics I can say may be down to the table itself. Never having set up an Amadeus or had one in my house, its hard for me to say more.

watercourse

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jun 2014, 11:14 pm »
Ugh... the belt just broke!

vortrex

« Reply #30 on: 14 Jun 2014, 12:42 am »
I remember that feeling.  Always seemed to happen right when I was all pumped for a night of listening.

watercourse

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jun 2014, 12:45 am »
Friday the 13th... but it's been a gorgeous day in your old city vortrex... full moon, solar flares, what could go wrong?

ADiG

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jun 2014, 07:16 am »
Watercourse, try the nylon thread, you will not regret  :thumb:

watercourse

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jun 2014, 04:17 pm »
Maybe one of these days, but getting belts whenever I need them from Mike Pranka makes me lazy

ctsooner

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jul 2014, 03:32 pm »
Well, I just got the Basic 1400 with clamp and Benz Glider with a Heed Quasar phono. I love it and it's so nice to be back into vinyl.  I didnt' get the WT only because of the belt. It's just too much of a hassle for me now.  I"m very happy with the sound. I wonder how long that will last?  lol.  thanks to all who shared their thoughts. Seems like WT and Basis offer a lot for the money.

watercourse

« Reply #35 on: 26 Jul 2014, 03:45 pm »
I got a couple of belts with the WTA. The first one died after a listening session with 45 rpm LPs. This next one is holding up. It's been a couple of weeks now.

I got some monofilament and made up 4 belts, but haven't broken into those yet. One spool will last more than one lifetime, and making your own belt is very easy.

ctsooner

« Reply #36 on: 26 Jul 2014, 04:04 pm »
I"m sure it is easy, but I didnt' want to fuss with it when I could get a well built table from the US that looks great and feels great, but sounds even better.  I have now listened to many of the tables on the market for 2k and under and to me the Basis sounds awesome. I liked the WT when I got to hear it, but it's no better to my ears than the Basis. They do different things better. I'd have been very happy with either, but I got a great deal on a NOS 1400 with Glider and it's perfect for my needs.  The WT is a great value in my opinion also.  I think both are much better than the Clearaudio, Project, Rega and everything else in between.

watercourse

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jul 2014, 04:11 pm »
I"m sure it is easy, but I didnt' want to fuss with it when I could get a well built table from the US that looks great and feels great, but sounds even better.  I have now listened to many of the tables on the market for 2k and under and to me the Basis sounds awesome. I liked the WT when I got to hear it, but it's no better to my ears than the Basis. They do different things better. I'd have been very happy with either, but I got a great deal on a NOS 1400 with Glider and it's perfect for my needs.  The WT is a great value in my opinion also.  I think both are much better than the Clearaudio, Project, Rega and everything else in between.

Sorry if it sounded like I was questioning your decision - I wasn't.

Just reporting back my experiences with a new table, where the Simplex belts kept breaking left and right, and I had to keep pestering poor Mike Pranka for additional belts, which he was very happy to provide. So far, the WTA belts seem better, pitch stability is more consistent overall, which as I've noted was the first indicator that the Simplex belt was going to break.

The Basis belts cost some dough though. I had a friend that had a Basis table that moved on because of the costs associated. I never heard one, but he ultimately has replaced it with a Rega and then finally a Clearaudio table. There is definitely confidence built around the fit and finish of the Basis and Clearaudio tables.

ctsooner

« Reply #38 on: 27 Jul 2014, 12:32 am »
Oh, I know you weren't questioning anything.  WhenI need a new belt, I'll spend the 120 to get the new one. It's as good as an upgrade and I look at it that way.  Mine was the year before the new belt came out. I can get the same belt I have now for only 25, but why? lol.  Belt and then the upgrade to the new arm is all I'll ever do to this table. it uses the same motor a their top of the line table and I have it on a Gingko 11 custom platform (on the way).  That with the clamp will give me an even better table than I have now.  I haven't heard a table combo under 6k that sounds as good to be honest.  I liked the much more expensive table that Ayre is importing. Heard it with the top of the line Ortifon  arm with Cadenza Black MC with EAR phono.  That was one expensive system and was much better than mine, but not for the cost.  I heard the WTA in the same system and it was on par with mine. Both are best buys in tables from the looks of it. I didn't like the Project or Rega's a ton.  The best was the top of the line Audio Note with the three motors and separate power supplies for each.  The only problem is that it was playing through their speakers which aren't revealing at all.  No bass either.  The other tables I spoke of were through new Proac 40R with the ribbons and boy it was the first ribbon I've heard that was sweet sounding.  Vinyl is just so much better than digital no matter how high rez they get.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #39 on: 27 Jul 2014, 05:25 am »
I've owned my Versalex for over 2 years now and haven't broke a single belt. Not sure why some of you have had problems in this regard....