96/24 files on a Radio Station Show!

Blu99Zoomer

96/24 files on a Radio Station Show!
« on: 27 Jul 2015, 10:56 pm »
Hey All,

I was just reading my Daily Audiophile helping and noticed that Analog Planet's Michael Fremer will be broadcasting a show from the radio station at Fairleigh Dickinson University. WFDU.FM.  His show will be about vinyl when it starts on August 3rd at noon.  But he intends to use 96/24 files eventually.

"This story is about the radio show. It will be a free-form music show, with all of the music sourced from vinyl, though it will be digitally recorded at home. At first it will be downconverter from 96/24 to CD just to make production easier but eventually the plan is to have 96/24 files played back via computer using a USB DAC into the station's board.
Read more at http://www.analogplanet.com/content/analogplanet-radio-starts-next-monday-august-3rd#zjKTKCTvADKXYJII.99"

One upsmanship for Tidal?  We WIN!!  Maybe I am misunderstanding.  But take a look and let me know if you agree.  Better yet, take a listen either live or on the archived site mentioned in the article.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

Phil A

Re: 96/24 files on a Radio Station Show!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2015, 12:23 pm »
It's good to hear that they are conscious about quality. Except for the car, I have not listened to FM in years. They just play the same songs and compress the heck out of the broadcast.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2015, 02:28 pm »
Hey Phil,
I picked up an inexpensive Sony AM/FM HD tuner a few years ago.  Unfortunately, its signal doesn't carry very far it seems.  So I don't use it in my car aftermarket HD tuner very much.  I guess that's where satellite came in.  But I am fortunate to have a few HD stations local enough that I can pick them up for listening at home when the mood strikes.  They seem to provide programming that has less advertising, a pleasing to me variety, and selection.

Best,

Blu99Zoomer

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2015, 03:13 pm »
I've had a tuner in recent times (Sansui TU-717) in regular and modded forms as well as HD Radio and there just wasn't enough good programming for me. I actually preferred listening to things like Linn Internet radio (they have 3 stations). With music servers with about 40,000 songs, many in hi-Rez, that's pretty much what I listen to at home.