2ft. From Rear Wall Too Close?

wushuliu

2ft. From Rear Wall Too Close?
« on: 14 Dec 2010, 08:58 pm »
I'm contemplating doing a little OB DIY w/ some full range drivers I have. Nothing fancy, just want to hear what the fuss is about. Only thing is I can't pull speakers out more than 2ft (baffle to wall) out. I know farther out is preferable. Is this a deal breaker?

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Re: 2ft. From Rear Wall Too Close?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2010, 09:03 pm »

Just use HEAVY dampening behind them.

And when you can, add a 1 in front of the 2 to make 12'. Then things really happen. Esp. if you can add some width.

Rocket_Ronny

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2010, 10:04 pm »
Just use HEAVY dampening behind them.

And when you can, add a 1 in front of the 2 to make 12'. Then things really happen. Esp. if you can add some width.

Rocket_Ronny

Thanks Ronny

nodiak

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2010, 10:54 pm »
I've had that situation. Had 12" in bass bin with Fostex 108ez's on top on ob panel. Rear wave was too strong so tried draping different thicknesses of material over the back pf ob. T-shirt, towel, blanket, etc. Also tried 2" rock wool panels, and 5" bass trap on wall. It can work ok but imo not as good as being 4' out from wall. There's more spaciousness, openness and clarity without damping behind.
Diffusion behind doesn't dull the sound like absorption. Worth trying that too.
But hope you try it anyway as you will get the idea and may like it. Especially if it's just a matter of cutting a hole in some plywood, and a cap bundle (50-100uF or so) on the fr. Maybe you can pull them out at some point to hear them that way too.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2010, 10:47 am »
I'd say it's pushing it but worth trying. You can always pull them out for a short period to see how different it is. I'd be more worried about which driver you are using there. What is it, and will you be using a "helper woofer"? Small full-rangers don't work well on OB without help on the bottom. (I say this from my first OB experience, which was a disaster and put me off for years!)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2010, 11:17 am »
Going from box to open baffle will provide improved dynamics, but cost bass and a diffused (non specific image/soundscape) "wall of sound" (that many mistake for bigger/better).  I get hung up on this point because it is the major point of stereo.

Two feet clearance behind isn't going to be ideal (the previous posters described it well).

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:58 pm »
I'd say it's pushing it but worth trying. You can always pull them out for a short period to see how different it is. I'd be more worried about which driver you are using there. What is it, and will you be using a "helper woofer"? Small full-rangers don't work well on OB without help on the bottom. (I say this from my first OB experience, which was a disaster and put me off for years!)

I'll be using the 3" Alpair 6 or CHR70 actively crossed over to a sealed 8" Dayton RS225. The FR will be put in a box for sure, but I figure why not play with an OB first and see what happens...

nodiak

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:29 pm »
That combo could work really well, depending on xo freq. and baffle size. Put some wheels  on 'em and roll 'em out into room when gf goes to the kitchen... :lol:

- "a diffused (non specific image/soundscape) "wall of sound" . This is more about the drivers/xo than being an OB limitation. Small fr's and midwoofers I've used image distinctly and have good 3d depth. Currently using 7" midwoofer and 1" tweeter that have equal instrument location and a bit better depth on ob baffle than in box. 4-5' out from wall behind them. With them the main benefit is that open spaciousness that is a more typical OB characterization.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:30 am »
I'll be using the 3" Alpair 6 or CHR70 actively crossed over to a sealed 8" Dayton RS225. The FR will be put in a box for sure, but I figure why not play with an OB first and see what happens...

Cool. Either of those should work fine. The low frequency response will probably be determined by your baffle size so I'd be inclined to use whichever one is most extended up top (the Alpair 6?).

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2010, 02:48 am »
I'm contemplating doing a little OB DIY w/ some full range drivers I have. Nothing fancy, just want to hear what the fuss is about. Only thing is I can't pull speakers out more than 2ft (baffle to wall) out. I know farther out is preferable. Is this a deal breaker?
Mr. Wush, it is mister I take it, I have two albums by the artist in your avatar.  I recommend one of them in particular every chance I get to enthusiasts of Indian classical music- Afternoon Ragas (Live in Rotterdam 1970).  If you listen carefully, you can tell the balance is a little warmer and fuller in the second set :thumb:.

The artist is Nikhil Banarjee for anyone who might be interested.

wushuliu

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2010, 04:52 am »
Mr. Wush, it is mister I take it, I have two albums by the artist in your avatar.  I recommend one of them in particular every chance I get to enthusiasts of Indian classical music- Afternoon Ragas (Live in Rotterdam 1970).  If you listen carefully, you can tell the balance is a little warmer and fuller in the second set :thumb:.

The artist is Nikhil Banarjee for anyone who might be interested.

Thanks Jim. I look forward to owning that album soon. Despite learning together, it seems Ravi found the heart of the music and Nikhil, the soul. I'm a nighttime/morning raag person myself (favorite time to listen is around midnight)...