Bryston Loudspeakers

adol290

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2400 on: 28 Mar 2016, 01:23 pm »
James,

Do you have any idea when the active crossover will be available for the Model T Signatures.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2401 on: 28 Mar 2016, 01:49 pm »
James,

Do you have any idea when the active crossover will be available for the Model T Signatures.

HI

We are working on the final circuits now - I hope to have a prototype in a month.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2402 on: 12 Apr 2016, 10:36 am »
Hi James,

A review of the Mini A, just posted in Malaysia…

http://av2day.com/2016/04/bryston-mini-a-loudspeakers/

Best regards,
Low

mr_bill

« Reply #2403 on: 12 Apr 2016, 03:09 pm »
James,
Could you comment on the difference in audible performance of the Model T vs the Model T Signature (w/outboard crossover)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2404 on: 12 Apr 2016, 03:24 pm »
James,
Could you comment on the difference in audible performance of the Model T vs the Model T Signature (w/outboard crossover)?

HI

They sound almost identical other than the Signature version can handle more power with less distortion but under normal listening levels generally would not be a problem for most listeners. 

The advantage of the Signature version besides power handling is any crossover upgrade in the future is easily accomplish due to the Signature having a separate External crossover.  Also if you decide to go with an 'Active' version of the speaker later you simply replace the Sig passive crossover with the Active crossover.

james

mr_bill

« Reply #2405 on: 12 Apr 2016, 04:21 pm »
Thanks James,

From my limited audio engineering knowledge (next to nothing) ........... the Model T Sig and the Standard should sound similar under normal playing conditions, but the addition of the new active digital crossover should make a meaningful audible difference.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2406 on: 12 Apr 2016, 04:27 pm »
Thanks James,

From my limited audio engineering knowledge (next to nothing) ........... the Model T Sig and the Standard should sound similar under normal playing conditions, but the addition of the new active digital crossover should make a meaningful audible difference.

Active has many advantages over passive systems.  I have my Model T's hooked up now at home with the active crossover and the control and resolution is another step forward in performance.

james

Marius

« Reply #2407 on: 13 Apr 2016, 06:05 am »
HI James,

really liking the way this is going, it is also the reason for my holding back, and deciding buying the model t's should wait till you completely finished designing the full system.
Still, couldn't be more interested in where this is going, please keep us fully informed.

May i ask: Since your setup is most flexible, and you try to cater for
upgrading parts in the future with the signature series( active vs passive, external crossover, digital crossover etc etc) wouldn't it be possible to make just one crossover, and supply a switch on it to select either active or passive? Of course i have no idea of the technical consequences/demands, but it would certainly make it easier for the customer to decide and buy. One wouldn't have to try to resell their passive crossover, (and experience a serious disinvestment)and only add amps if one later decides to go the active route.

Would you care to elaborate a bit on the possibilities of the digital crossover vs analog crossover? would we still need a 10bsub for use with an external sub, or do the new crossovers, analog and digital, have the same possibilities as the 10bsub?

Cheers,
Marius

Active has many advantages over passive systems.  I have my Model T's hooked up now at home with the active crossover and the control and resolution is another step forward in performance.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2408 on: 13 Apr 2016, 10:01 am »
HI James,

really liking the way this is going, it is also the reason for my holding back, and deciding buying the model t's should wait till you completely finished designing the full system.
Still, couldn't be more interested in where this is going, please keep us fully informed.

May i ask: Since your setup is most flexible, and you try to cater for
upgrading parts in the future with the signature series( active vs passive, external crossover, digital crossover etc etc) wouldn't it be possible to make just one crossover, and supply a switch on it to select either active or passive? Of course i have no idea of the technical consequences/demands, but it would certainly make it easier for the customer to decide and buy. One wouldn't have to try to resell their passive crossover, (and experience a serious disinvestment)and only add amps if one later decides to go the active route.

Would you care to elaborate a bit on the possibilities of the digital crossover vs analog crossover? would we still need a 10bsub for use with an external sub, or do the new crossovers, analog and digital, have the same possibilities as the 10bsub?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

I did look at some way of being able to implement an internal passive crossover that could be switched out but that was just too complicated and added a lot of extra expense for those that would have no desire to go to an Active setup. So the best option was the Signature version with the ability to upgrade later.

The digital crossover is really excellent - it allows me to really fine tune the frequency response and the sound power interdependently from one another whereas with a passive crossover you have to balance the two together  in one operation.  I have decided to go with the Digital crossover over the Analog in this case because it gives me much more control over every performance parameter of the speaker - frequency, sound power, phase, etc.

if you want to use a Sub with the Model T Active you would need some way of controlling that crossover point but most subs come with internal crossovers anyway so a 10B would not be needed.

james

Marius

« Reply #2409 on: 13 Apr 2016, 10:09 am »
Thanks James,
makes things a lot clearer.

I already use the 10bsub as you know. not so much as to control the crossoverpoint for the sub, but most importantly to set that point for my ESL's which can't be fed a lot of powerful (sub)bass, as Rel likes to call it.

Guess the Model T's wouldn't need that kind of treatment, given their ability to play full range on big Spl's :thumb:

looking forward to the unveiling of the BD-X then!

Cheers,

Marius

Hi Marius

I did look at some way of being able to implement an internal passive crossover that could be switched out but that was just too complicated and added a lot of extra expense for those that would have no desire to go to an Active setup. So the best option was the Signature version with the ability to upgrade later.

The digital crossover is really excellent - it allows me to really fine tune the frequency response and the sound power interdependently from one another whereas with a passive crossover you have to balance the two together  in one operation.  I have decided to go with the Digital crossover over the Analog in this case because it gives me much more control over every performance parameter of the speaker - frequency, sound power, phase, etc.

if you want to use a Sub with the Model T Active you would need some way of controlling that crossover point but most subs come with internal crossovers anyway so a 10B would not be needed.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2410 on: 13 Apr 2016, 10:10 am »
Thanks James,
makes things a lot clearer.

I already use the 10bsub as you know. not so much as to control the crossoverpoint for the sub, but most importantly to set that point for my ESL's which can't be fed a lot of powerful (sub)bass, as Rel likes to call it.

Guess the Model T's wouldn't need that kind of treatment, given their ability to play full range on big Spl's :thumb:

looking forward to the unveiling of the BDX then![size=78%]

[/size]Cheers,[size=78%]
[/size]Marius

Yes the Model T can do 25Hz so Subs typically are not required unless maybe in a theater setup as a point 1 channel.

james

The Rang

« Reply #2411 on: 16 Apr 2016, 10:54 pm »
Finally listened to Bryston speakers today, the Mini T.
I think I might have to buy me a set.
Like them better than the Audio Physic Classics 20s on heavy discount that I was seriously considering.
The Mini T sounds more cohesive, the mids are strangley disjointed on the AP and it really bugged me.
No such problem with the Bryston.
The Brystons aren't anywhere near as pretty but it's the sound that counts.
If I buy I'll get the MR50 (20") stands to go with them.
The stands are a great price, expected them to be much higher. Will probably get the custom top plates too, (even though they are a bit pricey).

One thing I'm not clear about, is Walnut considered a custom (ie extra cost) finish?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2412 on: 17 Apr 2016, 01:39 am »
Finally listened to Bryston speakers today, the Mini T.
I think I might have to buy me a set.
Like them better than the Audio Physic Classics 20s on heavy discount that I was seriously considering.
The Mini T sounds more cohesive, the mids are strangley disjointed on the AP and it really bugged me.
No such problem with the Bryston.
The Brystons aren't anywhere near as pretty but it's the sound that counts.
If I buy I'll get the MR50 (20") stands to go with them.
The stands are a great price, expected them to be much higher. Will probably get the custom top plates too, (even though they are a bit pricey).

One thing I'm not clear about, is Walnut considered a custom (ie extra cost) finish?

Hi Rang

Glad you liked the speaker - in my opinion it is an exceptional performer and is a kickback to the old days of a true 3-way monitor.

Walnut is 10% more.

james

PS - where did you hear the speaker?

The Rang

« Reply #2413 on: 17 Apr 2016, 02:47 am »
10% more for Walnut is worth it IMO, the dealer (HiFi Centre in Vancouver) seemed to think the walnut was "about $1000 more" but that didn't seem right, hence my question.
Maybe he was thinking of the Middle or Model T's.
The standard finishes (Cherry, Boston Cherry etc.) are still real wood, correct?

The speaker is a kickback in many ways, sometimes I think a simple 3 way allows you stay out of design trouble. I kind of like the old school looks, they look like working speakers, nothing with fancy curves and trendy colors. Nice

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2414 on: 17 Apr 2016, 10:14 am »
10% more for Walnut is worth it IMO, the dealer (HiFi Centre in Vancouver) seemed to think the walnut was "about $1000 more" but that didn't seem right, hence my question.
Maybe he was thinking of the Middle or Model T's.
The standard finishes (Cherry, Boston Cherry etc.) are still real wood, correct?

The speaker is a kickback in many ways, sometimes I think a simple 3 way allows you stay out of design trouble. I kind of like the old school looks, they look like working speakers, nothing with fancy curves and trendy colors. Nice

Hi Rang

Yes Walnut is 10% more on all models so maybe they were thinking of Rosewood?

Yes we have been accused of the 'old school look' but I like the fact that a speaker looks like a speaker and not a tuba.  :lol:  Also once you get to a specific performance point the rest is just jewelry (and that has its place) but I wanted the most performance bang for your buck in the Bryston speakers and not additional extraneous  costs that get added for cosmetic reasons.

james

« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2016, 05:16 pm by James Tanner »

The Rang

« Reply #2415 on: 17 Apr 2016, 05:06 pm »
"Audio jewelry"
Great term that perfectly descibes what I was getting at.
The "prettier" Audio Physics are painted Maranello Red and clad in glass.
Looks cool, but costs a lot extra and contributes zero to the sound.
(Still a very nice speaker mind you, not slagging them at all).
That's why I avoid amps with VU meters and various other features I'll never use.
Put the money where it counts  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2416 on: 18 Apr 2016, 11:48 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Model T Speaker – Dealer Feedback

Subject: Unboxed Bryston Model T Speakers

James,

“My customer dropped by and allowed us to unpack his new Bryston Model T speakers.

What a smile on his face when we hooked them up. He left with an unforgettable grin, excited to know they will sound even better when the 28B Cubes arrive. He left yesterday with the look that says he found what he is looking for (I feel proud that I really made a customer that happy). Having lived much of his music enjoying life listening to (EDIT) speakers, he now has the means to have audiophile sound and has discovered he can still have emotion fueling volume.

I do not recall having this much fun listening to a speaker since the (EDIT) over 20 years ago. WOW! WOW! WOW!  Incredible bass, open airy mids and highs and remaining uncongested into louder than usual volumes. It's delicate but powerful.

I am sitting typing this 60 feet away from the Model T's that are sitting in a different room and they continue to impress (no, amaze me) They take me to the concert like no other speaker I can remember.  Thank you for making me and my staff get excited about our music again. ALL the staff brought their favorite cd's to work this morning.

FOLLOW UP:

My God have you made a memorable product, at the end of the day yesterday after a long, stressful week we hung around the store for 2 hours listening to your Model T speakers. The interesting thing is that we can't quite put our finger on exactly why we absolutely love these speakers. It's the highs, they're extended but not screechy. No, it's the mids, vocals and instruments big and spacious, never sounding congested even when we're irresponsible with the volume. No, it's that insane bass, when have we heard the sound of amazing bass that would impress with speed metal and rap. We have zero hours in adjusting them yet and they sound incredible.

Good job sneaking up on us with your product, have a great rest of your weekend.”

Sincerely,
Brad Ferguson, Audio Concepts,
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2016, 02:58 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2418 on: 21 May 2016, 01:00 pm »
Hi Folks,

Middle T's on demo at our dealer in Calgary - check out their new store - I hear it is outstanding.

james

Absolute Audio Video Ltd.
6303 Bowness Rd. NW, Unit 100, Calgary, AB T3B 0E4
Ph: 403-202-7302 Email: info@absoluteaudio.ca
www.absoluteaudio.ca

1oldguy

« Reply #2419 on: 29 May 2016, 01:01 pm »
After living with the mini T's which are not so mini......and finding the right gear, all I can say is Bryston has done it yet again.
We love what we are hearing !
« Last Edit: 29 May 2016, 03:44 pm by 1oldguy »