A RMAF Sidetrip....to Dodies !!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
A RMAF Sidetrip....to Dodies !!
« on: 5 Nov 2006, 12:00 am »
On the Thursday before the RMAF show opened (10/19), I flew to Dallas ,Texas to pay a visit to Captain Humble/Jeff. He has always invited me down, but I never really had a chance to go....until now. 8)

Jeff is the owner of Dodie's Seafood Cafe II.......a cajun style seafood restaurant in Carrollton, TX , just outside Dallas.

Having spent about eight months in New Orleans back in the 70's, I grew very fond of cajun food....ate it every day I was there...and washed it down with Dixie beer....it was a good combo. Here in NY sadly, you won't find many cajun places.... :(

When I arrived, Jeff took me straight to Dodie's for lunch.
How'd it look inside ? Like I was on Bourbon Street ....had the exact same vibe.
The staff....very friendly....and very efficent....I was treated like I was home.....as were all the other customer's there. As a restaurantur, Jeff is an excellent host. Many of the customers greeted him upon his arrival....he is a very friendly guy.....and well liked.... :thumb:

The food....wow !! Jeff had asked what I wanted....I said ..."a little of everything"....and thats what I got. There's alot on the menu.......and I tried most of it.... :hyper:

A few highlights....everything I tasted....tasted good.

Seafood Gumbo....perfect. Nicely spiced....and a little kick to it. Wish I had some now.....as well as the Chicken and Sausage Gumbo and the Crab Bisque.

Dodies Slaw....not your typical slaw....way better. The Cajun Fries, the Red Beans and Rice.....hit the spot. As did the Shrimp Remoulade.

He's got a special dish to start...ofcourse I forgot the name :?....but its oyster's on the half shell, broiled with garlic and a sauce....out of this world. Reminded me of escargot (which I love)....except done with oysters.

Fried....its not a dirty word here. Not heavy at all....light....and very good. I had fried oysters, fried shrimp, fried crawfish, fried alligator.....and fried catfish.
And these were also sampled grilled and blackened..... 8)
The only miss in the bunch....blackened/grill alligator....it was better fried.

I washed all this down with Turbodog beer.......made by Abita Brewing Company. He's got a nice selection of beer....wine.....and the hard stuff.....and a very nice bar. :beer:

This was repeated at dinner.....I had to go again....it was that good !!!! :dance:
Matter of fact....even took a few fried catfish back to his place to have for breakfast the next day..... :lol:

All in all......I had a great time, and an excellent dining experience. You guys in Dallas are lucky....you can go whenever you want....its right there. Wish I could.
And if you traveling to Dallas....make it a point to visit Dodie's, say hi to Jeff, and have a great meal.......because....."You don't hafta go to New Orleans".... :thumb:

Thank you Jeff....and Mich (his wife).....for your hospitality !!! I had an excellent time, and hope to visit again in the future..... :thumb:

Chris

« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2006, 12:38 am by lonewolfny42 »

byteme

Re: A RMAF Sidetrip....to Dodies !!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2006, 12:05 am »
Chris,

I can 2nd your comments.  I've been to Dallas twice over the last 2 years or so on business.  The first time down Jeff invited me over to hear his Lorelie's as I was considering purchase of a pair.  I stayed WAY to late because the sound was fantastic, but we got a late start because the food at Dodie's was so good. 

The oysters you're thinking of are the Oysters Dodie.  As you said, the fried stuff is fantastic, not heavy or greasy.  Everything else was spot on too.  With all the restaurants in Dallas (and there must be almost 1 per person down there - I don't know how they all stay in business) this would be my first stop every time.

Great host, great staff, great food, cold Miller.  What more can you ask for?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2006, 12:09 am »
Somehow I knew you would mention Miller Brian..... :lol:
The food is soooooooooo gooooooood......it just sticks in your head.....I'm REALLY HUNGRY NOW !!!!! :?

byteme

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2006, 12:22 am »
I have to!  It pays for the audio habit!!  :lol:  aa

I'm enjoying a delicious Leinenkugel's Octoberfest as I type.  Yum, yum, yummy!!  :beer:

I've also got a case of Tyskie in the fridge downstairs too.  Next to Leinie's Octoberfest it's my favorite beer that we have.  It's available in Chicago and New York so you should be able to find some.  When I go to the pub at work it's all I have - unless they have Octoberfest on tap! :beer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyskie

http://www.pierheadwines.co.uk/web/home/?te=product&pt=190

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2006, 12:26 am »
Thanks for the heads up Brian.....I'll have to check it out..... :beer:

Chris

Captain Humble

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2006, 01:37 pm »
Thank you Jeff....and Mich (his wife).....for your hospitality !!! I had an excellent time, and hope to visit again in the future.....

Chris
Chris and Brian,
Thanks for the kind words.

Chris it was our pleasure having you as a house guest and we look forward to your next visit.
You were quite the hit with Michelle.  She commented on how nice you are and that you're a gentle spirit.
The flowers were a very nice touch.

Something I've noticed after hanging out with you for two RMAFests is the number of people that walk up and thank you for something you've done to help them in this hobby.  I share their sentiments and truly appreciate your friendship.

The "RULER" with my Usher CP-6391's  :thumb:

Thanks again,
Jeff