Eastern Electric DAC

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Eastern Electric DAC
« on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:13 am »
Hello All,

Looking for a DAC that incorporates the new ESS Technologies Sabre 32bit ES9018 DAC chip. We are making them. Volume/gain control, RCA outputs, Inputs we will have : RCA, optical, AES/EBU and USB 2.0 or up.
 I'm taking orders. $645 plus shipping from 60004 once they arrive in the states, probably $25 to ship.50% down,remaining balance due at time of shipping

$745 once they arrive in states if not pre ordered

email: bill@morningstaraudio.com
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2009, 01:58 am by Bill O'Connell »

Jon L

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:28 am »
That's exciting news and should be a nice alternative to Twisted Pear Audio Sabre offerings. 

For me personally, the deal will be sealed *IF* the output stage is not the ubiquitous op-amp circuit but a true discrete stage.  Or, a real tube stage, not just a tube buffer stuck at the end of an op-amp output stage..

srb

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:53 am »
I'm taking orders. $600 plus shipping from 60004 once they arrive in the states

And when approximately will that be?

Any other details beyond which DAC chip?  Any photos?

Steve

EDS_

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2009, 03:24 am »
Color me very interested.  Pics, ETA, and a few more details when possible. 

Tbadder1

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2009, 03:50 am »
I feel the same way as Jon L, and would willingly order if the op-amp circuit is skipped in lieu of a genuine tube stage.

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2009, 04:10 am »
Very interesting. Also curious about tube option and what the non-tube output stage consists of. Mmmm.

bigjppop

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2009, 12:30 pm »
Another one here that would love to see a tubed version.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2009, 01:55 am »
Well, after talking to Alex Yeung yesterday we have decided to change a few things.
 Don't worry, were still using the ESS Sabre ES9018 32 bit DAC chip.
What the dac will not have though is XLR output as we were going to have it but after reading comments that unless it was true balanced (ie.. no op-amps) which would have raised the price about 35%-40% to do it correctly we decided to eliminate the XLR's.
 What it will have though is a tube amp stage-not just a tube thrown on the end as a buffer. We will also implement a switch for bypassing the tube output so the signal will be untouched.This should give you the best of both worlds, if wanting a touch of warmth for vocals,jazz,acoustic,or late night listening hit the tube , for clarity,speed,stark reality bypass the tube.
 It will have a volume control also.
USB,optical,AES/EBU,and RCA inputs.
 Now the bad news,the tube output will cost $45 more to implement so I have to pass it on to you.
 Preorder price is now $645.00
 When they arrive in the states $745.00
 I apologize for the added expense.
 It will take 2 months to build all of them and another month to ship them here by boat and clear customs.
 If you would like it sooner and want to pay to have it air shipped to you we can also provide that service.

Thank you for considering,
 Bill O'Connell
email:bill@morningstaraudio.com

srb

« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2009, 02:12 am »
Bill,

1.  Any word on whether the USB input will decode 24/96?

2.  If it does have op-amps, will they be socketed?

Thanks,

Steve

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2009, 02:16 am »
Very exciting news.

With the new tubed design, when the tubes are not engaged, will there be op-amps in the output stage?

Looking forward to more details. Counting my pennies and scouring the rig & closets for potential things to sell...

srb

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2009, 02:21 am »
I don't think I've seen the EE products in black.

Can I have mine in black?

Steve

Jon L

« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2009, 04:07 am »

With the new tubed design, when the tubes are not engaged, will there be op-amps in the output stage?

That's THE question for me as well.  If the tube output stage (not just buffer) can be "bypassed," something else has to be acting as the output stage.  Is it going to be op-amps (in I/V stage as well?) or discrete stage (mosfet, etc)..

sac8d4

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2009, 04:10 am »
I don't think I've seen the EE products in black.

Can I have mine in black?

Steve

Consider my interest peaked....

I have seen the minimax cd player offered in Black but not sure about the rest of the EE line. I third the notion of offering it in black.

bravophase

« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2009, 06:46 am »
Hi everybody, this is Alex from Eastern Electric Audio. I see I like join the great talk about our up coming DAC. Ok here let me try....
- I am making it black in color :P
- the tube output is a genuine tube amplification stage, not buffer
- there will also be an opamp output for your choice by tap of a switch in the front penal. Well I intend to have a socket of the output opamp if you want to play with it.

Cheers.

Alex

Jon L

« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2009, 07:10 am »
Hi everybody, this is Alex from Eastern Electric Audio. I see I like join the great talk about our up coming DAC. Ok here let me try....
- I am making it black in color :P
- the tube output is a genuine tube amplification stage, not buffer
- there will also be an opamp output for your choice by tap of a switch in the front penal. Well I intend to have a socket of the output opamp if you want to play with it.

Cheers.

Alex

Welcome to AudioCircle, Alex.  Have you guys considered a simple discrete SS output stage, perhaps using a pair of Mosfets. 

Frankly, many of us don't want or need that switch for the op-amp output.  Having a switch to toggle between tube output and real discrete SS output would be *INCREDIBLE* and essentially the first in the industry :drool:

However, since cost is an issue, how about offering 2 versions of the DAC, one with the tube output and another with discrete SS output? 

bravophase

« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2009, 07:28 am »
Ho Jon,

From my experience, a simple discrete like a pair of FET or bipolar can hardly sound very good. The opamp is not an expensive device but it can sound quite decent if you use it right. For example the early BBC studio turntable used build in opamp based phono stage, it still sounds increbily well, we do have an unit demotrating in our Hong Kong show room. Tube is one very "discrete" circuit by the way  :icon_lol:

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2009, 12:55 pm »
I like the idea of an op-amp socket, there are some folks who get very interested in op-amp swapping (on the Beresford DACs for example), which is easy as can be when sockets are employed.

nature boy

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2009, 08:13 pm »
Bill and Alex,

Great news. 

Regards,

NB

mca

« Reply #18 on: 26 Oct 2009, 08:26 pm »
However, since cost is an issue, how about offering 2 versions of the DAC, one with the tube output and another with discrete SS output?

I'd rather be able to switch between tube and SS output for a measly $45 extra  :P

Jon L

« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2009, 09:31 pm »

I'd rather be able to switch between tube and SS output for a measly $45 extra  :P

Me, too.  But what I really prefer is op-ampless discrete SS output, e.g. Northstar DAC, Ayre DAC, Twisted Pear Audio "Counterpoint" discrete output, etc. 

Oh, well, I guess I can deal with socketed op-amps.  Time to brush off my OPA627's and perhaps buy some Burson/Audio-GD "discrete op-amps"  :)