What are you using for a DAC?

JGlacken

What are you using for a DAC?
« on: 14 Jul 2012, 06:10 pm »
Just curious about DAC usage with V speakers.  Likes and dislikes.  Volume control or pre amp.  How much to spend before diminishing returns set in.

Delacroix

Re: What are you using for a DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2012, 07:27 pm »
For last 18 months I've used a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC which I upgraded earlier this year to Mk 2 status. This provides the best digital I've had in my home. I've not installed the bridge yet or spent a lot of time feeding it's USB input, relying solely for now on the matching Perfect Wave Transport. This can feed my amps directly but I do use a SMcAudio VRE-1 preamp for volume control and source switching with my vinyl rig.

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2012, 09:17 pm »
I have a Benchmark DAC USB1 for the main system.

I am thinking about getting another one for my second system. Looking at a number of DACs. In the list is the Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC and the Schiit Bitfrost.

BTW I like the Benchmark alot, and it's very flexible. But I am think I might be able to get something as good, now that it is older, for 1/2 the cost.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2012, 10:11 pm »
HRT MSii+ excellent usb dac.
ODAC..$99.miracle.
Alex

fplanner2000

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2012, 11:36 pm »
Using the monster tubed-DAC built into my APL NWO-4.0M with a VAC preamp for volume and source switching..

Gopher

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2012, 11:54 pm »
The Metrum Octave and LampizatOr level 3 are the two dacs I used with vr33s.  Both nice but I have a preference for the cheaper Metrum.

JackD201

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2012, 02:07 am »
I use a Tentation for redbook and an Accuphase DP-78 for SACD. For server use, I go PureMusic, Halide USB to SPDIF Bridge into the DP-78's coaxial digital input.

Right now I am using a Valvet Soulshine preamp with Telefunken 802s and JJ ecc99 tubes. This alternates with a Lamm L2 Reference.

Gopher

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2012, 03:58 am »
Jack,

That Valvet had caught my attention a bit ago, but I haven't managed to hear it year.  How is it to live with? 

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2012, 02:19 pm »
I find a preamp makes a big difference in all the systems I have put together. And IME volume control on a DAC doesn't give the same sort of dynamics, ooh and impact as an active pre (I have found these things lacking on passive preamps as well).

I run a dB Audio Tranquility with my VR-4 Gen IIs, but I wasn't making my DAC choices with these speakers.

As with most things, I recommend auditioning if at all possible. Narrow down your choices on forums like this one an then try to take a listen (in your system if at all possible). At the under $2000 price points that I know best, here are DACs I would try to listen to:
Antelope Zodiac
wyred4sound DAC2 or DAC1
Eastern Electric DAC
dB Audio Tranquility

I have heard all of them and they all sounded great. Just different flavors (which reviews of them capture nicely). If I were going to change up DACs personally. I would probably try the Zodiac first.

Also, I would agree that the Benchmark is getting a little long in the tooth. IMO, DACs are the segment of the audio market changing the quickest. You often read about newer DACs offering quality digital sound not possible at such low price points 5 years earlier.

Lastly, don't just get enamored with DAC chips alone. Power supplies an analog output stages matter a lot still (as with most audio electronics).

JGlacken

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2012, 03:31 pm »
I have been using a Meridian pre/pro for quite a while.

I have just finished putting together a Twisted Pear Buffalo 3 DIY.  It sounds great, although I need
to get rid of a ground loop buzz/hum.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

JackD201

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:55 pm »
Jack,

That Valvet had caught my attention a bit ago, but I haven't managed to hear it year.  How is it to live with?

Sounds really good. Nice simple circuit that takes on the character of any tubes used in the first stage and a robust power supply that's got so much storage it's like its battery powered. I like it a lot.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2012, 01:29 pm »
NAS drive/Naim UnitiServe music server--coax input to MCD500 DACs  :thumb:

scb

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2012, 04:15 pm »
classe ssp-800