Magnestands?

Rclark

Magnestands?
« on: 7 Jul 2011, 03:57 am »

All the stuff I've read on these, from the individual posts to the site itself is quite compelling. Not a whole lot on this site, however.

What do you guys think? I'm very interested in getting some MMG's and having this guy do his stuff on them.

andyr

Re: Magnestands?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2011, 09:54 am »

All the stuff I've read on these, from the individual posts to the site itself is quite compelling. Not a whole lot on this site, however.

What do you guys think? I'm very interested in getting some MMG's and having this guy do his stuff on them.

If you read PG's Magnestand site carefully, you'll realise that he gives Maggies a complete "makeover".  IE. (and the name is a bit of a misnomer) it's not just a "stand", it's throwing away everything except for the mylar driver assembly.  So he builds:
* new frames out of hardwood (of your choice) - instead of MDF.
* a new, external XO in a beautiful box.
* braced stands.

I got hardwood frames made up my for my big Maggies on the basis of reading about what PG had done to the smaller Maggies.  But I'm not interested in his (passive series) XO as my Maggies are 3-way active.  :)

Regards,

Andy

Berndt

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2011, 11:00 pm »
I purchased the first set from John and I really loved them.
Now that I have a burly amp I am shopping for another set of panels for John to magnestand. I'll probably do 1.2s or 1.6s. John is awesome to deal with and his evolution of the panel brings the magnepan into another realm. The magnepan strengths are emphasized and its weaknesses are mitigated. I know I sound like a magnestand fanboy, but I am. :D

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2011, 08:55 am »
Does the sweet spot open up quite a bit?

Can you please describe the sound of Magnestand verusus Maggie in terms of sweetspot? I'm trying to wrap my head around it, I'm a lifelong box speaker guy.

I'm already on the hunt for a pair of MMG's.

josh358

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2011, 02:55 pm »
Have you checked Audiogon? MMG's are often up there, for about $400 per pair. (They're only $600 from Magnepan.)

I don't think I'd describe the MMG as having a wide sweet spot, by the way. They aren't super beamy but neither do they have the dispersion of Magnepan's true ribbons or the new 1.7, with its narrow supertweeter.

Another thing you should know about planars is that they're dipole radiators, they radiate sound mostly towards the front and the back. This is great if you're sitting in front of them on a couch doing serious listening, and OK for casual walking around the room background listening. But the sound level does fall off as you get off axis. This reduces room interactions and lets you play music louder without disturbing the neighbors or your wife, but it also means they aren't good party speakers, since you don't get the same loud sound in every part of the room. I don't think there's any right or wrong here, it's more a matter of what fits your listening habits.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2011, 05:58 pm »
 stock mmg.

Berndt

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2011, 01:42 am »
Stock my smgas had a sweet spot that was quite narrow, and required looking straight ahead to maintain cohesiveness.
Post magnestand this rigidity in maintaining image was gone.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2011, 02:17 am »
well, I've placed myself in his que (although he is full and I get in if anyone opts out). I am on the hunt for some MMG's. If I can't find a great deal, I'll buy new.

Berndt

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2011, 03:41 am »
I'm in his que for 1.6's.
Try watching Craigslist.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:16 am »
I keep reading about how sensitive Maggies are to rooms. Do you think I'll be okay?

It's just a 16*12 bedroom and I'll be able to get them the three feet out, that's where I have my monitors now. There will be a low bed at the foot of one of them, and there is a large desk in the room (which I may remove). Other than that, just a plain 16*12 with a door and a window.

Berndt

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2011, 02:57 pm »
The space behind in my experience is the tough thing. They really do have to be out in the room, distance from the rear wall will allow you to get the bass phase tuned in. I'm sure John, pg, can illuminate.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2011, 03:18 pm »
  Maggies perfer a rectangular room best. However they can be well set up in most rooms. If the side walls are more than say 4 feet away put the tweeters on the outside. If say 3 feet or less then on the inside. A minimum of 5 feet apart from wood trim to wood trim is desired. One set up move your listening chair back and forth to find YOUR sweet spot.
  Have fun people.

charles
SMA

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2011, 05:45 pm »
Well, when I get the stock mmgs I'll have plenty of time to agonize over them :D.

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2011, 06:32 pm »
I made the que for late November  :D . Time to start saving up, I'll opt for the new super crossover.

Davey

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:09 pm »
Late November?  Why would you want to wait that long?

What he does is simple woodworking and simple crossover fabrication.  If you're not handy with the woodworking tools yourself I'm sure you have a friend that might be.  Save yourself a bunch of time and money and do the project yourself.

Cheers,

Dave.

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jul 2011, 09:13 pm »
I want to wait that long because I told him to put me at the end of the line if I get in.

And, hahahaha, I don't know anyone locally who wouldn't charge me an astronomical sum to come up with what he makes. That work he does down to the crossover boxes is stunning. And I am not a woodworker.

Nope, I'm sold, he doesn't charge that much at all in my book, it's almost too good to be true, actually. Nope, I'm getting mine Gunn'd.

Davey

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jul 2011, 01:02 am »
I guess it depends upon how a person prioritizes aesthetics and performance.  My basic point is (since I guess I didn't make it clearly) is that "performance"-wise, you can create what he's done easily with MUCH less money, IF you go the DIY route.

And of course, you can go well beyond the performance of the Magnestand systems with other means......should you so choose.  But, that's another topic.

Cheers,

Dave.

Rclark

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jul 2011, 04:53 am »
Well beyond? Do tell :)

Davey

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jul 2011, 01:10 pm »
Bi-amped (or tri-amped) mated with dipole woofers......improved passive mid/tweet crossover if bi-amped.......improved version of the framing scheme......etc, etc.

Other folks are doing interesting work with damping of the transducer frames.  I haven't tried that myself....yet.

Cheers,

Dave.

My current MMG setup looks like this:

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jul 2011, 08:59 pm »
I figured you'd mention multiple amps. I'm still not sold on active. And lot more money and worry than I want to deal with.

You say "well beyond". Have you compared yours to a Magnestand?

Looks nice! My plan is now to mate with ob subs as well.