Spatial M3 compared to Magnepan

jaylevine

Spatial M3 compared to Magnepan
« on: 3 Jan 2017, 04:07 pm »
Hi,

I'm really interested in trying out the Spatial M3 Turbo S sometime, but before I do wanted to get feedback using something I am familiar with (Magnepan). I've owned both Magnepan 1.7 and 3.7s driving by Bryston gear and generally speaking loved the sound. However we downsized several years ago to a smallish inner city town home, and as a result had to sell off the Maggie gear (and subs) since we don't have a room large enough to suite them. For reference my current 'listening' room an smallish upstairs office, maybe 10x12. Present kit a pair of Legacy Studio HD monitors driven by a D-Sonic amp for near-field listening only.

Questions:

1. Do the M3s also require a lot of distance from the back wall to sound 'right'? Even 3 feet off the back wall will be a problem for me with one speaker only a foot or two off a side wall (corner).
2. Is 7 feet to the listening position too close?
3. Do the M3s have similar/better/not-as-good low-level detail and nuance as the Maggies w/respect to the mid- and high-freq (I listen to a lot of classical piano, acoustic jazz trio, guitar solo, ect...)

Thanks in advance--really interested in hearing people's views on this.

mick wolfe

Re: Spatial M3 compared to Magnepan
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2017, 05:00 pm »
IMHO, that's too small a space(10x12) for the M3. Even the M4 would be a push, but doable....possibly. I've said this too many times before, but in my similar small room,( 10x11) I've had far greater success with "omni" type designs. Designs from Ohm and Omega have produced excellent results and I'm sure a Decware omni design would work well too. FWIW, I tried my Spatial M2 Turbo's is this small room and although certainly listenable, not ideal. To get the full open,airy OB effect, they need more breathing room than this space would allow. YMMV of course.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2017, 05:08 pm »
A few months ago, I was able to take home a pair of M3's and compare them directly to my Magnepan 1.6's.    My room is 17x17.  I had them pulled out 3' from the wall and they sounded very good. They were about 8 to 9' apart.   I tried them at 4' and there really was no difference.  At 2' I lost a bit of bass.  You may get more bass in your room as they would be closer to the side wall.

To be truthful, they are a very nice sounding speaker and did nothing wrong, but the Magnepans sound better in almost every way except for imaging.  The M3's also had a bit more transparency.  The Maggies have more detail, larger sound stage, better dynamics and are more musical.  The M3's were more laid back and were missing something from the midrange in comparison.  Vocals and Piano sounded great on the M3's though.  I was powering them with a Pass X250 amp at 500wpc, a BAT VK51se tube preamp and a Luxman DA-06 DAC using Bug Head music player.

The M3's that I had were not the turbo model and they had the older crossover.  The newer crossover is supposed to significantly improve the midrange per Clayton the designer of Spatial Audio.  I was considering buying a pair until I did the comparison.  I wish I could have heard the Turbo model though as I might have purchased a pair.

By the way, they take up as  much space as my Maggies.   If you like the Maggie sound, consider the MMG's or 0.7's and a small sub like a def-tech, Velodyne mini-vee, sunfire or Martin Logan Dynamo 700.  Or a wireless sub which can be placed anywhere in the room.

schw06

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2017, 07:32 pm »
Jay,
   I think you are going to find people that prefer the M3's and people that prefer the Magnepans. Since you are familiar with the Maggie sound, you have nothing to lose by grabbing a pair of Spatial's and trying them. Your room, setup skills, associated equipment, and personal preferences can not be matched by any other person on this forum and you will not get a sufficient answer from anyone that will remove all doubt. If you don't like them you send them back for a full refund. Forget all the hand wringing and forum reading and you will never have to wonder if you made the right decision. Your ears will tell you which you prefer.
David
P.S.- former Magnepan 3.7, 1.6. MG12 owner...current M3 turbo S owner

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2017, 08:34 pm »
Jay,
   I think you are going to find people that prefer the M3's and people that prefer the Magnepans. Since you are familiar with the Maggie sound, you have nothing to lose by grabbing a pair of Spatial's and trying them. Your room, setup skills, associated equipment, and personal preferences can not be matched by any other person on this forum and you will not get a sufficient answer from anyone that will remove all doubt. If you don't like them you send them back for a full refund. Forget all the hand wringing and forum reading and you will never have to wonder if you made the right decision. Your ears will tell you which you prefer.
David
P.S.- former Magnepan 3.7, 1.6. MG12 owner...current M3 turbo S owner

Well said David!

George

jaylevine

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2017, 10:59 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their input--all valuable and thoughtful.

I must say if I had the proper size room, I'd have stuck with the 3.7s. I have looked into the .7s with a DWM and haven't ruled it out. However even a .7 Maggie might be tight in my space.

Much to think about--thanks to all for their comments. Will update the post if I decide to pull the trigger on an evaluation pair.

Jay

restrav

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2017, 02:10 am »
in a tight space a good standmount likean omega + subwoofer is the answer

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2017, 03:20 am »
As a current M3 owner and former 1.7 owner, for me the ability to use my low power tube amps proved the decider.  Love my tubes.  Have several amps that put out 4, 7 and 15 watts and they all work with the M3s.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2017, 05:03 am »
As a current M3 owner and former 1.7 owner, for me the ability to use my low power tube amps proved the decider.  Love my tubes.  Have several amps that put out 4, 7 and 15 watts and they all work with the M3s.

I bet that they sound great with the low power tube amps.  But when I had the M3's they liked the power of my Pass amp.  They really came alive when turned up with dynamic music and soaked up the power.

I really liked the M3's but the 1.6's hit harder and were more musical.  I was really hoping that I would prefer them to the Maggies. I am a Magnepan guy but I do like box speakers as well and would gladly trade my Maggies for a pair of PSB Synchony's or Harbeths.