trio15 kit

PDR

• May the best man win
Re: trio15 kit
« Reply #20 on: 7 Oct 2016, 04:13 pm »
VERY nice.... :thumb:

<----I use diffusion on the front wall with my OBs as well.

Can you tell us the material and the finish on the baffles....thks

Ric Schultz

« Reply #21 on: 7 Oct 2016, 09:42 pm »
In exactly what ways is the custom xover superior to the stock xover?  Thanks.

Chris Adams

« Reply #22 on: 7 Oct 2016, 11:21 pm »
Hi Ric,

Better clarity, space, tone, air, image, detail retrieval, bass is a bit fuller and tighter, maybe deeper but that may be the woofs breaking in even thought I put 200+ hours on them before the crossover swap. Didn't change the speakers, just brought out what they do better.

OzarkTom

« Reply #23 on: 8 Oct 2016, 04:19 am »
PureAudioProject is showing at RMAF this weekend with Wyred  4 Sound.

These are the speakers in the room, or so I have read.

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/stellar12-open-baffle-speakers/

beowulf

« Reply #24 on: 8 Oct 2016, 06:52 am »

+1 ~

1. What is the veneer/finish on the baffles?

2. Was the stock crossover that you replaced (with your custom made ones) the Leonidas?

Thanks, this is the OB that I would go for as well, happy listening!

Chris Adams

« Reply #25 on: 8 Oct 2016, 05:50 pm »

<----I use diffusion on the front wall with my OBs as well.

The baffles are spray painted Styrofoam.

Chris Adams

« Reply #26 on: 8 Oct 2016, 05:51 pm »
+1 ~

1. What is the veneer/finish on the baffles?

2. Was the stock crossover that you replaced (with your custom made ones) the Leonidas?

Thanks, this is the OB that I would go for as well, happy listening!

Yes, stock crossover is the Leonidas.

beowulf

« Reply #27 on: 11 Oct 2016, 05:59 am »
Yes, stock crossover is the Leonidas.

Chris, would you mind sharing your parts list/specifications for your custom crossovers?

Big THANKS!

Chris Adams

« Reply #28 on: 11 Oct 2016, 01:42 pm »
Chris, would you mind sharing your parts list/specifications for your custom crossovers?

Big THANKS!

The baffles are bamboo and the finish is called marbled bamboo.
The crossover parts are:
4 pcs of Jupiter 15uF HT Flat Stack and 1 pc Jupiter 8uF HT Flat Stack to = 68uF.
1 pc Jantzen 6.8mH wax coil.
1 pc Jantzen .20mH wax coil. Optional: 1 pc .25mH Jantzen wax coil and 1 pc .27mH Jantzen was coil. You can use any value    from .27mH to .18mH to suite your taste. Also, rather then buying all those coils you can use a .27mH and gradually unwind it one meter at a time until you get it perfect for you. The higher the value of this coil, the more you will roll off the high end.
1 pc Duelund 10R Cast resistor.
1 pc Duelund 8R2 Cast resistor. You can vary this resistor to balance the full range driver output to the woofers output.  Increasing it will lower output, deceasing it will raise the output.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #29 on: 12 Oct 2016, 09:56 pm »
Great Job modding!  From the pic it looks like you are going into the inside of the coils and coming out the outside?  Does sound best this way.  Are those 12 gauge coils? I would bypass the big stack of caps with a small value silver Dueland, modified Wima or whatever.  Big caps tend to be slow (inductive).  If you bypass the Dueland resistors with a much higher value nude Vishay you may get more transparency.  The large value of the Vishay will not change the basic value much.  One thing that is so cool about open baffle speaker is that it is relatively easy to upgrade xover parts and wiring without tearing into the cabinet.  You might try a piece of cardboard underneath each xover component......works good for me.

Chris Adams

« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2016, 10:52 pm »
Thank you and thanks for the info Ric! :D

They are 12 gauge and I am going into the center and out the outside, did my homework. I will consider bypassing the big stack, if a modified Wima is as good as the Duelund, I'll be in touch because the price of the Duelund is ouch.

I'm using an 18ohm and a 16ohm resistor in parallel for 8.47ohms. I have some higher value TX2575 but they are only 1/4 watt. I will try the cardboard.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #31 on: 13 Oct 2016, 12:44 am »
If you use a 100 ohm nude Vishay then it can be quarter watt.   It is only taking one 12th of the power.  Your speakers are efficient.....not much power going into them and you only use higher power on peaks of music.   Most of the time I have used one watt resistors on tweeters with no problem.  Bigger resistors sound worse.  If you need more power then parallel smaller ones.  If you try a Vishay bypass then make sure it is damped and not dangling on its solid core leads.  Sounds terrible that way.  Put some cotton sleeving on the leads and attach the resistor via its edges to the bigger resistor using a tiny amount of amazing goop or similar.

beowulf

« Reply #32 on: 14 Oct 2016, 03:51 am »
The baffles are bamboo and the finish is called marbled bamboo.
The crossover parts are:
4 pcs of Jupiter 15uF HT Flat Stack and 1 pc Jupiter 8uF HT Flat Stack to = 68uF.
1 pc Jantzen 6.8mH wax coil.
1 pc Jantzen .20mH wax coil. Optional: 1 pc .25mH Jantzen wax coil and 1 pc .27mH Jantzen was coil. You can use any value    from .27mH to .18mH to suite your taste. Also, rather then buying all those coils you can use a .27mH and gradually unwind it one meter at a time until you get it perfect for you. The higher the value of this coil, the more you will roll off the high end.
1 pc Duelund 10R Cast resistor.
1 pc Duelund 8R2 Cast resistor. You can vary this resistor to balance the full range driver output to the woofers output.  Increasing it will lower output, deceasing it will raise the output.

Thanks Chris, appreciate your input and I have taken notes.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2016, 06:34 am by beowulf »