Lets see your O.B. speakers....!

matevana

Re: Lets see your O.B. speakers....!
« Reply #240 on: 12 Dec 2016, 03:15 pm »
Jordan Eikona 2 plus slot loaded bass driver in compact 20" baffle. Purpose built all passive crossover with low frequency equalization, BSC, and notch filter on the low frequency driver only.

« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2016, 11:57 am by matevana »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #241 on: 13 Dec 2016, 10:47 am »
Ouch equalization, BSC, and notch filter all in one speaker is too much for me.

matevana

« Reply #242 on: 13 Dec 2016, 10:59 am »
On the helper woofer only. The full range driver has no crossover.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #243 on: 13 Dec 2016, 11:02 am »
There is any advantage on the usual Alpha or Beta?

matevana

« Reply #244 on: 13 Dec 2016, 11:56 am »
By slot loading the woofer, the front & rear waves become less symmetrical as frequencies rise. This affects cancellation and, at least in my design, is an integral part of the woofer's crossover. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #245 on: 13 Dec 2016, 12:07 pm »
Looks interesting, I remembered Karlsonator.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #246 on: 13 Dec 2016, 02:20 pm »
I know you guys are anti-crossover for your full range drivers, but I have yet to measure one that didn't need a corrective circuit for either baffle step loss, a rising response, or notching out peaks up top. And those problems typically present a far worse response and listening experience any any effects that the filters may have, especially when using high quality parts.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #247 on: 13 Dec 2016, 06:31 pm »
I know you guys are anti-crossover for your full range drivers, but I have yet to measure one that didn't need a corrective circuit for either baffle step loss, a rising response, or notching out peaks up top. And those problems typically present a far worse response and listening experience any any effects that the filters may have, especially when using high quality parts.

+1  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #248 on: 13 Dec 2016, 06:45 pm »
Can I play too?  Here's my OB Serenity Acoustics Super 7's using planar magnetic mids and tweeters with dual GR Research OB Servo subs as the bass section.  Best I've heard outside of OB line array speakers:

Ric Schultz

« Reply #249 on: 14 Dec 2016, 04:59 am »
Tyson,
I assume all pics are before changing all the xover parts and wiring.  Please share pic of "after".

You really need to get the 12 gauge Jantzen wax foil coil for the midrange....much better than 14 gauge.

Try turning around the rear facing woof so they are both facing forward.  The guy with three woofs said just changing the one out of three was noticeably better....one out of two would make more difference.

Try some small felt pieces right overlapping the tweeters hard outside edges if you listen with grill off.

Clarity cap CMR time?

gils

« Reply #250 on: 15 Jan 2017, 02:26 pm »
:)

hello,

My new system  BR/openbaffle U-Frame

no spam :)

http://www.partage-fichiers.com/upload/49wgnapn

:thumb:

Poultrygeist

« Reply #251 on: 11 Mar 2017, 03:36 pm »
My H-frames now feature some real sleepers, the 12" Zenith 49CZ802 alnico drivers pulled from an old tube console circa 1958. Driven straight from a 2a3 SET amp there's nothing in the signal path other than a single cap on the Japanese 40-1310A Realistic tweeters ( a very different animal from the Radio Shack versions from Korea and China ).

Thankfully I happened upon the "Glow in the Dark" blog otherwise the Zeniths would still be collecting dust in my garage.

These big wide band drivers are beyond amazing and bring more enjoyment than the 1808's and the 12LTA's used with the same H-frames. It's hard for me to admit it but the Lowthers are now playing second fiddle to the geriatric Zeniths.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #252 on: 11 Mar 2017, 03:46 pm »
The Zeniths over H-frame Alphas

Poultrygeist

« Reply #253 on: 11 Mar 2017, 03:53 pm »
Here's a close up of the 60 year old ribbed cone Zeniths.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #254 on: 11 Mar 2017, 06:03 pm »
The Zeniths over H-frame Alphas

Nice Alnicos, how is the sound from this Zenith?
Have try it in a Bass Reflex?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #255 on: 11 Mar 2017, 06:41 pm »
I googled the Zenith drivers and found them on a Chinese (!) site for $30 and $10 shipping!

http://www.gymykuufc.xyz/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2471

Did some looking into it and they seem legit, even though their main activity is women's fashion.
I bought the pair—wish me luck!

Poultrygeist

« Reply #256 on: 11 Mar 2017, 09:24 pm »
Russell, it's a good thing you did as I would have. A second pair as a back up makes sense. Those are the same as mine I just painted the gasket.

These puppies are the real deal. Just as smooth and refined as the 1808's but with a much greater and enveloping sound stage. The 49CZ has a beautiful tone and is no doubt voiced for flea watt tube amps.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #257 on: 11 Mar 2017, 09:31 pm »
Here's what "Glow in the Dark" says about the Zeniths.

http://glowinthedarkaudio.com/zenith-49cz852.html

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #258 on: 11 Mar 2017, 10:13 pm »
Now I'm really excited! Thanks for the link. It's nice to experiment with almost zero money at stake.
I just hope mine are properly functioning.

Yours look like new, Poltrygeist—not just the frame and gasket, but the cone. Did you do anything to 'refresh' the cones on yours?

By the way, that Chinese site has an unusual collection of vintage gear for sale, like tubes and old receivers and such:
http://www.gymykuufc.xyz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=60_74

Poultrygeist

« Reply #259 on: 11 Mar 2017, 10:18 pm »
I wiped the cones down with a a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and painted the gaskets flat black. That's all.