How much do you care about customer service and warranties?

geowak

I thought it might be interesting or informative to start a discussion on warranty or customer service, as this topic relates to audio. Many people here, share opinions on audio companies and products they like, but not too much is discussed about customer service.

How much does customer service or warranty factor into your overall satisfaction with an audio company?
10% 20% or even 50%? Or does it not matter to you how well the audio piece is built, or if you can get it fixed?

Phil A

Re: How much do you care about customer service and warranties?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2014, 04:23 pm »
I think it is very important.  Everything made can break sooner to later.  The better companies take care of customers and separate themselves from the run of the mill.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2014, 04:35 pm »
It means everything. That's why I do business with AVA, VPI, and Vandersteen.

Doc.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2014, 04:37 pm »

Photon46

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2014, 05:41 pm »
It definitely plays a role in my decisions. I research owner's experiences with repairs and how a manufacturer handles them before buying. That said, I've had horrible experiences with brands that others have lauded and great experiences with brands other people have warned to stay away from. Everyone can have a bad day, some drift off a proven path, and some learn the error of their ways.

groovybassist

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2014, 05:50 pm »
Very important to me - no question.  Since my living circumstances are changing and I've had to re-architect my system a bit, RWA's 10 year warranty and people's customer service experience with Vinnie played a big role in my decision.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2014, 05:51 pm »
Warrenties and customer service are paramount.
If every company could only do as well as Oppo...
Have had poor customer service and no longer buy those products nor reccomend to others.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2014, 05:55 pm »
It means everything to me, also.  Integrity is everything. That's why I dont do business with Quicksilver (Mike). 

Goodluck.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2014, 07:08 pm »
Warranty is an expression of confidence. The more, the better.

But that doesn't mean I would choose a product with a 20 year warranty over something else with a 1 year warranty that might even cost more money.  :lol:

steve f

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2014, 09:53 pm »
It means everything to me, also.  Integrity is everything. That's why I dont do business with Quicksilver (Mike). 

Goodluck.
I have to ask. Why not Quicksilver? I haven't heard any negative comments about Mike or his products.

geowak

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2014, 11:30 pm »
We don't have to mention company names here. My intention was NOT to start a war over fanatics on ABC or XYZ companies.
Many of us have had good experiences with manufacturers and not so good experiences as well. I am just trying to get an idea if my fellow AC'ers actually think much about customer service before they buy a piece of audio. Even if an amp sounds great, what happens if it dies or starts to act up? Do the engineers back up the stuff they make, or back away from it. And do you, the audio buyer, care?

So far, some of you do care!

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2014, 11:41 pm »
I am just trying to get an idea if my fellow AC'ers actually think much about customer service before they buy a piece of audio.
I agree! No need to air dirty laundry here. As long as it is positive I don't mind the mention of companies but it is your thread so I'll follow your wishes.
After having a problem with a major company due to really an unacceptable level of customer service I now look very hard at how a company that might have something I'm interested in will respond to issues.
Looking at reviews on different sites you can get an idea how they handle problems.. Reviews always have their haters and fanboys. Best to average those out to get a more realistic view. JMO.  :|

DS-21

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2014, 11:50 pm »
IMO it's important. That said, sometimes one does have to deal with a crappy warranty policy because the gear is just better than anything else available near the price.

Take Anthem, for example. (I assume they're not alone in the idiotic policy I will discuss below, but I happen to know about them because they make an interesting product. Frankly most audio companies don't make products interesting enough for me to look into their customer service and warranty policies.) Their ARC room correction system is one of the best on the market, and since Sherwood discontinued the R-972 the only good multichannel room correction system available in a four-figure box. (The same policy applies to their pricier gear too.) So in terms of a high-performance multichannel system with reasonably-priced electronics, one can either buy an Anthem MRX, or settle for a lesser box.

Yet Anthem's warranty policy sucks: only applicable to original purchasers who bought from so-called authorized dealers, or used products laundered through "authorized dealers." That is to say, offer your month-old Anthem box on the Audiocircle classifieds,  and the subsequent purchaser has no factory warranty at all. There should be laws, as there are with cars, that warranties follow time-in-service, not some arbitrary and capricious stupidity like "authorized dealers."

Note that warranty policy is distinct from quality of customer service, at least in this particular case.
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2014, 02:03 pm by DS-21 »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 1 Aug 2014, 12:21 am »
Customer service is key - go out of your way to help me and you'll have a customer for life.

Austin08

« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2014, 02:10 am »
When I buy cheap product like couple hundreds dollars blu ray or pc speakers systems, I don't really pay attention to customer service and warranty. OTOH, when I invested couple thousands of dollars then those customer service and warranty are major factor in my buying desision.

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2014, 02:29 am »

Hi all.
Warranties, they have on planet Vietnam, if it's sold by an authorized importer/dealer.
My wife's business (Professional photographic equipment) offer warranty on everything we sell.
Most of the time, we do service ourselves with genuine manufacturers parts.
On some occasions, we have to send back to the factory the defective unit,
then the manufacturer takes care of the warranty.
I cannot say the same thing about my competitors
or other importers/dealers for other products.
For me here on planet Vietnam, if I buy anything from oversea, warranty means zero.
Too expensive to send it back.
But, when I was living in beautiful Canada, the warranty was very important for all mu purchases,
warranty offered by the importer, most of the time in Toronto, means that I have to pay to send it back, therefore, I am looking for a store that offer the service on the spot.
Also, I had a not too good experience with service sub-contractors.
Minds you, the manufacturers that offer a life time warranty,
their products are usually more expensive.
But that give you confidence in the products, if the manufacturer can stay in business a life time.
If a manufacturer offers a 3 months warranty, compared to his competitor with one year warranty,
to me it says something about the manufacturer that offer only three months warranty:
He does not have confidence in his own products.
To conclude:
The warranty is some kind of indication in the confidence the manufacturer has in his products.

Guy 13

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2014, 03:47 am »
For me, it's not so much 'Customer Service' as it is Customer Satisfaction. The warranty part matters, but the best customer satisfaction folks take care of you well after the warranty has expired. Sometimes for free, sometimes for a fee. The best, though, always stand behind their product even if you're not the original buyer. If you have a *head-scratcher* going on, they are always the kind and helpful solution.

That's not just service, it's satisfaction; and that might be priceless.

JMHO, & Have fun,

Jerry

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:00 am »
When I buy cheap product like couple hundreds dollars blu ray or pc speakers systems, I don't really pay attention to customer service and warranty. OTOH, when I invested couple thousands of dollars then those customer service and warranty are major factor in my buying desision.

+1

As much as I'd like to hope that ALL products regardless of price are backed by excellent customer service + warranty, in life you come to accept that * happens and it's not worth personal stress and aggravation worrying about it  - if it breaks, move on, even if it is annoying.  But when you have say over $500 in it, then you really expect and deserve a higher standard.  I suppose everyones $ threshold is different.

I will say that if I have any expectation, it's as much on the DEALER as the manufacturer to respond.  That many people have come not to expect much of anything from the dealer / retailer to me is sad and shows a decline in the overall service standard we have come to expect.  By the same token more and more people are less inclined to PAY for that level of service, so it's its own vicious circle. In the end, you often get the level of service you do or don't pay for. 

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #18 on: 1 Aug 2014, 02:05 pm »
When you're paying several hundred or thousands of dollars for a product, I expect that manufacturer to provide service and support.

In the old Brick and Mortar days,  I knew that my local outfit would take care of me. Why?  Because I was in there all the time, we had common interests in music and audio and I'd spent thousands of dollars in there and even brought them additional business.

Now,  the nearest brick and mortar store is probably in Nashville.  That's 2 hours away.

On the warranty side, I'm biased.  I purchases a Bryston amp.  Mainly because I loved the sound, but the 20 year warranty was a really big influence as well.

If a vendor doesn't stand behind and support their product, then are they worthy of being rewarded by purchasing their product? 

Mid and High end audio are not disposable products.  They're expensive and there is a lot of R and D that goes into those products.

I try to reward those vendors that "do it right."

HsvHeelFan

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:31 pm »
On the warranty side, I'm biased.  I purchases a Bryston amp.  Mainly because I loved the sound, but the 20 year warranty was a really big influence as well.

What would you do if you discovered an amp you within your budget that sounded much better than your Bryston, but had a lesser warranty?