Why is it better to keep the LDRx(B) always connected to power?

robertopisa

I read this in a post but I did not get the reason why there is a sonic benefit... thanks...
-R

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
I read this in a post but I did not get the reason why there is a sonic benefit... thanks...
-R

In the original release of the LDR3x.V2 preamp controller board, AutoCal was set up to run continuously (automatically) when the V2 was turned off but still connected to power. Thus the guidance was to leave the V2 powered while turned off.  Based on customer feedback this was eventually changed such that with the later/latest software an AutoCal cycle will only happen if deliberately initiated by the user when the V2 is off. Given this revised approach to running AutoCal, there's no benefit/downside either way. There was never any direct sonic benefit except perhaps that in running AutoCal continuously it might give it a slight performance advantage but I came around to the view that this was overkill. LDRs may drift over time but running AutoCal say once a month or perhaps only as needed should be sufficient. Also, this way users didn't have to concern themselves with turning their amps off before turning off the V2.

robertopisa

I see the point, but what about the PS board? Keeping it on, it seems to me that the overall sound is better... maybe it's just that I have been using the LDRxB for about 20 hours so far.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
I see the point, but what about the PS board? Keeping it on, it seems to me that the overall sound is better... maybe it's just that I have been using the LDRxB for about 20 hours so far.

From my own experience and listening I'm of the view that leaving it powered up but turned off while not listening results in better performance when it's turned on but that's one man's subjective take. I appears we're in agreement on that so make that two men!  :green:

P.S. - I have no technical explanation for why it would make a difference but as with many things in high performance audio hearing is believing!