Help me Choose 7B-SST2 or 28B-SST2

95Dyna

Re: Help me Choose 7B-SST2 or 28B-SST2
« Reply #20 on: 4 Feb 2014, 07:54 pm »
Please, do not forget to share your impression with us when your system is complete and good luck. :thumb:

I am most interested in how they fare with your BAT VK42-SE as I have it under consideration to pair with my 7's to replace my BP26.

bjski

« Reply #21 on: 4 Feb 2014, 09:49 pm »
Granted mine is tubes but I love my Bat 32SE with my 7BSST/2. I would only change preamps is if Bryston comes out with something that replaces the 26.

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 4 Feb 2014, 09:52 pm »
I know we've strayed a bit from the OP's original question, but I have a number of speakers at home including a pair of CS3.7s I run on a pair of 7B SST2 amps, and the sound is just magnificent. I had a pair of 28BSST2 amps for a few weeks between trade shows and there was most certainly an improvement, but it was not a night and day difference.

I remember doing lots of trade shows with 28BSST2 amps, and the earlier SST version when it was first released using 3.7s, and we always got sound that was to die for.

dumanski

« Reply #23 on: 8 Feb 2014, 06:02 am »
I am most interested in how they fare with your BAT VK42-SE as I have it under consideration to pair with my 7's to replace my BP26.
  the bat vk- 42 is a very good mate for the 7b very good control smooth in higher volumes very good bass ...but if you like live sound the 32- se is less dark slightly softer in bass but still no slouch in that department. FYI

yyz

« Reply #24 on: 9 Feb 2014, 08:51 pm »

I can answer that question today since I am using my BAT with Bryston PowerPac 300's. My speakers at the moment are Thiel SCS4's. I used to use the BAT pre-amp with 7B-SST and Revel Salons, both amps and Revels were sold long ago (I moved and had space issues). The thing I liked about the BAT is how it took out the harshness I had with my previous pre-amp (no names mentioned). I also don't feel I am missing anything on the top end with the BAT. Everyting is there but without any harshness. My BAT is my favourite audio piece and I will never sell it. I got lucky and bought a 1 month old piece for 1/2 price on A'Gon. I am not sure if I would have spent $7K (full price at that time) on a pre but after using it I realize how important a pre-amp is. I personally feel it is the most important piece of the system. It had the biggest improvment in my system other than some mods to my old Sony SCD-1.

The interface on the BAT is also beautiful, a pleasure to use. I have a Benchmark DAC2 in the office system and I have never had the desire to try replacing the BAT with the Benchmark digital volume control on the bigger system. Why muck around when it works.

As I type this, I am listening to The Verve's Urban Hymns CD from the mid '90s. It is not the greatest recording and can sound harsh but on the BAT it sounds very nice and I can appreciate the brilliance of the recording and not get too bothered by the poor recording.

yyz

« Reply #25 on: 9 Feb 2014, 09:07 pm »
I know we've strayed a bit from the OP's original question, but I have a number of speakers at home including a pair of CS3.7s I run on a pair of 7B SST2 amps, and the sound is just magnificent. I had a pair of 28BSST2 amps for a few weeks between trade shows and there was most certainly an improvement, but it was not a night and day difference.

I remember doing lots of trade shows with 28BSST2 amps, and the earlier SST version when it was first released using 3.7s, and we always got sound that was to die for.

Thanks Gary I have followed many reviews and online discussions of your presentations with the Thiel CS3.7's (my previous fav). The 3.7 and Blade seem to me very similar in amp requirements. So if the 7B's are magnificent in your opinion then that is a pretty good recommedation for me. The 7B-SST2 will be the way I go.

Rod_S

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jul 2014, 06:38 pm »
Sorry for reviving an older thread but I was curious if the question was settled on what % of Bryston amps' power is Class A as that ended up being discussed in the thread and was an interesting topic. Was it 1%?

werd

« Reply #27 on: 2 Aug 2014, 12:25 pm »
Its a no brainer, go with the 28s. Don't the 28s have 28 output transistors as opposed to 7? its something like that. They sound completely effortless. Well so do the 7s until you've heard the 28s.

Rod_S

« Reply #28 on: 4 Aug 2014, 07:44 pm »
I do have a pair of 28B-SST2 now but was just curious how much Class A was being used. I'll be adding three 7B-SST2's later on as well.