SOLD FS: Red Wine Audio Bellina NOS TUBE BATTERY DAC

TomekZ

For Sale: Red Wine Audio Bellina NOS (Non-over-sampling) DAC (Digital-analogue-converter). This is a battery operated machine. It has a vacuum tube in the output.

Three inputs: optical, coaxial & USB. 2015 vintage. Newer battery. Used about one year in time. Condition is great--no defects. Uses a 12ax7 or 6DJ8 buffer tube. Very smooth & spacious & detailed sound. Easy on the ears for long term listening. Will accept all digital inputs but outputs to 16 bit only. This type of NOS DAC is especially musicial for CD and MP3 and Youtube streaming--many audiophiles feeling that 16 bit digital music through up- or over- sampling adds an irritating distortion. And such has been my personal experience.

This is encased in lovely Cherry wood (which I also think makes for a more organic sound). Will ship in manufacturers box which is very well padded. Will include the charger which is not pictured.

The ways this battery DAC works is to turn the switch one click and AC is running through the battery or two clicks to run on pure battery. On battery there is a quieter background without AC haze. I get 6 and a half hours on one charge. When the unit is turned off (clicking back to the left) the battery automatically recharges.

Asking $600

« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2018, 03:44 am by TomekZ »

TomekZ

Re: FS: Red Wine Audio Bellina NOS TUBE BATTERY DAC
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2018, 04:54 pm »
Trades? This DAC is very sensitive to quality of tube. The tube definitely adds liquidity and roundness to texture and tone.
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2018, 03:44 am by TomekZ »

who?me?

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2018, 02:27 am »
Really cool, but which "NOS chip" in particular is used in the DAC?
thank you

TomekZ

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2018, 02:35 am »
Vinnie Rossi had been secretive about the particular DAC chip. The name/label is scratched off. I've had numerous NOS DAC that used Philips TDA 1543 & TDA 1541, namely Peter Daniels, Scott NIxon, Ach!, Promethius. Also I have a Mojo Audio Mystique which uses  Analog Devices AD1862. And to me the Red Wine Audio sounds more like the Mystique than the other mentioned. The RWA, using a tube buffer in the output, colors the sound depending very much on the particular tube. The tube liquidity and roundness is evident even though my SET tube amp, how much more so into a solid state amp.