First Reflection treated with Diffusion

jimtranr

Re: First Reflection treated with Diffusion
« Reply #40 on: 11 Feb 2013, 11:11 pm »
Very interesting.  When your diffusor wall is in place, about how far is it from the wall behind you?  The dimensions of my basement room (27' x 16') are similar to those of your living room/dining room and we similarly have a table (a pool table in our case) behind the listening position.  It's 14 feet from the listening position to the back wall.  Is this somewhat like how your room is laid out?

Here's the layout (not to scale), Dave:

My listening position is about 13.5' from the rear wall. Putting the diffusor 5' behind me sits it 8.5 feet ahead of the rear wall.

Dave G

« Reply #41 on: 12 Feb 2013, 12:07 am »
My listening position is about 13.5' from the rear wall. Putting the diffusor 5' behind me sits it 8.5 feet ahead of the rear wall.

Jim,

Thanks SO much!  That is just what I needed to know -- it seems that our rooms and set-ups are similar.  I'm going to try what you've done, both behind the listening position and at the first reflection points.  Thanks again!

Dave

jimtranr

« Reply #42 on: 12 Feb 2013, 01:09 am »
You're welcome, Dave. Let us know how it turns out, especially which configuration works best for you.

jk@home

« Reply #43 on: 12 Feb 2013, 01:01 pm »
Can the SRL grid diffusers be placed side x side (horizontally) when in a vertically-oriented grid position, if one is flipped 180 degrees?

jimtranr

« Reply #44 on: 12 Feb 2013, 02:36 pm »
Can the SRL grid diffusers be placed side x side (horizontally) when in a vertically-oriented grid position, if one is flipped 180 degrees?

Allen may want to comment on this, but because there's a fairly shallow-depth lip on both sides in the vertical orientation to allow for drop-in into a ceiling grid, the horizontally-oriented diffuser won't stand on its own in a standalone configuration (like the one I employ atop my dining table or atop speaker stands in my bedroom system) absent attachment via adhesive to, say, a plywood back with protruding frame behind it to support it. 

jriggy

« Reply #45 on: 12 Feb 2013, 02:51 pm »
Heres a diffusor that I dont think has ever been posted:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/room.html It can be purchased as a kit OR assembled. They sell the plans for 10 bux too! Maybe the plans could be adapted for a bigger/deeper diffusor?

~J

jk@home

« Reply #46 on: 12 Feb 2013, 02:54 pm »
Allen may want to comment on this, but because there's a fairly shallow-depth lip on both sides in the vertical orientation to allow for drop-in into a ceiling grid, the horizontally-oriented diffuser won't stand on its own in a standalone configuration (like the one I employ atop my dining table or atop speaker stands in my bedroom system) absent attachment via adhesive to, say, a plywood back with protruding frame behind it to support it.

Yes, I planned on adding a backer, in fact plan on installing them (including backers) on movable stands. If they are similar to the GIKs, then the lip can be trimmed off. My concern is performance. If I understand correctly, the GIK Gridfusors are already a paired/inverted set of QRDs, formed into one assembly. So they are recommended not to be placed as I described above.

The SRLs are slightly different on each end, so just wondering...

kiwi_1282001

« Reply #47 on: 18 Mar 2013, 02:42 pm »
I've tried and stuck with diffusion at the first side wall reflection point.  This is despite the room being small and the speakers being located quite close to the side walls.   Yes, there are some trade offs which I have observed and written about but overall it was my preference.