AVA Omegastar remote/trigger options

blackscorpio

AVA Omegastar remote/trigger options
« on: 26 Jul 2012, 09:23 pm »
I recently bought an used AVA amp, after receiving it I found that they usually don't come with remote or trigger ins. what are my options now? do I have to live with manual operation? TIA.

avahifi

Re: AVA Omegastar remote/trigger options
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2012, 09:40 pm »
Sorry, no economical way to provide a remote trigger for this amplifier.  AVA amplifiers are simply not designed for this function.  The power switch is 80 ampere inrush current rated to stay alive long term charging up the big power supply.  Perhaps you can find an external AC switch box that would help you out. Otherwise, you wll be faced with the sad drudgery of turning the amp on and off yourself, like almost all of the other devices you have connected to your AC power lines.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

blackscorpio

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2012, 10:30 pm »
Sorry, no economical way to provide a remote trigger for this amplifier.  AVA amplifiers are simply not designed for this function.  The power switch is 80 ampere inrush current rated to stay alive long term charging up the big power supply.  Perhaps you can find an external AC switch box that would help you out. Otherwise, you wll be faced with the sad drudgery of turning the amp on and off yourself, like almost all of the other devices you have connected to your AC power lines.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Frank, can you upgrade it with a remote/trigger for me? and costs please?

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2012, 06:37 pm »
I turned your request for a remote power trigger for your older AVA power amp over to my EE for a cost estimate.  It can be done and I will know how much it will cost in a few days.

Exactly what hardware (trigger jack) will the amp need on its back panel to accept your trigger source?

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

srb

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2012, 07:12 pm »
A few amplifiers, like Brystons, use a 2-terminal screw barrier strip for trigger connection, but the majority use a 3.5mm 2-conductor phone jack.

There is no industry standard for trigger voltage and current.  The voltage can range from 3VDC - 30VDC, but the majority seem to be 12VDC.  Required coil current required to latch the relay also seem to vary anywhere from 50mA to 250mA with many amplifiers requiring 100mA to 150mA to work properly.

Steve

blackscorpio

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2012, 09:41 pm »
I turned your request for a remote power trigger for your older AVA power amp over to my EE for a cost estimate.  It can be done and I will know how much it will cost in a few days.

Exactly what hardware (trigger jack) will the amp need on its back panel to accept your trigger source?

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Instead of a trigger, is it possible to have a IR remote system installed? No need to be internal and external is more preferable.

Please give me separates quotes for remote and trigger installation?

Trigger Out specifications from my pre-amp user guide:

TRIGGERING OTHER COMPONENTS ON/OFF
12V Trigger Out
There is one 12 volt trigger output and one input. The output can be used to turn on power amplifiers and other equipment that are equipped with automatic turn-on inputs. Connect the 12V output jack to the triggered component’s trigger input jack using a trigger wire with the 2.5 mm sub-mini plugs.
Note: The trigger voltage source is DC and the trigger plug tip is + (positive) and its sleeve – (negative). The trigger output has a maximum current capacity of 150mA.

sfox7076

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2012, 10:26 pm »
Why don't you get a switched A/C outlet.  I am sure it is a much cheaper option.  Here is a $100 option.  http://www.amazon.com/Panamax-M10-HT-PRO-Home-Theater-Management/dp/B000SXWGA6  I imagine that will be cheaper than shipping your amp back or installing an external IR device.  Just hook the amp to a switched outlet and put the amp trigger into the one on the power strip.  Problem solved for $100 and no messing with the AVA internals.

Shawn