Kittens using room treatment as climbing trees

guf

Kittens using room treatment as climbing trees
« on: 26 Jun 2016, 05:21 pm »
What the heck can I do about it?! My 244s, monster bass, tri traps.... Any suggestions that have worked for you? Besides the obvious, getting rid of the kittens.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Kittens using room treatment as climbing trees
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2016, 05:35 pm »
What the heck can I do about it?! My 244s, monster bass, tri traps.... Any suggestions that have worked for you? Besides the obvious, getting rid of the kittens.

You said it...get rid of them.

Audio before cats every day of the week!

George

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2016, 05:38 pm »
Will they ever be outside cats; ever? If the answer is no, then you can decide about declawing. I have owned cats my entire life, but have never gone that route. My best friend has, though, and she swears by it.

Otherwise, packing tape (4" or wider) placed at where they first 'claw in' works wonders. Looks goofy as hell to visitors, but cats hate the stuff and just walk away.

Have fun,

Jerry

Hikmer

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2016, 06:09 pm »
Having been there and done that, you can get kitty claws plastic nails...yes they may come off and yes you will eventually have some damage...expect it...you have an animal in the house.

I also bought these cat fences from a local Asian dollar market that connected together which had spikes all over them to keep kitty away.  Only worked until the cat figured out how to knock them down.

Bottom line...if you have cats, don't get Vandersteen speakers...room treatments are also seen as giant scratching posts but I didnt care about them as much.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2016, 06:29 pm »
De-clawing is cruel and inhumaine.  Don't do it.  It will make the cats irritable and mean.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2016, 06:35 pm »
I find that kittens don't see room treatments as scratching posts, but rather as challenges to be conquered.  So make sure you do have several scratching posts around and trim their claws.  Put a tall cat tree in the room, too.  Some cats just seek high places where they can sit and plan to conquer the world.  And usually the kittens tire of the game of climbing the room treatments after a while, and look for other things to destroy...er, conquer.  Put several coins in a can, seal it, and throw it at them when they start to climb (this assumes you are in the room when it happens) and the noise will scare them off, but they will try again later.  Do not get them declawed - it's like cutting our fingers off. They then turn to biting.  They use the claws to grip.   My kitten at 5 months has tired of climbing the room treatments and is looking for new fields to conquer.  The curtains in the living room seem to be her new target.  And it all can be fixed.

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2016, 06:47 pm »
Scare the living hell out of them. Lol! But really.

People say cats can't be trained but we have trained both of our cats very well to our lifestyle... Personally I think declawing is rather inhumane (but I will not debate about it).

I even trained a cat that was already a few years old and new to us... People will tell ya a squirt bottle with water sprayed at them. Or applying vinegar or bitter apple smells on the location...but what has worked for me is just YELL "no", clap my hands loud, while getting up and after them, repeating the loud noises while continuing chase into the other room or wherever they are headed and then stop and leave them alone. You do this in an "all-hells-fury" mode a couple times and you will never have to do it again. Of course, later that day you want to pore on the love again and constantly let them know how special they are to you and how much you love them (thats a given for all pets, and assuming you know that outpouring of love just makes them a better animal anyway). Turning on the fury when they are somewhere they should not be has worked for me for years with more than a few of em. You don't need devices or chemicals or mutilation or anything like that.

With that said, the tape is a good idea too but we don't need it.

Another thing I do is to take the cats to their scratching posts and trees, put them in position, take their front legs in your hands and 'motion scratch' their paws on their allowed places. Scratching posts in more than one place in the house is good for them too. We have one in my wife's dressing room, where they are with her in the morning, one in our TV/HT set-up room and a small on up front in the living room.

I believe some animals can blossom into a more conscious being via your love, attention and teaching.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2016, 06:48 pm »
Cats belong in the barn, not your house. They serve no useful purpose other than keeping rodents out of the grain.

Doc

jriggy

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2016, 06:53 pm »
Cats belong in the barn, not your house. They serve no useful purpose other than keeping rodents out of the grain.

Doc

Theres a hater in every group! :lol:  Our chipmunk problem is long gone AND the cats gets warmth and comfort. Imagine that!

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2016, 07:03 pm »
I don't hate anything. I just wouldn't give a cat house room.

Doc

Gzerro

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2016, 07:16 pm »
I use Petsafe "SSScat" to deter my cats from areas I don't want them to go. It is basically a can of compressed air with a motion sensor that sets it off. Scares the crap out of them, and they won't go near it again.

guf

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2016, 11:42 pm »
Thanks you guys for the suggestions! They will not be declawed and they will remain indoor cats. We live in the city, San Francisco. Our last two cats were out door and they lived much longer than the average life of an out door city cat but these guys are indoor only. 

Intresting point @glynnw about being something to climb on and conquer rather than scratching post because that seems to be what they are doing is climbing not scratching. They are climbers, Mainecoons. They do have their own room but we are incorporating them into the rest of the house and that includes the main room which is my listening room. We have a cat tree on order for this room so that should help. We do have central patio that is essentially out door space that I will turn into a catio for them. The 2 sided tape has helped for the sofa but also confirms that they just want to climb and conquer the room treatments on the walls. We'll see, I'm trying not to be uptight about it.  :duh:

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2016, 12:24 am »
Try putting a small pillow on top of the treatments. I had a friend who did that with his speakers when he left the house.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2016, 12:25 am »
Shotgun?  :dunno:

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2016, 12:18 pm »
My 2 new cats enjoyed climbing my Maggies.  The older cat never looked twice at them.

I have found the new ones sitting on top of the speakers.

It was an issue for me until they transitioned to indoor/outdoor.  Now they expend their energy outside and come in to rest and eat.

I would try tinfoil - they seem to freak when they step on it!

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2016, 06:20 pm »

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2016, 06:36 pm »
You need to check how your room sounds when the kitties are at various elevations. I've been told Tabby's sound best in the corners, and Persians on the ceiling, but YCMV.

(Ok, it's Monday. I don't even own a cat.)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2016, 06:44 pm »
There is a repellent spray to cats typically used in couches that can help in this case.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2016, 07:10 pm »
There is a repellent spray..........
Remington makes some.

Ok... I'll stop.  :icon_twisted:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!