coding bootcamps?

drphoto

coding bootcamps?
« on: 23 Oct 2016, 10:53 pm »
Any of you pro guys out there know if these are legit or just a ripoff? Looks like my contract photography job may never come back (and freelance world is dead) and I'll slit my throat if I have to keep working at this damn hospital job.

Always had an interest in computers. So is this worth pursuing? I love school and would consider going back to college for computer science degree, but I'm 58 and the clocks ticking.

thanks.

JoshK

Re: coding bootcamps?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2016, 11:21 pm »
I'm 41 and like my job, not switching gears or anything but I was thinking of kicking up the tech knowledge a click or two (B.Sc double in Stats and Math with the basic two year of comp sci, MSc in Financial Math where we did a lot more numerical and computational analysis).   I want to learn to organize and do production worthy code (algorithms and solutions I am good at) and more statistical learning.   Turns out there are a ton of classes for free online, some lead to certification.  If you have a degree already, I'd look into a specialization that is in demand and honker down and forget a degree.   Most of the times, a certification in a field of desire can land a first job and you go from there. 

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2016, 12:32 am »
Thanks Josh. Yeah I have a BS in chemistry ( and an all but dissertation PhD)

Nothing to with computers, but I've been using the tech since the earliest days. Even wrote some Basic programs back in the day.

Will look into it.

Always good to hear for you man.

cheers

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2016, 01:29 pm »
You can get started for free:
https://www.codecademy.com/