Manufacturers reference speakers, price lowered to $3K - SOLD

audioengr

These speakers have been the reference for my company for about 8 years. I would not be selling them, but I have upgraded my speakers recently to Vapor Audio speakers. These ribbons were purchased from a Company called Soundline.  They were positively reviewed in Stereophile. 

Here they are in my system:
http://www.empiricalaudio.com/about-empirical-audio/

I modified them with over $1500 in new crossover components and new circuit boards and rewired them with high-performance low-inductance wiring, similar to my speaker cables I used to sell. The crossover parts include V-Caps, Black Gates, Jensen air-core inductors and planar thick-film resistors.  The wiring is all silver-plated copper twisted-pairs with Teflon insulation.  The bass box ports were retuned for maximum performance.  These are well-built and have served me well at several shows.  These speakers were instrumental in earning several best of show ratings for my rooms at RMAF and Newport Beach Audio Show.  No visible scratches.

The loudspeakers have 4 foot full-range ribbons with 10" Vifa driver bass boxes, with custom wiring and crossover components including high-end Teflon caps, Multi-Caps and Jensen air-core inductors from Denmark. Excellent bass response.

These ribbons are not like other ribbons. Very dynamic and extended. Crossover is at 650Hz. Unlike most ribbons, these can actually create an acoustic shock wave. They are efficient enough to use with 30W tube amps and drive well with 4 ohm transformer tube amp output. Driving with Solid State amps requires minimum 100 watts, but the more the better. The off-axis and standing response is excellent. They sound nearly identical from every position in the room. Superb imaging, even off-axis.  This is why they are great for trade shows. They easily break down into 4 units, the 2 panels and the 2 bass boxes. I have the original boxes and packing. I can demo them in my system with appointment.

These will beat most standard driver and electrostatic speakers, including the majority of other ribbon speakers up to $20K retail price.  I have been attending shows for at least 15 years and have heard a lot of ribbons, but none that sound like this.  I accept cash only at this low price, but price is negotiable.  Shipping is extra.

You can contact me by email at nugent@empiricalaudio.com
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2018, 12:57 am by audioengr »

ctsooner

Re: Manufacturers reference speakers, only $3500
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2017, 02:03 pm »
Glad you got your Vapors Steve.  If these are anything like how good your server I purchased is, then they are a steal.  Good luck selling these.  I'm sure whoever gets them will be VERY happy for a long time.

firedog

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2018, 09:42 am »
Can you post the model number of the original. Looked for any reference to them online and couldn't find anything.

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2018, 06:55 pm »
Can you post the model number of the original. Looked for any reference to them online and couldn't find anything.

They are similar to the SL3, but larger bass box with angled 10" woofer.  I think the SL3 was an early version of my speaker with an 8" woofer.

My version had an informal review in Stereophile and I bought them based on that.  Mine are an entirely different animal. Nothing like the sound of the original speakers.

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2018, 06:01 pm by audioengr »

ketcham

• Industry Participant
Re: Manufacturers reference speakers, price lowered to $3K
« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2018, 03:17 pm »
Living in Portland and having a quiver of Steve's products, I have visited his home several times.

I can vouch for these speakers and 3K is a stellar deal.  They would not work for my space with windows as the back drop.  This is the issues I am currently having with my same designed speakers.

Steve will disagree with me, but how we interpret sound is truly subjective:  These speakers he is selling in my estimation are far better than his replacement speakers.  (Sorry Steve, I am just being honest.)  In my opinion, they bested your Vapors in holography.  I felt I can position the musicians in the room with your previous speakers, the realism I have not seen reproduced in any other situation, ever.

John.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2018, 05:24 pm »
Living in Portland and having a quiver of Steve's products, I have visited his home several times.

I can vouch for these speakers and 3K is a stellar deal.  They would not work for my space with windows as the back drop.  This is the issues I am currently having with my same designed speakers.

Steve will disagree with me, but how we interpret sound is truly subjective:  These speakers he is selling in my estimation are far better than his replacement speakers.  (Sorry Steve, I am just being honest.)  In my opinion, they bested your Vapors in holography.  I felt I can position the musicians in the room with your previous speakers, the realism I have not seen reproduced in any other situation, ever.

John.

It's true, these ribbons image better than anything I have owned or even heard, particularly off-axis in my quirky room.  If I could pull my new speakers out into the room, I think they might rival the ribbons, but I have WAF to contend with.  I have heard my Vapor speakers in other venues and they imaged really well.

Steve N.

ctsooner

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2018, 07:07 pm »
Steve (and John). just use these CIEM's...  www.empireears.com. Go check out the Phantom's.  Just got mine and they are unreal.  Just so good and comfortable.  When you can't listen to speakers

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2018, 09:03 pm »
Steve (and John). just use these CIEM's...  www.empireears.com. Go check out the Phantom's.  Just got mine and they are unreal.  Just so good and comfortable.  When you can't listen to speakers

Nice.  They are about the same $ as a good pair of headphones, and they probably cut out the external noise.

Are they efficient enough to use with iPhone etc?

Steve N.

ctsooner

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2018, 02:18 pm »
Steve, they are very efficient.  They have scaled so well with my Ayre QX5 DAC/Amp.  If you had these to voice your amp, I promise you that it will be about as good as it gets.  Tonally they are outstanding.  They have a bit of a 5khz rise, but it's not harsh at all.  Best reference CIEM that I've ever heard.  I have a few friends who produce and these are the first CIEM"s they will use.  Let's chat when you have a chance.  You have my number and email.  text or email and let's talk. 

sb6

They look like taller versions of Carver's Amazings III which I had some years back. Good speakers.