VR-4 SE Mk3 Upgrade

StereoNut

VR-4 SE Mk3 Upgrade
« on: 10 Dec 2009, 01:31 pm »
Has anybody sent in their older VR-4's for the VR-4 SE Mk3 upgrade and if so what the results were like?

Thanks!
SN

StereoNut

Re: VR-4 SE Mk3 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2009, 02:41 pm »
No replies?!?  I guess that everyone's either making bigger "jumps" up the Von Schweikert line from their VR-4's or conversely, no one has the money to even do this upgrade!?

SN

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2009, 02:45 pm »
No doubt there are guys here who have done this but just haven't yet read your post.  Activity here sometimes flat lines so be patient...you'll hear something eventually.

StereoNut

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2009, 03:40 pm »
Thanks, es347!

It's sometimes hard to be patient when you're contemplating changes to your own system, but want some feedback from others who have gone down that path already before you decide for yourself.  Whether it's for assurance or rebuttal, it's a journey that needs to be taken.

SN

JackD201

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2009, 04:38 pm »
I've come across some members that have already posted their experiences in some other threads here but unfortunately I can't remember which threads in particular.

StereoNut

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2009, 04:58 pm »
Thanks, Jack.  I tried a search before I started this thread, without much luck.  I even checked with Delacroix just to make sure, but nothing came up that detailed anybody actually having this upgrade done to their "old" VR-4's.

SN

McTwins

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2009, 08:49 pm »
Hi
I am happy with mine, still going strong.

Why do you want to do the upgrade, somthing wrong with yours?

StereoNut

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2009, 09:19 pm »
Actually, nothing's wrong with mine.  I guess this all started with another thread about speaker placement for my VR-4 Gen.III's and my questions on overcoming possible issues with my listening room.  I felt that two doorways to the front corners of the room behind my VR-4's could be causing less bass than I'd expect from them.  The next thing you know after exchanging e-mails with VSA and then with Albert himself, he mentioned room correction, speaker placement, speaker cables and ultimately, the upgrade to the SR Mk3 version.

Since we're "on the subject". why did you do the upgrade on yours and how much of a difference did it make compared to your "original" VR-4's?  Was it a "why didn't I do this sooner" kind of change?

Thanks!
SN

Charles Calkins

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2009, 09:56 pm »
I've found that the better the electronics the better results you'll get. I'm surprised when you say you're getting less bass than you expected. I have to turn the bass gain on the pre way down. Otherwise I've too much bass.

Cheers
                             Charlie

McTwins

« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2009, 10:07 pm »
Hi
I haven't done any upgrade with mine VR4 GENIII, yours looks like mine. I bought mine in 2003.

I do belive that the room is causing the problems you have. I had problem in my room as well, specially with bass and reverbation, it was lots of echoes before.

McTwins

« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2009, 10:10 pm »
Hi
About the electronics, I also have Quad 909 in bi-amp and the sound is great here too. I had the same problems wheather I am running Quad or McIntosh when it comes too the room problems.