Break in help!!!

mjosef

Re: Break in help!!!
« Reply #40 on: 30 Oct 2009, 01:51 am »
Ok Guys, I'm listening to them As I type this. UGGH. Does anyone here live in/close to NYC? I'll gladly buy you a great lunch to come have a listen and give a few suggestions. And to prove to everyone I'm NOT out of my mind! lol

Check with the guys in the NYAR circle...in fact at our last rave, 10/24, the host had the VR4...not sure which version.  I am sure a few of the guys could give them a listen and offer suggestions.

penthouse-D

« Reply #41 on: 31 Oct 2009, 11:42 pm »
Getting a little better after wrestling them around a bit. Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #42 on: 31 Oct 2009, 11:54 pm »
Hey Penthouse..

Have you tried disconnecting the M/T cables and just driving the bass units?  If so, do you get a reasonable level of output?  It sure seems like you are having a room placement issue.  Hang in there buddy, as I said before, you now own one of the best speakers out there, certainly in its price range.

Gavin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #43 on: 1 Nov 2009, 01:42 pm »
there's already plenty of good suggestions in here, but i'm gonna try and give you my take.

you said your speakers are 7 feet apart and you sit 12 feet away. personally, "i" find that "i" like the sound from my speakers best when the listening position in the same as the speakers distance from each other. ie...my speakers are about 8.5 feet apart and my listening position is about 8.5 feet from the front of the speakers.

just for an experiment, move your speakers into the room so that they are 7 feet away from your listening position to see how that effects the sound. this will also give you much more distance from the rear wall. then move your speakers back to their original position and move your listening postion so that it's 7 feet away from the front of your speakers.

if you like this equilateral method of placement, just experiment with speaker placement and position until you find a happy medium. good luck and have fun!

kevin t

ps...i'm not sure what "front baffled" means. is that the same as front ported?

My educated guess is the further he gets them out into the room, the better they'll sound.
If you don't have flexibility of moving your speakers out or apart more, can you move your listening seat nearer your speaks to approximate an equilateral triangle?  Where you sit presently, it may be that your room is creating a null and void kinda thing.  Might wanna toe them in some more if you can try this.  Maybe you could use a chair that's like easy to move.  An illustration of your arrangement (with furnishings) would be very helpful to the guys, I'm sure.

penthouse-D

« Reply #44 on: 5 Nov 2009, 06:27 pm »
Hey folks, thanks for all your suggestions. They seem to be getting a little better. I'm hoping I'll get the "punch" I'm looking for. Actually feeling the music. Is this a part of the break in process also?

penthouse-D

« Reply #45 on: 5 Nov 2009, 08:04 pm »
Yes, as a matter of fact, I've tried almost all of them. I'm here looking for a little guidance, not a wiseguy. Maybe you should "politely" excuse yourself from the thread...

SundayNiagara

« Reply #46 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:00 am »
Yes, as a matter of fact, I've tried almost all of them. I'm here looking for a little guidance, not a wiseguy. Maybe you should "politely" excuse yourself from the thread...

Well, DID YOU?

penthouse-D

« Reply #47 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:07 am »
I tried everything suggested. If you take a look at many of your responses, they were very sarcastic. The first few were helpful, the last few were not. The one mentioning the person who prefered the sound of his television certainly wasn't constructive. I asked politely.

McTwins

« Reply #48 on: 6 Nov 2009, 05:39 am »
Hi
Take it easy guys.
PenthouseD......
First of all, YOU have to breake them in.
After that try this, put the speakers diagonal from an 90 degree corner wheather you can't do this or not in your room but you have to try it to see if there is a different. You have a cubical room, thats a problem allready there. Read the manual and it's cleerly stated there.

Left speaker on left side and the right speaker on the right side, you are looking at the corner. I hope you understand what I am saying.
Start with this.
Thanks

McTwins

« Reply #49 on: 6 Nov 2009, 05:54 am »
Hi
I forgot to mention, I had alot of brainstorming for four years when tuning my room and I know that the biggest problem lies in the room acoustics, wheather ones like it or not. The biggest problem is to overcome ones patience. :D

penthouse-D

« Reply #50 on: 6 Nov 2009, 10:27 pm »
Thanks McTwins, I'll give that a whirl over the weekend. As you've read from my previous posts, this is a big step for me financially. I'm hoping the extra money buys me that much better performance. We'll see.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 7 Nov 2009, 12:15 am »
Pentouse..

I owned the VR4 SR MKIIs and I'll say it again...the MKIIIs are that much better my friend.  When you get your particular problem sorted out you will become another died-in-the-wool VSA "ditto head"...trust me. :thankyou:

penthouse-D

« Reply #52 on: 9 Nov 2009, 02:18 pm »
Firstly. Thanks for your help everyone. I have tried every suggestion my space allows. I'm starting to get a decent soundstage. The speakers are about 7.5 feet apart and about 10 degrees toed in about 12 inches away from the wall. Please remember, I live in NYC and we aren't afforded the luxury of large space. I am still concerned about the lack of fullness and bass. I'm hoping when the drivers free up a bit, this will correct itself. Oddly enough, when I lower my head to the level of the bass cabinet the bass is much fuller.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 9 Nov 2009, 05:30 pm »
I hadn't considered that you might be too tall :lol: Seriously, give the rubber surrounds on those aluminum cones a chance to loosen a bit and you will be plumbing the depths down to Davy Jones' locker and beyond.

SundayNiagara

« Reply #54 on: 9 Nov 2009, 05:30 pm »
Firstly. Thanks for your help everyone. I have tried every suggestion my space allows. I'm starting to get a decent soundstage. The speakers are about 7.5 feet apart and about 10 degrees toed in about 12 inches away from the wall. Please remember, I live in NYC and we aren't afforded the luxury of large space. I am still concerned about the lack of fullness and bass. I'm hoping when the drivers free up a bit, this will correct itself. Oddly enough, when I lower my head to the level of the bass cabinet the bass is much fuller.

Still too close to the wall behind them, they need room to breathe.

penthouse-D

« Reply #55 on: 9 Nov 2009, 06:25 pm »
Thanks, I can't bring them out from the wall any more. I just don't have the space. I always thought the closer to the wall, the more bass.

SundayNiagara

« Reply #56 on: 9 Nov 2009, 09:05 pm »
Thanks, I can't bring them out from the wall any more. I just don't have the space. I always thought the closer to the wall, the more bass.

Try a temporary re-arrange of your room just to confirm what I and other posters have been telling you.  Experience with VSA speakers tells me a minimum of 3 feet is required, with Pearson's rule of thirds the ideal.

Yes, the closer to the wall, the more, (boomy) bass.

mjosef

« Reply #57 on: 9 Nov 2009, 11:54 pm »
I would suggest raising your speakers 3-4" on some kind of platform, which would tilt the balance towards the bass(warmer). And try a deeper toe in which should give you a more solid center image and a wider soundstage. To get a deeper soundstage without pulling the speakers further into the room, you will need to have some manner of acoustic treatment(absorption) on the wall between the speakers.

SundayNiagara

« Reply #58 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:44 pm »
Looks like we're not going to see the results.

penthouse-D

« Reply #59 on: 30 Nov 2009, 04:27 pm »
Everyone loves a "happy ending"! So,here's where I'm at. Albert was nice enough to send his friend John over to my apartment to give my system a listen. John is a very nice guy with A LOT more experience with high-end equiptment than me.  The second I turned on the system, I could tell by John's face,I wasn't out of my mind. The first thing we did was remove the dacron from the cabinets. The next step was to install rubber feet on the spikes. The system sounds fuller without being boomy. John also noted that my room is a bit "harsh". I just moved in,and haven't hung all the pictures etc.up. He pointed out that between that and the enormous windows, the mids and highs are exaggerated and this may be helped by warming up the room a bit with some plants etc. I think with a bit more break in time and warming up the room a bit I'll be in much better shape. THANKS for all your help!