Manny P vs Timmy B

jimdgoulding

Re: Manny P vs Timmy B
« Reply #40 on: 13 Apr 2014, 12:25 pm »
Jackman is da man.  Hail Jackman.  Wishful thinking blinded me.  See, I like both guys equally and I like change.  That is NOT to say that I agree with the decision in the first fight, please.  Manny was the better fighter then and the only reason it was close was that Manny took his foot off the gas too much.  And Bradley can't change spots :duh:.  All Manny had to do was be busier.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2014, 01:35 pm by jimdgoulding »

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #41 on: 13 Apr 2014, 02:20 pm »

I totally agree. Manny is da man and proved it with ease. Both fighters were ready for the fight but Manny once again proved to be the better fighter. Now for Floyd.

And yes, Jim's right. All Hail Jackman! He had this pegged right from the git go. I just wish he wasn't so reticent about expressing his true feelings about Maeweather.

And here's Arum's very latest on a Floyd/Manny get together:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/here-s-bob-arum-s-scheme-to-force-a-superfight-between-floyd-mayweather-and-manny-pacquiao-080617300-boxing.html

Jim, I think you're going to have to pony up the $65+ for that one.

jackman

« Reply #42 on: 13 Apr 2014, 02:48 pm »
Jackman is da man.  Hail Jackman.  Wishful thinking blinded me.  See, I like both guys equally and I like change.  That is NOT to say that I agree with the decision in the first fight, please.  Manny was the better fighter then and the only reason it was close was that Manny took his foot off the gas too much.  And Bradley can't change spots :duh:.  All Manny had to do was be busier.

Thanks, but I suffered from wishful thinking asuch as anyone. I was the one who predicted a knockout. Bradley can't punch but he can take a good punch. The guy has a chin. Also, that head but was no surprise to anyone who has seen Timmy fight. His style is to lunge in at times with his head. It might be accidental but I've seen him do it quite a bit over the years.

Now we will see if pretty Girl Floyd grows some nuts and agrees to fight mannu

ken

« Reply #43 on: 13 Apr 2014, 05:16 pm »
I admittedly don't follow boxing but when HBO replayed the first fight a couple of weeks ago I watched it for I think 9 rounds and the fight seemed so one sided I had little difficulty pulling myself away to do something else.  Like I said earlier I don't  follow boxing  and was stunned to find out later Manny had lost that fight and figured he was KO'd  but that was not the case,  I' guessing he just put in cruise control for the final three rounds but up until I turned it off there was no way that Bradley was even close to winning that fight and maybe won two rounds tops and I think I'm being generous.
    It Sounds like Manny came to fight last night and once again dominated Bradley :thumb:

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #44 on: 15 Apr 2014, 08:25 pm »
"I don't always brawl anymore, but when I do, the guy in the other corner wishes I didn't."

Stay thirsty, Manny.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/10785683/manny-pacquiao-most-interesting-man-world

dB Cooper

« Reply #45 on: 16 Apr 2014, 03:13 am »
Good fight. Bradley gained back some respect by the way he fought and by waiting until the last round to headbutt Manny.

Maidana is a riskier opponent for Floyd than some think. He is a hard hitting bodypuncher with the discipline to stick to his fight plan. In other words, he may not fall for PBF's favorite strategy of making the other guy headhunt and miss, so FM may have to run rather than lay on the ropes doing shoulder rolls for half the fight. He may not have the legs anymore if he is forced onto his bicycle. I would love to see him KO'd by a bodyshot.

Manny should pay somebody to show up at all of Floyd's public appearances in a duck suit. Maybe that would goad him into the ring.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #46 on: 16 Apr 2014, 03:57 am »
"I would love to see him KO'd by a bodyshot."  I'll second that, large, decimal Boy.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #47 on: 16 Apr 2014, 04:27 am »

Am I misrembering history ... But when they were slugging away and exchanging their punches in bunches, didn't that fight remind you of a Sugar Ray/Hitman Hearns bout?

jackman

« Reply #48 on: 16 Apr 2014, 12:28 pm »
Am I misrembering history ... But when they were slugging away and exchanging their punches in bunches, didn't that fight remind you of a Sugar Ray/Hitman Hearns bout?

Bradley doesnt deserve to be mentioned in that company.  Also, that Leonard Hearns fight was special. Very few live up to the standard set in that fight. I'm glad Brad decided to fight and the judges got it right.

As much as I wanted to see a PAC man Floyd fight, it looks like the sun is setting on the allure for several reasons.  Both fighters are showing decline, although they are far from shot.  They are no longer the best in the game and that's what made it interesting to me. There are too many better, more compelling march ups I would rather see, although the thought of Floyd getting knocked out is still something I want to see.

dB Cooper

« Reply #49 on: 16 Apr 2014, 12:54 pm »
Agree with jackman, part of the appeal was to see two future Hall of Famers meet at (or near) their peak, which was one of the things that made Leonard-Hearns special.

Maybe if Pacman was in a wheelchair Floyd would take the fight. He would have long ago if he was as confident as he acts.

jackman

« Reply #50 on: 16 Apr 2014, 01:35 pm »
Yep, those types of fights are no fun. Unfirtunately there have been so many in boxing history.  Marciano/Joe Lewis, Leonard/Hagler (even though IMO haggler won the fight), so any later Duran fights,as did Ali. I'm afraid Manny will finally get his shot when he's got nothing left.

The worst one was probably Lewis/Marciano.  They said Marcoano didn't want the fight because Lewis was his hero and he knew he was too old to fight.  Lewis needed the money and the rest is history. Legend also says Rocky cried after he beat up the faded former champion.  I doubt Floyd will show that kind of respect if that ever happens.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #51 on: 20 Apr 2014, 01:54 pm »
Saw the Pac/Brad replay.  The Pacster came ready to fight for a full 3 minutes a round this time.  Bradley fought pretty much like I thought he would, like a man with something to prove, but he couldn't be the boss.  Bradley throws rounder punches outside to Pacman's straighter ones inside and straighter shots get there first and are generally better placed as they were for the judges and all to see.  Anyway, it was a good decision and both guys fought hard.  The public got their money's worth. 

I suppose the promoter's will test the waters to see if there is enough interest for a third fight*, but Manny has beaten Bradley twice now, I think most people would agree, so, like Jackman, I'm not crazy for the idea.  But, it's not about us, it's about what the promoters think the market will bear.  And, if Marquez does well in his upcoming fight, damned if he couldn't be in the picture once more.  Not THE fight the public wants, but that one ain't happening. 

*The ink may have been dry on that since the first contracts were signed.  I'm direly suspicious of the sport in case you can't tell.

Dang . . Bernard Hopkins became a world champion again on Saturday.  Don't know a thing about the fight, however. 
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2014, 04:19 pm by jimdgoulding »

dB Cooper

« Reply #52 on: 20 Apr 2014, 06:57 pm »
BHOP was already a champ; now he's a unified champ.

Gotta give him his props. Unlike Roy Jones, he can still fight. Still wish he'd hang them up and start a new path as one of the great cornermen though. How many blows to the head do you want to take.

Chazro

« Reply #53 on: 20 Apr 2014, 08:57 pm »
Saw it also.  Max Kellerman totally got it right in his closing commentary saying Pacquiao has won 19-20 of the 24 rounds these two have fought and that for this reason any true interest (besides buck$) in a 3rd fight will be nil.  Of course this doesn't mean it won't happen and Jim Lampley feels it's inevitable.  Kellerman (IMO the best boxing commentator of our time) also made the point about the different levels these two boxers are at with Pacquiao being an all-time great and Bradley basically being a wannabe.  I know I have zero interest in a rematch.  Was also flipping between HBO and Shotime to catch glimpses of the Hopkins fight.  Watching the Pacman fighting in his intensely busy style vs. watching Hopkins standing there basically posing was like watching the tortoise and the hare!  While I'll give Bhop props for still being in the game, I'd NEVER pay to see him fight.  Prior to the Hopkins fight Paulie Malignaggi lost in brutal fashion to Shawn Porter.  Porter's a force of nature but he's so aggressive that his style looks sloppy/dirty.  He's got true skill so even though he's a Champ I'm hoping his style will mature as I saw no need for those types of tactics.  Between Shotime and HBO it was a good night of Boxing!;)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #54 on: 22 Apr 2014, 04:21 am »
Well, I'm beginning to think there will be a third fight.  Bradley surely would relish one.  He didn't do what he is good at and he must be thinking the same thing.  There is positively no reason why Pacman should want it, tho.  I imagine he wants to save his energy, and he should- he doesn't need the money, for you know who and his PR people should push like crazy for it anyway they can.  Embarrass Mayweather into it.  Demand the powers that be mandate it :dunno: if that's possible.   

Alvarado/Marquez may be a sumthin else fight and if it is it gives Mayweather options to get around a fight with Manny.  The longer he waits, the better for him he thinks.  Regrettably, so do I.

jackman

« Reply #55 on: 26 Apr 2014, 05:08 am »
Yep, Kellerman is very good. There is no reason for a third fight. Manny clearly won both fights and Bradley is not an exciting guy to watch. I'd rather see Manny fight someone new if Floyd continues to dodge him. Lastly, I agree that Bhop is a very boring guy to watch fight. He is the opposite of Manny; no action. I will never watch another Floyd fight unless he fights Manny.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #56 on: 3 May 2014, 09:51 pm »
Anybody know what Mayweather's purse is tonite?  If it's large why would he risk a fight with Pacman?  He's in the driver's seat on a fight with Manny.  It just may never happen.  Maybe in two years when Manny's condition has deteriorated more.  It's not like Floyd needs the money, I shouldn't think.

dB Cooper

« Reply #57 on: 3 May 2014, 09:56 pm »
Mayweather reportedly has a guarantee of $32 million.

Why should he take the chance with Pacquiao? Because he says he's the best and wants to fight the best. Yeah sure. So prove it.

F*** Floyd. I hope Maidana sticks to his body-centric fight plan and cashes in on the punchers' chance. I would love to see Floyd finish the fight on one knee unable to get up from the canvas.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #58 on: 3 May 2014, 10:04 pm »
Mayweather reportedly has a guarantee of $32 million.

Why should he take the chance with Pacquiao? Because he says he's the best and wants to fight the best. Yeah sure. So prove it.

F*** Floyd. I hope Maidana sticks to his body-centric fight plan and cashes in on the punchers' chance. I would love to see Floyd finish the fight on one knee unable to get up from the canvas.
I'm with YOU, dB.  It would be interesting to see what kind of turnout there is for the fight and ShowTime's receipts.  I bet it won't be near as good as Pacman/Bradley.  But, Floyd's money is guaranteed.   

jackman

« Reply #59 on: 3 May 2014, 10:50 pm »
I'm with you guys.  Floyd is a pu$$y and is better at running his mouth and beating hand-picked opponents than being a real champion.  As long as idiots are dumb enought to keep shelling out cash, he will continue to do exactly what he is doing.  Miadana has about a .000001% chance of winning tonight.  He's too slow and lacks the skill to put Floyd away.  Floyd knows this, that's why he accepted the fight.  I don't even think Floyd has the guts to fight Bradley. 

I can't figure out why they don't have manditory challengers for these guys.  Why is Floyd allowed to have a belt and be called champion without having to fight Manny?  Boxing is so corrupt these days, it makes me sick.  Hopefully this guy will get lucky and catch Floyd with a good punch.  Don't count on it!

Jack