Cheers!
Antun

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #861 on: 23 Mar 2015, 05:49 am »
So far the PCM is 50/50 BDA3 vs BDA2

james

Any expectation that'll change (that the BDA3 will sound better than the BDA2)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #862 on: 23 Mar 2015, 10:10 am »
Any expectation that'll change (that the BDA3 will sound better than the BDA2)?

Hi Grit

In blind testing it is a really close call with PCM.  The reason for the BDA3 is to allow DSD and HDMI playback to the mix.

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #863 on: 23 Mar 2015, 12:01 pm »
Just making sure I don't need to upgrade my BDA-2.  :lol:

What happens when you send a 5.1 (or any multi-channel) signal via HDMI to the BDA-3? I assume it either uses just the L/R  channels, or it just can't lock onto the signal?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #864 on: 23 Mar 2015, 12:40 pm »
Just making sure I don't need to upgrade my BDA-2.  :lol:

What happens when you send a 5.1 (or any multi-channel) signal via HDMI to the BDA-3? I assume it either uses just the L/R  channels, or it just can't lock onto the signal?

Have not tried that yet.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #865 on: 23 Mar 2015, 04:05 pm »
Would you ever consider making a muti-channel DAC?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #866 on: 23 Mar 2015, 04:26 pm »

Hi

Maybe some time in the future but nothing on the horizon at this point.

james

tatcom

« Reply #867 on: 25 Mar 2015, 09:22 am »

it's called the SP3 :D

Rod_S

« Reply #868 on: 26 Mar 2015, 11:08 am »
That would of course work however I was thinking for those who have a SSP or receiver that doesn't have the ability to accept DSD having a multi-channel DAC would be a way around that. But that would of course mean updating the BDP's to output multichannel PCM and DSD in order to feed the multi-channel into a new BDA then from there into the multi-channel inputs of the receiver/SSP.

scirica

« Reply #869 on: 6 Apr 2015, 10:21 pm »
Anyone else refreshing the Bryston home page waiting for the BDA-3 official announcement? I know I am!

Come on James!!

Phil A

« Reply #870 on: 6 Apr 2015, 11:55 pm »
Anyone else refreshing the Bryston home page waiting for the BDA-3 official announcement? I know I am!

Come on James!!

Patience - I'm sure they are testing it (as indicated in James' posts).  Products with cutting edge technology need a bit more time.  I'm sure it's not far off.  Yes I have checked the website a couple of times of the past month.

bjski

« Reply #871 on: 7 Apr 2015, 01:50 am »

Come on James!!

I have a deposit on a BDA-3 along with a Bot.

scirica

« Reply #872 on: 7 Apr 2015, 02:58 am »
Patience - I'm sure they are testing it (as indicated in James' posts).  Products with cutting edge technology need a bit more time.  I'm sure it's not far off.  Yes I have checked the website a couple of times of the past month.

Yes, I am encouged by the amount of testing they are doing to make sure they get it right. I love my BDA-2 and don't want them to rush anything either!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #873 on: 7 Apr 2015, 10:24 am »
Yes, I am encouged by the amount of testing they are doing to make sure they get it right. I love my BDA-2 and don't want them to rush anything either!

Hi Folks

Yes we used it at the recent Montreal audio show and it worked great for 4 days running.  Just working on the DSD side currently and I am hoping we will be in production in about 60 days.

james

gdbalp

« Reply #874 on: 8 Apr 2015, 03:04 am »
Hey James,

Sounds like another Bryston winner for 2015.... :thumb:

And wondering if the new USB Type - C connector will be used for the BDA-3 and future product developments?  This new connector meets 3.1 USB specifications ( 10gb/s + power) and there is no worries on orientation with male and female connection points...

Ciao, Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #875 on: 8 Apr 2015, 09:40 am »
Hey James,

Sounds like another Bryston winner for 2015.... :thumb:

And wondering if the new USB Type - C connector will be used for the BDA-3 and future product developments?  This new connector meets 3.1 USB specifications ( 10gb/s + power) and there is no worries on orientation with male and female connection points...

Ciao, Luigi

Hi Luigi

We have not looked at it yet but speed is not really required with the BDP 2 as USB 2 is 10 times faster than required for high resolution audio files.

James

scirica

« Reply #876 on: 19 Apr 2015, 04:17 am »
I have a deposit on a BDA-3 along with a Bot.
Put my deposit in tonight.  It's not like saving accounts are paying any interest these days, so I might as well "loan it" to my dealer to make sure I get one of the first units.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #877 on: 19 Apr 2015, 06:56 am »
After doing some reading, it appears the BDA-3 will be controllable via ethernet? That'd be a nice change. My SP3 and BDP-2 are ethernet controllable, as are my Tivo and Oppo. If the BDA-3 is also, I could move to an entirely ethernet controllable system and get rid of the IR sensors!

I wonder why Bryston doesn't usually put the 3.5mm IR jacks on the back of most units. The SP3 has one, but the BDA-2 and BDP-2 don't.

R. Daneel

« Reply #878 on: 29 Apr 2015, 09:52 am »
Hi James!

Out of curiosity - have you tried to make comparisons between high-res PCM and DSD using the same music on the BDA-3?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #879 on: 29 Apr 2015, 10:59 am »
Hi James!

Out of curiosity - have you tried to make comparisons between high-res PCM and DSD using the same music on the BDA-3?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Yes

And it supports my conclusion that the file format does not determine a quality recording.

james