NaO Note II RS Build

danvprod

NaO Note II RS Build
« on: 20 Aug 2014, 01:59 pm »
ETA - 11/1/2016 I've decided to Build a pair of the NaO Note II RS.
« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2016, 06:54 pm by danvprod »

Doublej

I would build a pair of speakers from the master, e.g. build the LXMini. The plans for them were released in mid July so it will take a little time for the reviews to start coming in.

danvprod

Thanks Doublej -- The LXMini do look quite intriguing the issues, I think also because the drivers have been backordered in the US, there has been some lag on folks building the speakers this summer.

I like the prospect of downsizing my setup a little bit -- i.e. just going to a single multi-channel amplifier and preamp + the MiniDSP. My speaker system is a giant JBL horn setup right now, which sound great but I am thinking of slimming everything down, combining my vinyl playback system with my computer playback system. But I'm not sure.

The NaOs look quite interesting, too.

gab

Why not build the LX521? Its Linkwitz's finest yet. Lots of reviews on his user support site.

gab

danvprod

Gab --

My listening room does not support the dimensions that the LX521 requires. The room is too small to get the speakers far enough from the wall. This is why the LXMini intrigued me -- It had looser requirements for placement that I could better accommodate. I'd love a huge space to be able to support the LX521s, though. That speaker looks amazing. 

gab

Gab --

My listening room does not support the dimensions that the LX521 requires. The room is too small to get the speakers far enough from the wall. This is why the LXMini intrigued me -- It had looser requirements for placement that I could better accommodate. I'd love a huge space to be able to support the LX521s, though. That speaker looks amazing.

Ahh! The room size. The LXMini should fit the bill. I think you might run into the same restrictions with the NaO Note II RS or Hestia V designs. Probably min 3' from all walls as a minimum. I've read the LXMini can go very close to the wall if need be.

gab

danvprod

Here is a crude drawing of my listening space. It's pretty much a square and also double as my office (and the occasional guest room). I'm thinking down the road some room treatment may be in order.

ttan98

danvprod,

I like to suggest you put your query at DIYAudio.com as well because there are many expertises there and willing to assist you.

LXMini requires high powered amp., greater than 50w/channel, better still 100W/channel. I am currently experimenting with this speakers configuration using my own drivers.

matevana

I run the Hestia V Dome in a bedroom, only about 24" away from the front wall due to the cardoid pattern on the dome tweeter. There is no image smearing at this distance. Unlike the others you mention, it is a passive design requiring no MiniDSP and the top section can be run on a single amp. It is also highly efficient and will do well with a relatively low wattage amplifier. There is a complete CNC flatpack available from Melby Audio for the top section, which greatly simplifies having to machine an otherwise complex baffle. Some folks have built this as a top section only, opting to add a bass cabinet later if needed.

Here's a pic showing the distance from the wall.

I may be a bit partial, but I am also very approachable and would be glad to offer advice throughout your build, if you so choose. I would also add that the other two designs are top notch and I am sure you will be happy with whichever you choose.

Ed

danvprod

Thank you, Ed. That is very kind to offer to help during the build. I really do like your design. I need to sit down and put together a spreadsheet of the cost of the build. I like the idea of being able to run the main panels with just my Tube 300b amps, and use my Rotel RB1050 to power the bass enclosures.

2' from the back wall would work in my room.

danvprod

Just did a sim of my room in REW, and also attached the measurements of my current speakers. The sim is pretty much dead on about what is going on in low-end. I have that big boost at around 40, and a huge suck-out from ~50-125.