Be here now: Leonard Cohen lights up

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
Be here now: Leonard Cohen lights up
« on: 22 Sep 2014, 12:55 pm »
I didn't know whether to post this in Health and Fitness or Vintage Audio ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/opinion/sunday/too-young-to-die-too-old-to-worry.html?action=click&contentCollection=N.Y.%20%2F%20Region&module=MostEmailed&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article

In today's NYT, an interesting article on our overly- medicated society and Leonard Cohen's decision to resume smoking again on his 80th birthday, which was last weekend. At what age do we say " Forget these pills" and start living life instead of trying to prevent death. A sobering thought, biomarkers for disease can now tell us when to plan for suicide or to just stop worrying and "light up".

I found the follow-up post below in the comment section particularly amusing: a plug-in reel-reel? Was that the tape version of the Highway HiFi?
http://www.roadkillontheweb.com/images/s_magad.jpg

Maureen O'Brien Middleburg Heights, Ohio Yesterday
"I love Leonard Cohen. My boyfriend, in 1967, put Cohen's music on a reel to reel tape recorder, plugged it into the car lighter, and played it for me. In the driveway. In a warm, dark, late night of summer. I fell in love with him and Leonard Cohen and love them still. That night was one of those pleasures in the moment that I still remember. If that does not persuade him to put the cigarette down 'til ninety, well, that's all I got."

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Be here now: Leonard Cohen lights up
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2014, 02:14 pm »
I don't see how he can do it. 35 years ago I dropped the habit and anymore I can't stand the smell of a lit cigarette. If I was going to smoke anything, I would take advantage of pot being legal in my state. Maybe I will when I'm 80.

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2014, 03:31 pm »
I hate "running the gauntlet" of smokers lurking around building entrances. I have an immediate psychological and physical (nose plugs up) reaction.  :cuss:

It seems strange to me that most smokers (at least the ones I know) literally don't have money to burn. They barely make it through the month and their cars are trash. But still they find $200+ a month to burn.  What does a pack cost nowadays?

Me, I want death by chocolate.  :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2014, 06:09 pm »
I have not had a drink in closing on 19 years.  My wife still does, and I think that is an important model for my kids.  I bartend every party I go to (I was a bartender back in university) and most of my friends LOVE it when I come out with them, as they have an automatic DD if they live anywhere close to me.  I am exceedingly comfortable with my reality (alcoholic), and share it freely if folks ask why I don't drink.  ALL my close friends offer me drinks all the time as a joke, and we all enjoy it.

I have not had a smoke (tobacco) in over 12 years now.  I could care less if you smoke around me at a party.  I chose to come, and you chose to smoke.

I have been diabetic (type 1) for over 12 years now.  Eat all the donuts around me you want, I am used to this too!

If Canada legalizes the green leaves as per some of the US states, well I am sure I will find a loop hole in my moral code for a little fun now and again.

I can respect Leonard's decision.  It is his life.

Same for all others who make decisions on a daily basis.

I'd prefer if the smokers would respect the signage and smoke where they are "allowed to" and if they do that, I am totally fine with it.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2014, 07:53 pm »
I have not had a smoke (tobacco) in over 12 years now.  I could care less if you smoke around me at a party.  I chose to come, and you chose to smoke.

I have been diabetic (type 1) for over 12 years now.  Eat all the donuts around me you want, I am used to this too!

Not really the same is it?
Would you be ok with my smoking in the same room with you if you had COPD?

Its not like when i eat donuts I am throwing sugar at your face.

Quote from: mcgsxr
I can respect Leonard's decision.  It is his life.

Same for all others who make decisions on a daily basis.

I'd prefer if the smokers would respect the signage and smoke where they are "allowed to" and if they do that, I am totally fine with it.
His life yes, but it will be our health system, that means yours and my tax dollers paying to keep him breathing. If he choose to not go to the hopsital and does not force his care givers to breath his smoke then sure, he is not affecting anyone else.

Just playing devils advocate here. I work with people at end-of life and the pain and cost assoiciated with lung diseases is astonishing.

For the record I belive that personal freedom means the right to injest whatever we want as long as it does not inflict harm on anther person, or animal. So go ahead and smoke whatever you want!

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2014, 09:02 pm »
He doesn't have a thrifty phenotype, so smoking will never be as much of a burden upon him.

My grandmother didn't either, she was 93 and smoked all day every day pretty much. She also had a grapefruit for breakfast with coffee, probably while smoking. I'm not sure when it started but she slept in a giant recliner, and she was small; her feet didn't touch the floor from the recliner.

Who you are, and habits, have a lot to do with the affects of these things. In some cases they affect people in other ways that aren't good, but considerably more manageable depending on lifestyle. Being stubborn, or an asshole, whatever, from your health is more tolerated than needing medical care all the time.

I don't care that he's smoking. I'm not sure why it's a news article.

asliarun

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2014, 09:30 pm »
Not really the same is it?
Would you be ok with my smoking in the same room with you if you had COPD?

Its not like when i eat donuts I am throwing sugar at your face.
His life yes, but it will be our health system, that means yours and my tax dollers paying to keep him breathing. If he choose to not go to the hopsital and does not force his care givers to breath his smoke then sure, he is not affecting anyone else.

From a neutral observer's perspective, I think the whole anti-smoking thing is oversold and overbought. Of course, it is a dirty habit, and yes, it is not civil to do it in public (especially in crowded places where people can smell second hand smoke).

But we also go overboard in this logic. If you are trying to guilt-shame people by using extreme examples like COPD or tax-payer healthcare dollars, then should we not use that same logic for all the other sh*t people routinely do?

That big gas guzzling and polluting SUV? That McMansion that probably quadruples the amount of coal required to provide electricity for central heating and private home theater and... class A amplification (sorry, couldn't resist the last one.. heh  :lol:)
That private swimming pool? Or how about alcohol or sugar intake or obesity or junk food that is also wasting tax dollars in terms of public health care? Where do we draw the line at moral policing? Arguably, football causes more serious injury and brain damage that even smoking. Should we ban that too? And we even allow our kids to play it... unlike smoking.

Sorry, I am not trying to be a bugbear.. just pointing out that the anti-smoking movement have made all our reactions over the top. For what it is worth, I don't smoke. But it feels like we use selective logic when it comes to smoking. And I resent the fact that mass media manipulated us this way. Just saying...

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2014, 10:25 pm »
I am glad to see various opinions shared, I think they are all valid personally.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2014, 10:42 pm »
It'a a well known fact that none of the Grateful Dead smoked tobacco:
http://www.iflscience.com/brain/magic-mushrooms-could-help-smokers-kick-habit

JRace

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2014, 11:18 pm »
But we also go overboard in this logic. If you are trying to guilt-shame people by using extreme examples like COPD or tax-payer healthcare dollars, then should we not use that same logic for all the other sh*t people routinely do?
<SNIP>
Sorry, I am not trying to be a bugbear.. just pointing out that the anti-smoking movement have made all our reactions over the top. For what it is worth, I don't smoke. But it feels like we use selective logic when it comes to smoking. And I resent the fact that mass media manipulated us this way. Just saying...
Well I wasn't trying to guilt-shame anyone, just thought being a diabetic and watching people eat doughnuts is not the same having a chronic respitory problem and breathing second-hand cigarette smoke.

Maybe the reason mass-media is trying to manipulate us into thinking smoking=bad is because they spent many years telling us how great smoking is for you.

On the other hand it is probably just about money.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2014, 11:27 pm »
As a somewhat related factoid: according to the book "Sugar Blues" by William Dufty, in regions of the world (and there can't be many now) where people smoke tobacco that is cured naturally - that is, by hanging the leaves outside under cover to dry instead of 'force curing' (in low temperature ovens) which is the norm - there is no correlation between smoking and lung cancer. This is attributed to the fact that it is the inhaling of the byproducts of the combustion of sugar which is the carcinogenic factor, and naturally cured tobacco has much lower sugar content than force cured.

http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Blues-William-Dufty/dp/0446343129

As a further aside; the history of the printing of the first and second edition of that book is interesting. The manuscript for the first copy was 'lost' by the printer (this really never happens) and since there was no carbon copy the book had to be re-written and was sent to another printer. That first run of 2000 went out to retailers bu basically disappeared off the shelves. The third try finally got the book out there. I bought a copy in around 1973, I think, although I see it is said to have been written in 1975. I don't think that is correct.

JRace

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2014, 02:27 pm »
As a somewhat related factoid: according to the book "Sugar Blues" by William Dufty, in regions of the world (and there can't be many now) where people smoke tobacco that is cured naturally - that is, by hanging the leaves outside under cover to dry instead of 'force curing' (in low temperature ovens) which is the norm - there is no correlation between smoking and lung cancer. This is attributed to the fact that it is the inhaling of the byproducts of the combustion of sugar which is the carcinogenic factor, and naturally cured tobacco has much lower sugar content than force cured.

http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Blues-William-Dufty/dp/0446343129

As a further aside; the history of the printing of the first and second edition of that book is interesting. The manuscript for the first copy was 'lost' by the printer (this really never happens) and since there was no carbon copy the book had to be re-written and was sent to another printer. That first run of 2000 went out to retailers bu basically disappeared off the shelves. The third try finally got the book out there. I bought a copy in around 1973, I think, although I see it is said to have been written in 1975. I don't think that is correct.
There is also no connection found between smoking marijuana and lung cancer....

Could it be that all the crap that is added to cigarettes be causing the cancer...????

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2014, 03:04 pm »
I read this somewhere or maybe it was the movie about the insider witness against big tobacco. The gist of it is that cigarettes have additives to make them a more efficient nicotine delivery system. The manufacturers want the first puff to be AHHH!  :thankyou:

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2014, 03:14 pm »
Sooo why then do are there high rates of cancer for people that work in tobacco fields?

Nicotene kills cells, and there's reprocussions of that, period. . .

This reminds me of people thinking a pure enough vodka wouldn't give a hangover....

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2014, 05:49 pm »
Sooo why then do are there high rates of cancer for people that work in tobacco fields?

I think that may be unrelated to the effect I am speaking of - the carcinogenic effect of inhaling the byproducts of sugar combustion. It seems nicotine itself, though addictive, is not carcinogenic.

The cancer and other afflictions of tobacco field workers may be more related to heavy exposure to nicotine from the leaf surface, as well as to the many chemicals used to control the various pests:
http://tinyurl.com/p3usv23

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2014, 06:22 pm »
Carcinogen is in reference to something that damages DNA I believe. However while nicotine may not do that, cellular death can influence other attributes that are related to cancer. 

Are you talking about AGE's ?

Scott F.

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2014, 06:31 pm »
I don't mean to pour gas on what is now a managed fire but nobody seems to ever look at the flip side of the "death by smoking" coin.

His life yes, but it will be our health system, that means yours and my tax dollers paying to keep him breathing.

To address this directly, lets say you don''t smoke and in turn you live another 10+ years. Just how much does that ten years cost the taxpayer?
 Let's make some more assumptions here mostly because I'm too lazy to do the research, Let's say the average smoker dies at (say) 72 and the non-smoker makes it ten years further. Let's also say decrepitude starts setting in at about age 75. With decrepitude, all kinds of health maladies go hand in hand. You start having individual organ problems, liver, heart, kidneys, bladder, eyes, hearing, you name it. Not to mention by decrepitude, chances are you've probably had either a stint or bypass surgery (big assumption).

So, now you and your other geriatrics sit around discussing your 'procedures', eating a dozen prescription meds, none of which cost less than $50/pill and plan for your next doctors visit which is now close to once a month. After eating your fiber filled breakfast at the retirement community, you get up from the table and you trip over your shoelace, fall and break your hip and dislocate your shoulder. Here comes the ambulance and off they cart you. You get to the hospital and they find your knee replacement from three years ago when they do the XRay. No big deal, they operate, pin everything back together and it's two months of rest and physical rehabilitation, learning to walk again except, now you are stuck with a walker, even after rehab.

I could go on and on but my point to all of this is; exactly how expensive is it (to the almighty tax payer) for you to live an extra ten years because you didn't smoke. Smoking? Well, I've seen three people die of COPD and/or lung cancer. It's a relatively quick process with only a couple or three trips to the emergency room and it all finally ending in hospice for about a week. The hospital stays were about three days each and only intensive enough to get the oxygen levels of the blood up to they point they can be released. Remember, death from smoking is the bodies inability to absorb oxygen. It's not major surgery with teams of doctors each time there is an emergency room visit.

So in my experience and best estimation, smoking yourself to death actually SAVES the taxpayer money. Why? You die earlier and faster.

Trouble with all this anti-smoking rhetoric, NO ONE wants to see past the propaganda and look at the comparative facts (or at least facts as I perceive them).

...am I advocating smoking? Nope.
Do I wish I could quit? Yep.
Do I think the argument I just made is over looked purposely? Yep, because it doesn't fit the anti-smoking narrative.

...me, I want to go just like my Dad....heart attack. 30 seconds and it's over and I'm sure it's just the way he wanted it.

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2014, 06:52 pm »
Scott,

You make a lot of ASSumptions.

Many smokers will require medical assistance sooner and to a greater degree than non-smokers. They may not necessarily live longer but they may require as much or more medical care.

And it isn't just the harm they do to themselves. For instance, my non-smoking baby girl neighbor. Her mother smoked so the baby was born prematurely and with defects.  She spent the first four weeks of her life in a hospital and had two surgeries. Woops, she had not smoked one cigarette so I guess that blows my theory that non-smokers need less medical care.

And yes, I don't need to hear about outliers like a 101-year old who smoked since they were 15. There will always be outliers.

I worked for Manville Corp.  They filed bankruptcy because of all the asbestos related illnesses. It was well documented that smokers suffered a higher incidence because smoking killed the cilia (or whatever) in the lungs that help to expel particles.

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 24 Sep 2014, 07:26 pm »
How are smokers treated in Mexico? Alcoholics are left to die...

Scott F.

« Reply #19 on: 24 Sep 2014, 07:30 pm »
Scott,

You make a lot of ASSumptions.

Many smokers will require medical assistance sooner and to a greater degree than non-smokers. They may not necessarily live longer but they may require as much or more medical care.

That entire statement is one huge ASSumption.

And it isn't just the harm they do to themselves. For instance, my non-smoking baby girl neighbor. Her mother smoked so the baby was born prematurely and with defects.  She spent the first four weeks of her life in a hospital and had two surgeries. Woops, she had not smoked one cigarette so I guess that blows my theory that non-smokers need less medical care.

And yes, I don't need to hear about outliers like a 101-year old who smoked since they were 15. There will always be outliers.

...talk about outliers!
We had three perfectly healthy kids, not a one born premature, underweight or with an arm coming out of their forehead....and yes, my wife smoked at the time. She has since quit.

I worked for Manville Corp.  They filed bankruptcy because of all the asbestos related illnesses. It was well documented that smokers suffered a higher incidence because smoking killed the cilia (or whatever) in the lungs that help to expel particles.

...and your point is exactly what? That if you smoke and inhaled asbestos you die quicker? That's pretty obvious. If you didn't smoke and inhaled asbestos, there is a distinct possibility you'll end up with asbestosis and die early anyway. What did they predict? Forty years after inhalation the symptoms show up?

You apparently didn't get the gist of my post. Let me clarify. The longer you live, the more (mostly medical) tax dollars you suck out of society. Conversely, if you smoke and die early, you cost society less (medical) tax dollars. Nobody, that I'm aware of, has performed that study. Anything said or typed to the contrary is purely speculative and full of (and using your term) ASSumptions.

...Oh, and give this a read. This from the 'architect'. All you have to do is associate everything he talks about here with dollars. Doing that [sort of] reinforces my theory.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/09/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75/379329/